HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Oral Herceptin (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=24737)

John21 07-27-2006 08:08 AM

Oral Herceptin

Does anyone know if Herceptin is in or will be in and oral form? It is such a pain for my wife to go in the city every 3 weeks for the injection.

Thanks

Kaye 07-27-2006 08:44 AM

Injection? I thought it was given through IV only. What type of problem is your wife going in every 3 weeks--is it due to location of treatment center? If that is the problem, perhaps you can find a facility closer to home.
Technically, as it has been written, Herceptin has been approved for weekly injection only as of this time, so if it is as effective with this protocol, she is lucky to be able to get it this was.
I was fortunate to have been approved to received weekly Herceptin for a year out-of-protocol starting almost 5 years ago. I attribute my being here today because of that. Taking the time to do this was a minor inconvenience and 'small price' to pay for my survival. Perhaps your wife might feel differently is she were to get more of an understanding of what Her2+ breast cancer meant before Herceptin?
I had to drive 65 miles from work to get to our treatment facility. I did it on Friday afternoons, generally leaving about 2:30. I was fortunate that I was allowed to make the time up which really helped, too. If anything, I do wish that I could have had it for more than one year.

StephN 07-27-2006 11:38 PM

"Injection" means "infusion"

Kaye -
On my health coverage statements they call my Herceptin infusion a "drug injection."

This does not mean a "shot" with a syringe in the normal meaning.

With so many women getting Herceptin right on top of or with chemo and radiation, it IS harder as they have not had a recovery period from the other treatments.

I go every 3 weeks - and this is for LIFE. I have to do into downtown and I live in the burbs. Just have to schedule around the peak traffic hours as best I can.

John21 07-28-2006 06:24 AM

Injection/IV same thing to me.

Cathya 07-28-2006 11:08 AM

John;

We all have our own biggest problem.....lol.....and I'm sure this is not your wifes really but I do sympathize. As much the trouble it's a constant reminder that we're tied to the drug (and need it and why!!) and our schedule is fixed because of it. It seems to me that when asked this same question I was told no...it would not be available in the future in pill form. However, let's be optimistic....lapatinib is in pill forms and who knows what the future holds. I wish your wife well and a life long enough to not need any treatments......instead a cure.

Cathy

Jean 07-28-2006 08:04 PM

Interesting

Just the other day as I was having chemo/herceptin trt the onc nurse was discussing that in the near future the herceptin will be coming in pill form.
I am now sorry I did not question how long? I will do so next week and see what I can find out for us.

Jean

sadie 08-19-2006 07:08 PM

I was told at the beginning of my chemo treatments that the only reason Herceptin was not given in pill form was because they were afraid too many people would forget to take their dose off and on.
I'm glad to hear that it will be in pill form (hopefully soon).

pbar 02-07-2011 08:36 PM

Re: Oral Herceptin

Can someone tell me why some of us get herceptin for 1 year and others longer? I am about to finish my year-long treatment with this..My Dr. told me that's it's simply an emperical #, and that 1 yr. seems to be that #..I realize it has it's potential negative effects on the heart, but if the MUGA scans remain o.k., I wonder why they don't advise us to continue with this life-saving drug? Also, has anyone experienced a dry-eye problem with herceptin? It's hard to know if this problem is a latent problem from the taxatere and carbo or is the herceptin the culprit?..I have had visual accuity changes as well within the past 3-4 months...Eye Dr. prescribed lotemax and restasis, plus hot compresses to the eyelids before bed to help open up the tear glands in the lids...This is very bothersome..Sure hopes it gets better after the herceptin is done..Thanks for any and all advise and support.

Unregistered 02-07-2011 09:21 PM

Hello, my wife has been on herceptin for at least 4 years now. She does get a regular mug a and all has been well. We rescently switched to the new Tdium herceptin version. Now this is a miracle drug. Kathy has had stage 4 for ever. She had mets to the bones and every scan lights up like a christmas tree with activity. Only 2 months on the tedium and some of the spots are disappearing. We thought they would be there forever! But hear they are getting smaller is a miracle. For the eyes, she always either complains of tearing or dryness. Hope this helps.

SoCalGal 02-07-2011 11:30 PM

There are a lot of women here on Tdium with very good results.

pbar 02-08-2011 10:04 AM

Can you tell me if the tdium herceptin version is IV or by mouth? Thank you.

Mary L 02-08-2011 03:56 PM

I had red, dry eyes the 4 years on was on Herceptin. When my treatments ended so did they red, dry eyes. I love Herceptin.
Mary L

PatE 02-08-2011 06:11 PM

Hi,
Just wanted to say that I get weekly Herceptin treatments and I am happy and grateful everytime I walk into the treatment room We are so blessed that we have this drug and it works so well. Anytime I start feeling sorry for myself, I just think of all the patients around me that don't have this option. We are certainly blessed. May they find a cure for all cancer really soon!!
Pat

Pam 08-29-2013 02:31 PM

My mom has been on Herceptin infusions for one year and her oncologist initially told her that would be all she needed. He is now telling her that she must continue for the rest of her life and she is depressed. The main reason is that for 12 years she has lived winters in a warm climate and summers in a northern state and the insurance will not cover the Herceptin in the southern state. Oral Herceptin would be ideal in her situation. I am going to see if she will join this support group because all of your stories are amazing and uplifting. Have any of you experienced this insurance dilemma?

tricia keegan 08-30-2013 12:50 PM

Pbar, you only get Herceptin for a year if diagnosed as early stage, if the cancer has spread to a distant organ or bones and a person is staged at stage iv they may be on and off Herceptin for life or as long as it helps them remain stable.

Lani 08-31-2013 08:27 PM

There is a new subcutaneous form of herceptin (sort of like the shots oeioke with rheumatoid arthritis give themselves) It is about to be approved in the EU, but when I talked to a RocheGenentech representative at a conference he said they have NO PLANS anytime in the future to try to get it FDA approved as well\

The problem is keeping it reliably cold while transporting it---it is ruined if it gets too hot or too cold.

Perhaps once details on Obamacare come out, it will make provision for those who travel between states(particularly if your state is on the federal program and the state she visits is too)...otherwise, if your mom is Stage IV ie, on herceptin for as long as it or a combo of it and another med work, if I understand it correctly she can apply for social security disability, which allows one to apply for Medicare two years after the SSD is granted.(If I understand it corretly, onlu those on dialysis get "instant" medicare once disability approved.

Medicare covers in all 50 states.

Hope this helps