HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   First treatment of Herceptin (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=21679)

Yvonne38 11-18-2005 03:30 AM

First treatment of Herceptin

Hi everyone
I am due to have my first treatment of herceptin on Monday and I know that the first treatment often takes 90 minutes to infuse but the hospital want me to wait around for 4 - 6 hours after the treatment is given just in case I react to it or what ever. I was wondering if anybody else here had to stay in the hospital for so long after their first treatment. It makes me really worried about what they are expecting to happen. I am already really scared about monday and the treatment.
Any feedback will be much appreciated.
thanks
hugs to you all
Yvonne

RhondaH 11-18-2005 03:34 AM

No...

I left right after mine and had no problems. They are only being cautious (though 4-6 hrs seems extreme)...better to be safe than sorry.

Rhonda Hoffman

Maryanne 11-18-2005 05:51 AM

Yvonne,

Please dont be worried, I am sure it is only as an extra precaution as to why they are saying this. I have been on Herceptin since April, and have never had any side effects. I actually have it in the morning and then go to work. If you read most of the post here the members say the same thing. Maybe a little runny nose after, but nothing more. Try to relax while getting infused and know this is a great gift you are getting.
You'll be fine.
Maryanne

Sheila 11-18-2005 06:03 AM

I agree that they are being overly cautious making you wait so long after...I left right after my 90 min. infusion the first time and drove 80 miles back home...i have never had a problem other than achey the first time, and the runny nose since then. I have been on Herceptin for 2 years...it is a breeze....don't worry, it is a real gift to get this!

Becky 11-18-2005 06:10 AM

The wait is extreme. I got my infusion and went right home. My in laws live in Florida but come up to NJ in the summer for about a month (and live with us). The day of my first infusion they were here and having a party in our house for their friends. I was concerned with this (not knowing how I'd feel and having a party with 30 people) but I joined right in and had a good time. I got a mild to moderate headache with the first one (and still get a slight headache now) but it was okay

I go in an hour for my every three weeker.

Best regards

Becky

Lolly 11-18-2005 09:46 AM

I also went home after my first infusion, but they gave me strict instructions to call in if I started having symptoms other than small fever, aches, pains, etc. I agree with the others, they're being cautious, maybe overly so, but perhaps they've had a patient who had an allergic reaction to Herceptin and they'd rather be safe than sorry. Why don't you ask them? If they insist on you staying there for a few hours, just remember they're just looking out for you.

<3 Lolly

Lisa 11-18-2005 10:32 AM

If you read the very find print on the Herceptin info sheet, you'll see that it CAN cause severe problems, even death. I'm the only person I know who went into shock about 45 minutes into my first infusion. I was transferred to the ICU immediately where I had a 50-50 chance of living for 3 days. Then I went to the Cancer Wing for another 6 where I was given my 2nd infusion over a MULTI-HOUR time period. Talk about waiting! Since then (2 years ago), I've taken Herceptin either every 3 weeks or weekly, depending on how I'm doing.

No problems now.

Love and light,

Lisa

Ginagce 11-18-2005 10:50 AM

Not to Worry Yvonne!

Sounds like they're just being overly cautious due to possible allergic reaction which very very few people have.

My first few treatsments of herceptin came with large doses of Benadryl to prevent any reaction. After that they even stopped giving me those. I'm able to drive myself to and from and am fine.

You will do fine.

Hugs to you.

Gina

Joan M 11-18-2005 12:00 PM

1st Herceptin

My first dose I was told to expect to stay around for about 5 hours. First they gave me Benydryl and Tylenol and that had to be taken 1/2 before the procedure. Then they flushed the port - another 1/2 hour.
Between waiting for a chair, waiting for the the Benydryl, flush etc., I was actually there 4 hours right up to 5 o'clock, which is their closing time, so even though they told me that I would have to be observed for at least 1/2 an hour after, I was out of there a minute or so after 5 p.m. No one even asked me how I felt, they were so rushed at the end of the day, but I felt fine and had no side effects apart from several bouts of cold chills when the dose was being administered.
My next appointment with waiting around time, Benydryl etc., took about 3 hours. Next time I go, I will go right in and ask for the Benydryl without waiting to be called in for treatment (I'll be digesting it while I am waiting) and that will save me 1/2 an hour. I had someone with me the first time for fear that I had a reaction and was unable to drive but I could have easily have driven home. 2nd dose - I went alone, had no side effects other than a couple of cold chills when receiving the dose. I think that the Benydryl can make you feel somewhat sleepy and that is why they want someone to drive you and they make sure you are safe to drive.
I was told that after taking the Herceptin a few times and not showing any side effects that the Benydryl can be a choice and you can take it or not.
Hope this helps.
Good Luck!

JoanM

chrislmelb 11-18-2005 05:23 PM

No problems here

I had no benadryl etc for the first time, and i jumped out of the chair just so happy that i felt great. That was two weeks ago. I was told i had to stay around for 2 hrs, but after the trial nurse took out the infusion he said just go home and i'll ring in two hrs. So all in all, it was a much better than expected outcome.
Next time i plan on driving in and parking at a meter for 2.5 hrs to be safe and then go to the market afterwards to get fish. No probs. I have promised to drag my father-in-law off the golf course if i feel awful as he was really wanting to drive me.
Obvisiouly there are problems as Lisa experienced so you just need to have plans in place just in case.
Take care
Christine

andrearose 11-19-2005 09:19 PM

Problems with first Herceptin

Plan for the 4 hours and be happy if you don't need it. I had reaction -chills, shaking and rash on the needle arm so they had to slow the drip and pump me with benydryl and steroids. I slept for most of the rest of the day and had a headache for almost 10 days. The 2nd treatment was slow - 21/2 hours- but no reactions. I did sleep a lot for the next couple of days and the headache was lessened. Monday is #3 and I am hoping for an even easier time. I just keep telling myself this will pass and what will be left is protection. Good luck on Day 1.

DeborahNC 11-20-2005 08:02 AM

Just had my third Taxol/Herceptin Friday. I've only experienced a little reddening of my face the next couple of days. This last infusion tho it was the Benadryl that caused my breathing to become very shallow. The nurse slowed down the drip and it was relieved. The Taxol/Herceptin caused no reaction. I asked them to cut back on the Benadryl after the first infusion and will ask again next time.

But, stupid me...I didn't know a 'round' was three treatments! I thought I was already half done.

Becky 11-20-2005 08:48 AM

phaeduamen

I read your post. The reddening of your cheeks is from the Taxol. This flush is fairly common (I got it when I was on Taxol). Be careful on not taking benadryl while you are taking the taxol/herceptin combination. When you are done with the taxol part, you can definitely consider dropping the benadryl (I did and so have others on this site) but the taxol is very, very allergic to most of the population. It is not the active ingredient in taxol but the emulsifier used in the formulation. The taxol active is very, very water insoluble so it is formulated with an ingredient called Cremophor EL which helps the active go into water (so the nurses can mix your dose for you). I am not sure you can drop the benadryl when getting taxol and please, discuss with your onco on this one. I am just giving you a heads up because dropping benadryl when only on herceptin is different than dropping benadryl when you are on the taxol/herceptin combination.

Best regards

Becky

Unregistered 11-21-2005 03:37 AM

Side Effects Herceptin

Here is a link that may help explain.

A search on the net using the drug and side effects will usually find informative pages listing the effects of treatments.

Were you not told of the potential side effects risks/benifits prior to treatment?

http://www.breastcancer.org/herceptin_side_effects.html

RB

DeborahNC 11-21-2005 09:48 AM

Thanks Becky

for reading and responding with sound advice.