HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   2od treatment-no pain (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=43848)

Skip 02-20-2010 09:11 AM

2od treatment-no pain

My wife had her 2od treatment (T&H) Thursday 18th and so far just a little headache. The shooting pains, (all over her body), she experienced last time have not returned.

The herceptin dose was a "maintenance" dose we were told, last time she had a "loading" dose. The Taxotere was the same dose as the first time.

2 treatments down 4 more to go. I'm really hopeful she responds well to this treatment. Waiting to see if her markers are going down.

News on my sister, part of her colon removed 1 node of 36 positive she said she will get chemo after 6 weeks recovery time.
News on my mother, responding well to treatment at 85 years old.

Jean 02-20-2010 09:20 AM

Re: 2od treatment-no pain

Hi Skip,
Thank you for posting and keeping us updated. I am so happy to hear the 2nd treatment was easier. I would also come home after treatment and take a warm soothing soaking bath. Also placing a heating pad on her legs is comforting and helps with the cramps that sometimes comes with the treatment and elevating her legs with a pillow can offer relief.

Best wishes being sent to both of you...hey did I mention a soothing back and neck massage from hubby is wonderful also!

Hugs,
Jean

juanita 02-20-2010 12:50 PM

thanks for the update. i'm glad things were a little better for her this time!

ElaineM 02-20-2010 04:35 PM

Thanks for sharing the good news about your wife. I hope your sister and mother continue to do well too.

chrisy 02-21-2010 02:20 PM

Skip, glad to hear the second round was easier.

Too bad it's going to be TOUGHER for the cancer:)

Skip 02-26-2010 08:59 AM

2od treatment-no pain-update

What a week! The pain my wife experienced after her first treatment (T&H) thankfully did not happen this time. :)

With that said, she's had a lousy week and is still not feeling
her normal self. Its like having a flu without a fever, she's tired, no energy, cold and has annoying headaches, slightly nauseous and getting a little depressed feeling like this everyday. Nights, well they are the worse, your mind has nothing better to do than think about the cancer and how miserable your life has become. Not to mention all the little annoying side effects from chemo & narcotics thrown in the mix, just one more thing to worry about.

Watching my LOML go through this is... hard to say the least. I do what I can for her wishing I could take her pain and misery away.It feels like someone has reached in to my chest and is ripping my hart out.

Please tell me this will get better after chemo, she can't do this for ever.

One more thing, cancer sucks.

schoolteacher 02-26-2010 09:30 AM

Skip,

Thinking of you and your wife. I promise there is light at the end of the tunnel. I understanding how she feels about the night being the worse part of this journey.

One of the members on this board encouraged me to walk a little during chemo, and the walking seemed to help me the second and third week.

You and your wife I are in my prayers.

Amelia

chrisy 02-26-2010 09:37 AM

Hi Skip,
Well you hit the nail on the head with that last comment!

But it will get better. There should be periods during each cycle where she feels pretty good - you might try calendaring it, then you could both at least know "oh, I feel lousy today but by sunday I know I'll be feeling better". I have some s/e on TDM1 but they are like clockwork - we know Friday is "fever day"... and Saturday I will be normal.

I'm not sure I remember your wife's treatment plan exactly, but in my situation I initially had 6 cycles of TCH and then continued in a maintenance mode on herceptin alone. Physically the herceptin alone is less bothersome.

I do also know the sleepless nights. I assume your wife gets decadron premeds for the taxotere - and it is known to have people up all night cleaning the house...or worrying. Possibly she can get a dose reduction on that.

For me, on my treatment day I always took an Ativan in the evening - it is an antinausea med but also helps with sleeplessness.

Over the long haul, I do still have SOME sleepless nights - and there are times (like around scans) that I lay awake wondering how things came to this and worrying about the future. But mostly I live a pretty normal life.

For example last night I couldn't get to sleep because I was stressed out over stupid things people had done (or not done) at work. But tonight I'll probably sleep just fine because TGIF!

Hang in there

alicem 02-26-2010 06:07 PM

Skip,

What a sweetheart you are to be here on your wife's behalf. I am so sorry that either of you had to join our little club, but you really couldn't be in a better place given the circumstances.

I wanted to add my two cents worth because I am just about one year down the road from where you wife is right now. I had my first chemo (Taxotere, Carboplatin, Herceptin) on 1/20/2009. I too had the flu like feelings, sleepless nights, headaches and an "unsettled stomach". Today - I struggle to remember what that felt like. The human mind is kind in that regard. In fact, the memories started fading even months after I was done with my treatment.

I second what Amelia said about walking. I also had a friend tell me that she went for about an hour walk in the mall the day of her treatment. I noticed when I did some form of mild exercise immediately after my treatment it seemed to help the side effects. I also highly recommend drinking LOTS of water. Your wife's kidney's are working overtime trying to flush the nasty stuff out of her body. Making sure she is hydrated will help out. I had one treatment where I felt just horrible, and it was the treatement that I forgot to drink my water.

I hope the next couple of months pass by quickly for your wife. Please feel free to come to us anytime with any questions you might have. That is what we are here for.

Wishing you both all the best.

Alice

alicem 02-26-2010 06:18 PM

One other thing, it is absolutely vital that your wife get a good night's sleep each night. I was getting only about 4-5 hours of sleep a night at the beginning. I tried the generic version of Ambien and it did not help me. I then tried Ambien CR (advertised as one drug to help you get to sleep, then a time released second drug to help you stay asleep). I was worried when I got the prescription because it mentioned that it could be habit forming. I started with 30 pills last year, and I know I have used less than 10. One thing I DO remember is how much better I felt after my first night with 8 hours of continuous sleep. I took one more the second night and then tried not taking one the third night. I still got 8 hours of sleep. That continued for about a week. When I had another sleepless night, I took a pill the next night. Within a month and about 5 or 6 pills, I did not lose another night of sleep for almost 6 months. I do believe my sleep helped make the chemo more tolerable.

Becky 02-27-2010 10:39 AM

I also want to add that if your wife likes yogurt, she should eat it - maybe even Activa (although I have never eaten Activa so I don't know what it tastes like). Your entire gut is made of "rapidly dividing cells" just like cancer is rapidly dividing cells. Therefore, much of the beneficial bacteria in the gut are also affected by chemo and yogurt can help get the balance back.

If she doesn't like yogurt, you can buy probiotic pills. Get a good one from GNC or a health food store. This might help ease the nausea more quickly and they can be taken during chemo because it is not an antioxidant or anything like that.

Its lousy to feel lousy but it will pass. ASK for help too - soups for friends to make that are easy to eat. That might help too. You can still do fun things you like such as renting movies or even playing games you used to like (Yahtzee or Scrabble). Doing things takes your mind off feeling lousy and depressed.

Lastly, it is a depressing time for both of you. Her going through the treatment and you watching it. It's natural to feel this way so give yourselves a break.

Hugs to both of you.