HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Lymphoedema? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=34974)

dede10 08-01-2008 06:20 AM

Lymphoedema?

I am so not sure what in the world is going on. Dx'd stage 4, 5 yrs ago, and have been moving along, since....and although its not been any fun, I have to keep going.

On April 29th, I had surgery to remove what we though were 2 lymph nodes under my (L) arm, it turned out to be 2 cancerous masses, entailing several lymph nodes. Not even really sure how many????

I left the hospital, came home, and on May 1st, was rushed back to the hospital. By the time I got there, 02 sats were down to 56, my kidneys were shutting down, and something was really wrong. As it turned out, I had pneumonia in my (R) lower lobe & middle lobe. I had internal bleeding under my (L) arm area.

I had 2 units of blood, was on 02 @ 4L, had to go back in to repair the bleeding....5 days later, out of the hospital.

Now, well, it started last week, I am having some underarm swelling, but at times, my (L) breast feels almost engorged! My arm hurts, my breast, ulnar nerve sees to be complaining..... I am now on ABT, and pain meds, but I am literally in some pain. The pain pills help for awhile.... but this wakes me up in the middle of the night!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does this sound like lymphoedema? My fingers are not swollen, but my (L) last 3 fingers have a really numb feeling, under my arm, and part of my breast also are numb, Sometimes the pain goes to my back.

OK, now that I feel I'm falling apart :cry:

LAURIE 08-01-2008 08:27 AM

this is not at all how my lymphedema started. I did not have pain, I had a slight tenderness on the top of my hand. felt kind of like a bruise. I hope you are feeling better.

basset girl 08-01-2008 08:39 AM

My lymphedema started out as a fullness and numbness under my arm and down to my elbow. Shortly after that the top of my hand started swelling. Mine usually bothers me the worst when I use my arm a lot and during hot weather. There really was not any pain just tingling and fullness. Hope you are feeling better soon. May God give you peace and healing today. Nancy

naturaleigh 08-01-2008 09:36 AM

DeDe,

Tell your doctor about your symptoms to see if is in fact lymphedema because you can go to therapy for that to help lessen the swelling. They also teach you had to do the therapy at home. I know I get a throbbing sensation and some pain when my hand swells. I have a compression garments that I put on when this happens and it helps ease the symptoms.

I just checked out your website, you are one very talented lady!! Awesome work!!

dede10 08-01-2008 03:12 PM

Awww thank you. I see my doc on Tuesday, and I am hoping for at least a few answers.

Alice 08-02-2008 10:41 AM

I don't have lymphodema but this sounds more like it could be from nerves that travel through the arm and chest. I had a lot of similar problems after having lymph nodes removed. My Dr. explaned that in order to get at the nodes a lot of nerves have to be pushed aside and they can sometimes get bruised. Many of the nerves under the arm also radiate to the chest. It should get better with time and healing, it sound as though this was a recent surgery. You should make sure you tell your Dr. when you go or if it gets worse give him a call.

dede10 08-04-2008 05:25 AM

Actually, that's more of what I was thinking...I do have swelling under my arm, and around my breast, but last night it hurt so bad I couldn't sleep, hand was shaky, and it was like a stabbibg pain on the left side of my breast to my back...then down my arm.

I am so not happy...and very tired!!

BonnieR 08-04-2008 09:11 AM

Dede, is there a chance you can see your doctor today?

dede10 08-04-2008 10:39 AM

No, my apt is in the morning, which will help. I'm sure he would let me come in, but I am really too tired to drive :(

Have you any ideas?

BonnieR 08-04-2008 03:54 PM

No ideas, dede. But your stabbing pain sounds a bit more acute than lymphedema to me so I am glad you will be seeing a doctor. I hope you will tell us what you find out and that you get relief soon.

tricia keegan 08-05-2008 01:49 PM

Dede, sorry if I've misread your post but if you had lymph nodes removed this could be a seroma from this that needs to be aspirated by your surgeon. I had to have mine done twice after my surgery when the fluid built up before it settled down and it was very painful.
The aspiration itself is painless as the nerves will have been cut during surgery but the relief when they drain it is a wonderful feeling and all that pain and ache disappear.

dede10 08-06-2008 04:57 AM

That's what my doc may be thinking, although we go today for scans. He just want to make sure, since I had so many surgery complications.
All I know is that I am so very sore!! & I feel engorged...

Sheila 08-06-2008 05:08 AM

DeDe
Hoping the scans show what the problem is, and you begin to heal....you are in my thoughts and prayers

BonnieR 08-07-2008 09:27 AM

dede, what have you found out? Hoping that things are under control and you have some relief.

dede10 08-08-2008 05:42 PM

Well, had scans and its a 5cm "something" under there. He doesn't think its the cancer because it has grown too quickly...but, this cancer has not done anything by the book.

Then, I have some questional lymph nodes in my chest wall...questionable always means 'they have grown but we are not quite ready to commit ourselves' :)

So, I am suppose to have a pet scan sometime next week to see what is really there.

Aarrrrggggg.....I knew I would have to keep fighting, but thank God for the small breaks I have had, and the 5+ yrs I have been given :)

Mary Anne in TX 08-08-2008 06:53 PM

DeDe, you are amazing. I'm hoping they can give you some relief pronto. Please let us know what's what! Wishing you really good things. ma

dede10 08-19-2008 05:00 AM

update:

The 5cm something turns out to be a 5 1/2 cm mass of cancer..:(. This grew in 3 months! Chemo starts today.

PinkGirl 08-19-2008 08:03 AM

Hi DeDe
I'm so sorry. I will keep all my fingers and toes crossed for
a good response from this chemo. Keep the faith, onward
and upward .....

Vi Schorpp 08-19-2008 09:00 AM

Sorry DeDe

for this latest development. What chemo will you be taking?