HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   madubois(Mary Ann) Is An Angel Now (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=43852)

Yorkiegirl 02-20-2010 11:52 AM

madubois(Mary Ann) Is An Angel Now

Oh my heart is just broken. I just saw this message that was posted two day's ago on the AOL Breast Cancer Message Board. It was posted by her Friend Liz.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

To all my sisters,
I haven"t been on the board for a long while, I do hope you remember me and my dear friend Maryann.
She was a true warrior, survived IBC, a recurrence, leukemia, a stem cell transplant, liver failure and needing new hips because the steriods she was given rotted her hips.
But this last infection took her from us. She died today at 7:23PM NY time surrounded by her family. please say a prayer for her and her family. She is survived by her mom, 20 year old son, 19 year old daughter, sister, bil, twin 5 year old nephews. And me, her heartbroken, forever loving her friend.

Peace, love and prayers for a cure,
Liz T

'lizbeth 02-20-2010 12:08 PM

Re: madubois(Mary Ann) Is An Angel Now

I'm shocked and sad. Thank you for letting us know.

juanita 02-20-2010 12:51 PM

thank you for passing this on. my prayers go out to her family!

PinkGirl 02-20-2010 12:58 PM

This is so sad. God speed Madame DuBois ... I'll miss you.

Pam P 02-20-2010 01:15 PM

Oh no, this is too much! What devastating news.

Mary Anne in TX 02-20-2010 02:28 PM

I feel so very fortunate to have met MaryAnn. A fighter and believer to her very core. The love she had for her kids and her sense of "life is to live" inspired me so. As said, God speed, special warrior sister. Love and prayers to your precious family and friends. ma

caya 02-20-2010 02:33 PM

Very sad news. She was such a Warrior...

all the best
caya

StephN 02-20-2010 02:34 PM

My heart sank at this news. Thanks for cluing us in Yorkie.

I gave Maryann a call about a month ago and she sounded strong. It was hard to believe the way she was describing her present life as an invalid while trying to strengthen her lungs to support the needed hip surgery.

She was getting lots of therapy and had help coming in for her personal needs. Her attitude was good and she expressed that she was working at her exercises a few times a day. Her voice was strong and she was not out of breath while talking.

Her son and daughter had just gone back to college after the semester breaks, and she just "glowed with pride" over the phone at how well they were doing. This was her primary goal all these years of working against her disease. See her children through school and on a good life course.

Rest well sweet friend.

Liz was as loyal a friend as anyone could be.

Mary Jo 02-20-2010 02:47 PM

So very sorry to read this news this afternoon...and my heart feels heavy for many of my "sisters" on this journey who read these words and are frightened. This disease is so nasty, however, remember where there is life there is HOPE.

Mary Ann was a special woman...a woman with a purpose and strong inclination to be an encourager as she traveled through this life.

May your soul be resting in Peace with your Lord and Savior sweet sister. You will be missed.

Love...

Mary Jo

God's peace surround us all.

chrisy 02-20-2010 03:00 PM

I, too will always remember Mary Ann as a woman with fierce determination.

I shared a room with her in San Antonio one year, and every night she would trot out her suitcase full of carefully chosen and prioritized medications and supplement while regaling me with stories of her battles. Not just battles to survive, but those to claim her right to live as she wanted, and to achieve what she set out to do. Maryanne was not a woman one could say no to.

Steph, seeing her kids grow up and sending them into adulthood was indeed her highest goal - I'll never forget her telling me how "they" (the powers that be) wouldn't allow her to be there at a significant life event (it might have been her son's graduation) because she was so ill.

But she was there anyway, her skin literally GREEN...and then when she was good and ready, she went back to the hospital to let them deal with that.

Rest well, my friend - you've earned it.

Rich66 02-20-2010 03:37 PM

Ugg! Anyone have a way to know what exactly happened? I know she had a complex set of issues.

lkc Gumby 02-20-2010 03:38 PM

I am so saddened by Maryanne's passing. I so admired her spirit. Through all her challenges she remained upbeat and seemed invinceable.
My prayers go out to her family.
She was very special.
RIP, Maryanne..

Chelee 02-20-2010 04:26 PM

Oh gosh no, not our dearest Maryann. I really can't take much more...my heart is broken and I can't hardly type thur the tears. Far too many losses at one time...so many wonderful women being taken. Maryann was such a true warrier and fighter--nothing stopped her from doing what she wanted too--not even this misrable disease...even though it tried. It would knock her down and she would get right back up and dust her self off and keep on going! Maryann would come on here to update us on one of her latest challeges--and knowing full well how difficult it HAD to be for her she did it with such humor and made us laugh while reading her every word. Then to tell others that have had to travel this journey, "Not to worry...it's just another episode--your will get thru this. So upbeat and full of encouragment all the time. Truly one very amazing lady that I admire so much and will never forget.

So many inspriational woman we have, and had on this board--but Maryann was one at the very top of my list. She was one tough cookie and proved to so many that as hard as it is at times...you can fight this beast and still live. One of the most determined women I have every known & will miss her so much. I'm just sick over this. My deepest condolences go out to her family and friends.

Chelee

ElaineM 02-20-2010 04:32 PM

Thanks for letting us know about this sad news. She was a woman of great strength despite her physical health problems.

Christine 02-20-2010 04:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Joe and I are stunned by this news. Maryann was a truly unique individual who did not give in to her disease, but fought it until her last breathe. As a single mother, she found the time to share experiences with her children that builds memories.

I can recall her trips to take her kids to various rock concerts around NYC. She wanted her children to have the same experiences that she herself had when growing up.

Maryann accompanied our group to the 2008 AACR meeting in San Diego and later that year to the San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium.

I look back with fondness at the AACR meeting. It seems that we had non-stop traffic to our table, and why not!!
we were three medical miracles who had defied all odds.
How often do the scientists who do basic research ever see the fruit of their labors.

1ST. Picture. Our 3 Miracles wth Dr. Axel Ullrich at the AACR meeting. Dr. Ullrich was the first scientist to isolate te HER2/neu gene in breast cancer.

2nd Picture - Maryann also reported that she had her picture taken with that guy who invented Herceptin (her words)..Dr. Dennis Slamon.

Maryann will sorely be missed.

Chris and Joe

AlaskaAngel 02-20-2010 05:01 PM

Re: madubois

Mary Ann is one of the old-timers here, and among those who spent time with the founders of this site. I am thankful for the opportunity Joe and Christine provided through this site in creating the chance for so many like Mary Ann to gather in person. It is their choice to do it but also their burden each time a life ends. Thank you Joe and Christine for these treasured friendships and your strength in making it possible.

AlaskaAngel

Laurel 02-20-2010 05:06 PM

Oh my, this makes me so sad. Thank you so much, Vicki, for letting us all know. Chelee, I found your words to be lovely and as great a eulogy as anyone could offer for one of our most brave. Mary Jo, you so aptly pointed out what we all need to hear at this moment: that where there is life there is HOPE!

I'm too sad to say any more other than to express my deepest love and affection for all of you.

Tom 02-20-2010 05:22 PM

Dear God,

I apologize for what I am about to say, But this b/c BULLSHIT has got to stop! Surely there is something we can do to get to the finish line and end the carnage. What will it take? Just tell us and we will do it. I am sick of watching these women suffer. Enough is enough. I am speechless.

God Bless you MaryAnn Dubois. You certainly earned your rest.

TriciaK 02-20-2010 06:36 PM

I am typing through tears, not just because of this sad news about Mary Ann, but because of the beautiful words you have all written about her here .She was truly a brave warrior who deeply touched all our hearts. Thank you for telling us about her passing,Liz, and please , if you can, send my deepest condolances to her family for their loss. She was such a beautiful person. I never read her posts without feeling her special spirit, and I will truly miss her. My heart is heavy tonight. Hugs, TriciaK

v-ness 02-20-2010 07:09 PM

as i read this news i burst out with a loud "WHAT??!" of disbelief. i guess i figured that she had been through so much and yet she was such a spitfire i truly didn't think anything would get the better of her. i know that is naive, especially in the face of this cancer and especially all she'd already survived. it seemed like she just changed her avatar photo not long ago and in it she looked so good and strong. i'm just floored and very saddened. i have only been here 5 months and there have been so many harsh blows to the members of this board. i don't even 'know' much of anyone here, but felt a bit like i did from reading posts. she is one of the people who really struck me. it's just terrible.

when my husband was diagnosed with cancer his sister made him a refrigerator magnet that said "This Cancer Has No Idea Who It's F*&king With". that's how i feel about maryann. they both gave cancer a good fight before they left this earth. he is in some good company up there.

valerie