HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Scared that I may have skin mets (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46854)

bejuce 09-24-2010 10:33 AM

Scared that I may have skin mets

Hi everyone,

So yesterday morning in the shower I noticed two little redish spots below my scar line and immediately freaked out thinking the worst (I know, I'm a worrier, worst-case-scenario-preparer by nature). The spots are small, like little freckles, and don't have the appearance or shape of a nodule - more like a little rash or something. They have a slight texture to them and are painless.

I called my surgeon's nurse and asked to come in for my peace of mind. When I saw the surgeon, he comforted me saying he doesn't think it looks like a skin met but because I was so anxious and nervous having all those bad cancer thoughts in my head and thinking about my precious kids, he decided to biopsy the area.

The results won't be ready until most likely Monday, but he said he thinks there's a 80-90 % chance of it being benign. Still, I wanted to share this with you and ask whether anyone has experience with something like this before. I've already done my online research on skin mets and seen the pictures, and from what I've read and seen, they can look like anything. So... Does anyone have any insights to share? Should I stop worrying? I stopped my year of Herceptin already and am just taking Tamoxifen now. I had that side radiated to the max, so what's the likelihood that it could indeed be a skin met?

Thank you so much, you all rock!

Marcia

Lien 09-24-2010 11:58 AM

Re: Scared that I may have skin mets

Hi Marcia,

Ofcourse you are scared! I would be scared too. I'm a bit more relaxed now that I'm 6.5 years out from diagnosis, but when a strange growth emerged on my right nipple (non-bc side) I almost freaked out. My surgeon, nurse practitioner, radiologist and onc assured me that it wasn't cancer, but I worried still. Now, after a watch-and-see period of 6 months, without any discernible changes, I'm beginning to relax.

I'm glad you got a biopsy, as you need to be reassured. I've learnt that an experienced doc usually knows when something is wrong. I'm gradually beginning to trust their gut feeling.

After all, it was a doc's gut feeling that made me choose a lumpectomy for a lump that seemed benign. It wasn't and the doc was right.

Hope this helps a little. Keep yourself busy this weekend and Monday is just a few days away.

Hugs

Jacqueline

Chelee 09-24-2010 02:04 PM

Marcia,
Anyone that's been dx with bc has these same fears...it's only normal. I've had bilat mastectomies. Every once in a while I will notice a couple red spots just below...and sometimes right along my scar line. What you describe sounds exactly what shows up on me every now and then. (It's only like 2 or 3 dots.) At first it scared me to death...but I know now it's nothing. I have had it checked out & they find nothing. These red spots show up over night..and I now believe it's where the bottom band of my bra rides around my body and aggravates the skin? Also I have the weighted prothesis which sits right there too...or close enough. I just looked and I have 3 little red spots right now on the left side but I know now...they will be gone by tomorrow probably by tomorrow. I'm sure there are alot of changes under our skin after mastectomies. That's a pretty involved surgery...so I don't think it takes much to aggravate the skin in this area. I really believe you your ok...but glad you had it checked out because it's the only way to have peace of mind.

So try not to worry...easier said then done I know. But I know of several gals at my cancer center that deal with this same thing.

Chelee

Becky 09-24-2010 02:32 PM

I have a big red splosh on my scarline (nickel size). It gets redder when I shower so when I get out, I really think about it. It showed up after radiation and it never went away. It does bother me that its there just because it IS there. But it has been biopsied and it is nothing. I have had alot of prickly heat rashes too - those really freak you out for sure. It is good to get it checked. Things won't bother you as much as time goes by - Lien was right as I am 6 yrs out and I am more relaxed to "wait and see" for a couple of weeks.

Try and relax and have a nice weekend.

bejuce 09-25-2010 04:01 PM

Thank you all for your support and for being so understanding. My surgeon called me
late afternoon yesterday to tell me that the preliminary pathology results showed that everything is clear and good, so I couldn't be more relieved! I was very happy that he called so I wouldn't have to wait over the weekend.

Thanks again! From now on I will wait a bit before rushing to conclusions.

Enjoy your weekend,

Marcia

Jackie07 09-25-2010 04:15 PM

Marcia,

Thanks for sharing the good news.

I experienced the same anguish when I felt discomfort in the liver area and the doctor ordered an ultrasound following the initial CT scan.

I was so sure that I'd developed liver mets. But it turned out to be harmless hepatic hemangioma.

There was also the 'neck node' scare that turned out to be cervical vertebrae degeneration.

There's nothing wrong to be scared when faced with the unknown. We have to stay vigilant and always seek answers.

Glad you can now relax and enjoy a good weekend...

Lien 09-25-2010 04:48 PM

...From now on I will wait a bit before rushing to conclusions.

Oh no you won't! It takes a long time before we can trust our bodies again, if ever.
But if you come to us, we will be here for you.

Your doc is a gem.

Hugs

Jacqueline

karen z 09-25-2010 05:33 PM

Marcia,
Grateful for the good news!
Best,
Karen

caya 09-25-2010 06:28 PM

Thanks for sharing the good news Marcia!!

all the best
caya

tricia keegan 09-26-2010 11:44 AM

So glad to hear your good news Marcia!!

mmoons 09-26-2010 03:38 PM

So so SO happy to hear the good news. Marcia!!! I am telling ya', dealing with the fear is such a significant part of this disease for me. I know we all think the worst at ever turn. Stay strong, stay aware of your body changes.

Thanks for posting the good news! Thinking about you!

Hugs,
Maureen

lexigirl 09-26-2010 03:50 PM

VERY good news Marcia!! I'm happy and relieved for you.

Lexi

krisvell 09-26-2010 04:13 PM

Marcia,
WhoHoo! You had good news. I really wish that you didn't have to go thru the worry. I am so happy that everything turned out well.

Kris...

CDE 09-26-2010 09:25 PM

wow great news. Great that things went well for you. nice of the surgeon to let you know so you won't have to worry.

Ellie F 09-27-2010 03:25 AM

Really pleased to hear your good news.

Its' sooooooo hard sometimes living this new reality.

Love Ellie

ammebarb 09-27-2010 07:03 AM

So very glad to hear that you got good news. Hope you had a light hearted weekend.

Barb A.

Shobha 09-27-2010 08:45 AM

Hi Marcia,

Just logged in and saw you post. So very happy to hear that the rash is absolutely nothing to be worried about.

The first year after the treatment ends was the most difficult for me. I ran to the doctors almost every two weeks. I had a similar experience and my biopsy also came back clean.

In the first year, being so afraid of a re-occurrence, I had abdominal PET/CT scan, colonoscopy, upper GI endoscopy, brain MRI, lower back MRI...Every time there was a pain, a pimple or something else, I would rush to the doctors. It is so natural, especially, with our little kids, the stakes are so high.

We can all understand what you are going through. You are always in my thoughts and prayers.

hugs,
shobha

bejuce 09-27-2010 09:44 AM

Thank you all for your support!!! Looks like I'm not the only one to go through these anxiety-ridden "cancer is back" attacks. I'm so glad to be a part of this community, you help me so much to stay strong and upbeat.

What I found difficult last Thursday when I was waiting to get checked was how alone I felt. I didn't want to call my parents to scare them, my husband was busy at work and didn't seem to want to hear any bad news, my friends were out and about busy with their own lives, and all I could think of was how I was going to get out of there in time to pick up my kids from school without letting them feel how anxious and stressed I was.

Sometimes we just need an outlet and talk to someone who understands, and you gals here are the best.

Thank you all for forming this community and making me feel a part of it,

Marcia

Yorkiegirl 09-27-2010 11:40 AM

I'm so glad that news is good. Now jusy try and relax. I know easier said than done at times.

Laurel 09-27-2010 06:31 PM

Doin' the happy dance, Marcia!