HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   "If you have had radiation" (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40298)

StephN 07-03-2009 01:20 PM

"If you have had radiation"

"you should be more aware of that area as radiation will make it more prone to skin cancers."
Quote from my dermatologist yesterday.

She said she often sees spots that do not look like they are anything to us because we are noticing the places that stand out more on our skin. Such as Keratoses, which are raised rust color areas of the skin, but benign. What she noticed was what may be a basal cell carcinoma just inside my radiated quadrant. I had not noted that spot. She sprayed it and will check in 3 months.

I also had a place removed on my left shoulder blade that is nowhere near my radiated area. It is being biopsied. The main reason I noticed that one is that it lies right under my bra strap which can irritate it at times.

Just wanted to mention this as I don't recall "being more prone to skin cancers" being on my info for my radiation treatment. Just something else to place on our list of "Things to be Vigilant About."

Jackie07 07-03-2009 01:36 PM

Thanks for the reminder, StephN. I had had many seborrheic karatoses removed in 2000 after they had sprung up following my infertility treatment. I insisted on getting them 'off my back' because one of the research article I found recommended it just in case they were 'actinic' karatoses being misidentified.

According the information from MedicineNet, "anywhere from 5%-10% of AKs can potentially go on to become skin cancers...While AKs may give rise to skin cancers like squamous cell carcinomas, they do not turn into melanomas. Nevertheless, it is important to keep in mind that people with AKs may be more prone to melanomas simply by having more sun damage."

Cannon 07-03-2009 02:54 PM

Actually, I believe there is a general increased risk of melanoma for people who have had breast cancer. Still not a huge risk, but increased. I googled "breast cancer and melanoma" and got a number of studies that support this, and I didn't see any referencing the area of radiation.

So - caution as always!

StephN 07-21-2009 03:03 PM

Good news !

Got my results back from my skin "thing" biopsy. It tested as BENIGN, thankfully. Seborrheic Keratoses, sometimes called barnacles, can be dangerous-looking but they are actually benign, probably 90% or more often.

The one I had that prompted the concern was on my shoulder blade and about the size of a dime. It had gotten irritated and had the look of a possible basal cell skin cancer. The tech who call me saw the photo they took prior to removal, and said she could see why the concern.

Another bullit dodged!

As Jackie mentioned, it is a good idea to become familiar with the things that grow on our skin. Or at least get anything that looks strange check out. There are several kinds of Keratoses alone!

Shobha 07-21-2009 03:33 PM

Great news, Steph! I am so happy to hear your news. I have a small red raised spot under my armpit where I had my radiation. My surgeon told me to simply wait and watch it - she thinks it is a a ingrown hair or pimple. But it has been almost one month and it is still there...

I may just go see a dermatologist because no one else seems to know what it is.

hugs,
shobha

CLTann 07-21-2009 06:35 PM

Please allow me to use this thread to talk about the hidden dangers of radiation. Of course, for many patients, there is no choice but to use it as a fighting tool. Although all medical personnels recognize the danger of cumulative radiation and all doctors know there is a finite quantity of radiation every person can tolerate for the lifetime, there is NO one adding up what you and I have been exposed. No one keeps track on how much you already used up the limit. They only warn you that you should limit your exposure but they kept ordering x ray, mammo, bone scan, cat scan, pet scan, radioactive dye, etc, etc, etc. Many patients die from the radiation overdose and did not know what killed them. Industrial labs and plants using radiation (nuclear reactor, for instance) require workers to wear badges that record the measurable radiation, on a cumulative basis. It is time the patients should have these cheap devices too.

Mary Jo 07-21-2009 06:53 PM

Thanks for the info Steph and I was happy to read you had benign results.

Ann, thank you too for your concerns about our exposure to radiation. So much of what we endure is so toxic and God only knows what side effects many of us will endure from what we've gone through or continue to go through.

Thank you Ladies...

Mary Jo

harrie 07-22-2009 11:52 PM

Radiation can also make reconstruction a bit tougher, no pun intended. Not impossible, but can be more difficult since the skin is not as elastic.

tricia keegan 07-23-2009 01:23 PM

Thanks Steph and delighted to hear the B9 results for you:)

I was'nt aware either that rads gave us a higher risk of skin cancer but did have a recent B9 result myself for a spot on my back.

juanita 07-23-2009 05:11 PM

glad you got good results!

harrie 07-24-2009 12:37 AM

Steph, coincidentally I think I had the EXACT same thing on my back. It was biopsied and came back with same results. I had it on my back for over a month so i was getting concerned. The diameter was maybe 3/4 of an inch I'm guessing. I was so relieved since BRCA2 people have a higher incidence of melanoma. This happened over 6 months ago.