HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Keeping Your Mind Off of BC (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   The Gym (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40422)

Bill 07-14-2009 05:38 PM

The Gym

This new thread was inspired by the famous "Hoola-hooping Hucklebuck". I invented a new exercise last Saturday and wanted to share it with the "entire lot of you", and reading about Brenda's hip-circle got me to thinking. Why not have a room where we could share our favorite exercises and workouts? I have a few tricks and I'm sure "the entire lot of you" do as well. I encourage everyone to share some of their favorite calorie-burners. Keep in mind, any type of physical activity applies. My first tip- keep one of those hand-spring things in your car and squeeze it whenever you go somewhere. Start with only a few repetitions and build your way up slowly from there. I will reveal my secret workout soon. It involves stretching, balance, weight-training and co-ordination all at once.

StephN 07-14-2009 06:53 PM

Hey, Bill - Does your secret workout involve a 2-port wheel mouse? My right wrist is the strongest part of my body ...

Believe51 07-14-2009 08:54 PM

I can lift a mean fork..(lol)>>Believe51

juanita 07-15-2009 03:04 PM

i can lift my grandkids!

chrisy 07-15-2009 09:09 PM

I can juggle the books

Believe51 07-15-2009 09:44 PM

Look what we have started now, ooops...(lol)

Colleens_Husband 07-16-2009 07:45 AM

I can jump to conclusions!

Yeah me!!

Okay, really, I did 200 push-ups on my 50th birthday. I was paralyzed almost completely eight years before and my neurologist told me that he thought that I would never be able to do a single push-up ever. I sent him the video of me doing the 200. He e-mailed me back and said he thought if he would tell me I couldn't do something, I would do everyhting in my power to prove him wrong. Sometimes doctors are tricky and smart.

Bill 07-16-2009 04:19 PM

Wow, Lee, that's amazing! I have to do "girl" pushups these days and I can't really bench-press much, because if I'm not careful, I have to visit "my boy" and get a cortisone shot in my shoulder. Actually, I've never done 200 pushups in a row in my life. I think I'll start training now so that maybe I can do 200 when I turn 50. You are quite an inspiration, Lee. Gosh, maybe you should have started this thread.....I feel myself and my mood spiraling downward, all of a sudden.....my secret exercise just involved standing on one leg and doing some cool stuff....I don't know....200 pushups sorta blows me outta the water......I gotta go re-group, maybe listen to some Pink Floyd and chill out and get my mojo back....

Mary Jo 07-16-2009 04:48 PM

I powerwalk 5 miles a day. Do 20 push ups a day - girl push ups like you Billhttp://her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon7.gif however, I do mine using my stairway - also, I lift 40 pounds on the weight bench (weights resting on ankles - while I'm sitting on the bench) and pick the weights up using ankles and legs 25 times.

AND I definitely DO lift a MEAN fork......and I wouldn't have to do so much physical activity if I'd just put that dang fork down some.

Mary Jo

SoCalGal 07-16-2009 11:24 PM

TWO Words...

Power shopping

Sheila 07-17-2009 05:59 AM

I did alot of 12oz curls back in my college days.
Now I just walk the cancer tightrope...kind of like walking a fine line

Bill 07-18-2009 08:49 PM

Ok, here's the new exercise I invented last weekend and did it again today. You must start off slow, and build your way into this. This exercise incorporates balance, flexibility and strength training. I feel that this exercise, if done properly, can benefit all of us. We should all do this several times per week. Like I said, start off slowly, and go at your own pace. Hold a weight in each hand, maybe a pound or two. Stand on one foot (and alternate legs periodically) and put the top of your other foot against the back of that knee. Get your balance, as you stand upright, and then slowly move the weights toward your feet. If you begin to lean to one side, slowly move your weighted hand outward to the opposite side to counter-balance. As you do this a few times, you will realize that your whole body is a part of this exercise and you will quickly see the benefit. It teaches balance and over-all body strength. I know that not everyone can do this, but start off slow. Just stand on one leg for a few seconds and then build from there. As we age, we are more prone to falling, so the more strength and flexibility and balance skills that we can build will help us. I held a 5 pound weight in each hand and as I lost my balance, I moved my hands around to counter-balance the "fall". Try it, you'll see what I mean. With more practice, you can't help but build total body strength and a better sense of balance. I'd like your feed-back.

SoCalGal 07-18-2009 09:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sounds like the "tree pose" in Hatha Yoga...no weights involved but requires strength and belief. I have practiced yoga for over 20 years. namaste:)

Bill 07-18-2009 09:29 PM

No, the top of the foot goes against the back of the other knee and as you bend at the waist, slowly, you touch your toes with the weights in your hands, and as you lose your balance, because you will, you move your weighted hands to compensate.

harrie 07-21-2009 12:16 AM

Bill...good invention! That exercise thing with the wts and the balancing....
Sounds good. Its good to do wt resistance and also good to work on balancing. Great combo.

Also, when you lift the wt outward, maybe use a slighly bent elbow rather then straight out to protect your joint. What do you think Bill? Is this good advice/

Then how about lifting each leg towards the back as another direction to work on gleuts (butt area) while raising each wt alternately in a forward direction? (balance, gleuts, chest, shoulders)

Remember ladies, be sure to tighten your abs when you do this. Esp if you decide to lean or bend forward with the wts. Protect your lower back!

Bill 07-21-2009 02:57 AM

Thanks, Harriecanarie! Yes, that's good advice all around. After the initial stretching part, you extend your leg outward to work on your balance.

juanita 07-21-2009 08:34 AM

easier on one leg than the other!

harrie 07-22-2009 12:02 AM

oh ho Juanita, sounds like you tried it?! Did you use the wts?

juanita 07-23-2009 05:30 PM

yeah but even though i'm left handed i don't have much balance standing on my left foot. and i only use 2 pound weights.

hutchibk 07-24-2009 08:42 PM

How did I miss this? Oh, I've been out of town and not hulaing my hoop...

My #1 fav workout is shooting the basketball. I shoot, I miss, I chase, I dribble, I shoot, I miss, I chase, and around and around I go.

#2 is riding my bike around a really easy neighborhood for about 20 mins.

#3 is hula hooping, but it kicks my abss.