HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Brain PET tomorrow (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=22579)

StephN 02-01-2006 05:01 PM

Brain PET tomorrow

Well gang, I am getting a little closer to finding out what, if anything, can be done for my Question Mark that showed up in my last brain MRI.
To recap, there is a little enlargement to the area of Gamma Knife one year ago in my cerebellum. This is after nine months of shrinkage.
So it was decided to try a PET scan of my brain to see if they can tell any more about what is going on before doing an actual open surgery.

If I am lucky, I will have results Friday. My docs are all in town this week!
One thing I did not know - no need for Atavan with the brain PET. Means I can drive myself and no one has to wait with me.

It will be a comfort to know that I have a lot of good energy and prayers coming from the wonderful people here.

Lisa 02-01-2006 05:04 PM

Steph,

Best of luck, sis. On my last PET scans, I asked for copies of the films on the spot and got them. If you think you could tell what you're looking at, you might give it a try. Of course, there were several spots on mine that were NOT mets, so it can make you a tad bit nervous.

Love and light,

Lisa

AlaskaAngel 02-01-2006 05:13 PM

Lots and lots of positive energy coming your way from Alaska, Steph, as you define what is going on and work your way forward with your doctors. Keep your eyes on the prize.

HUGS,

AlaskaAngel

Becky 02-01-2006 05:20 PM

Tons of good karma from the opposite coast is coming your way. I'll be thinking of you.

:) Becky

Maryanne 02-01-2006 05:33 PM

You will be in my thoughts and prayers tomorrow.
All the best,
Maryanne

al from Canada 02-01-2006 06:08 PM

Steph,

I will be thinking of you tomorrow. And, hoping for the best.

Good luck,
Al and Linda

karenann 02-01-2006 06:13 PM

My thoughts and prayers will be with you.

Love and hugs,
Karen

Helen 02-01-2006 06:47 PM

You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Best wishes,
Helen

RhondaH 02-01-2006 07:01 PM

Steph...

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Rhonda

Barbara H. 02-01-2006 07:11 PM

Hi Steph,
You know that I will be thinking of you over the next few days. You will get through this. We will all be waiting with you for the results.
Best wishes,
Barbara H.

eric 02-01-2006 07:12 PM

Steph...sending only good thoughts your way! Eric

Esther 02-01-2006 08:38 PM

Steph hope you find the answers you need from this Petscan.

Sandy H 02-01-2006 09:12 PM

Wishing you well. I just know you will get to the bottom of this and then be on top once again. Sending you prayers, hugs, Sandy

Lolly 02-01-2006 09:16 PM

Steph, I'll be thinking of you tomorrow for sure, you've been a rock for all of us and now it's your turn to soak up all the good energy coming your way :) Hope you get the report SOON. I know you'll keep us posted.

<3 Lolly

IRENE FROM TAMPA 02-02-2006 05:19 AM

sending you one of my angels

Steph

I am sending you one of my angels to watch over you - my prayers and best thoughts are with you today.

Good luck my friend

michele u 02-02-2006 06:48 AM

I'm thinking about you steph.

mickey 02-02-2006 06:57 AM

Wishing good news for you. What will a pet show that an mri won't? All my tumors have been confirmed with mri with no question of getting a pet. Am I missing an opportunity?

Joe 02-02-2006 07:03 AM

Stephanie,

Before surgical intervention, I would suggest a second opinion. I do know that Dr. Black's group in Los Angeles will review your MRI's for a $50.00 fee.

I am also confident that Christine's radiation oncologist here in San Diego would review your records and offer his opinion.

Regards
Joe

LisaJ 02-02-2006 07:44 AM

My thoughts and prayers are with you. Lots of good vibes!

pattyz 02-02-2006 08:25 AM

Mickey:
I believe the reason for pet is to determine active cancer or benign necrotic tissue. I do know there is an MRi/Pet type scan that can do this. Will include info here.
hugs,
pattyz

Performed together, MRI and MRS (magnetic resonance spectroscopy) produce an image of the brain that shows both morphology and tissue metabolism. Certain metabolites are present in greater or lesser quantities in tumors, compared to normal brain tissue. Choline is a cell-member marker that is found in increased quantities in malignant tumors.

BACKGROUND: There have been some reports that radiation necrosis can be controlled conservatively. There are rare cases showing progressive space-occupying radiation necrosis (PSORN). It is very difficult to control PSORN by conservative treatment. The purpose of this study was to evaluate the early diagnosis of those cases and the timing of surgery for patients with PSORN. METHOD: We have experienced some cases where quality of life was improved by the removal of PSORN after stereotactic radiosurgery (SRS) for brain metastases. Therefore, we evaluated retrospectively the diagnosis and treatment of six cases of symptomatic PSORN at approximately 6-12 months after SRS for metastatic brain tumours. FINDINGS: In all six cases, on Magnetic Resonance Imaging with Gd contrast material (Gd-MRI), PSORN was revealed as a ring-like enhanced mass with large perifocal oedema coupled with the appearance of neurological deficit. Proton Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy ((1)H-MRS) enabled us to differentiate PSORN from recurrence of metastases in all six cases.

MRS Applications in Oncology
By Pia C. Sundgren MD, PhD, Suresh K. Mukherji MD
Lately, MRS has been shown to be a helpful tool in evaluation of a new contrast-enhancing lesion at the site of a previously identified and treated primary intracranial neoplasm, differentiating recurrent tumor from radiation injury.

Radiation injury versus recurrent brain tumor . Contrast-enhancing lesions that arise on routine brain MR imaging at the site of a previously identified and treated primary intracranial neoplasm present a significant diagnostic dilemma. These lesions are in regions that have been subjected to radiation, with or without chemotherapy, and in some instances surgical resection. Many do not have specific imaging characteristics that will enable the neuroradiologist to discriminate tumor recurrence from the inflammatory or necrotic changes that can result from treatment with radiation. 28 Both recurrent tumors and radiation injury typically demonstrate enhancement with gadolinium. Specific spectroscopic changes that occur with radiation-induced necrosis have been reported and include slight depression of NAA and variable changes in choline. 29-32 A recent study reported a 93% success rate in differentiating recurrent tumor from radiation injury with significantly increased Cho/NAA and Cho/Cr ratios (P < 0.001) in areas of recurrent tumor compared to areas of radiation injury and compared to normal adjacent brain tissue. 33 These results also are supported by previous work utilizing SVS, where the authors claim that a Cho/Cr ratio over 1.79 or lipid-lactate/Cho ratio less than 0.75 has a sevenfold increased odds of indicating tumor compared to pure necrosis.