HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   My really big supplements list (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65294)

Andrea Barnett Budin 09-16-2016 12:04 PM

My really big supplements list

Updated last March 2016 (FROM INTEGRATIVE ONCOLOGIST IN NY) -- FOR ALL THOSE WHO'VE REQUESTED THIS and can't locate where I last posted it: BE WELL, MY SISTERS !!

ESSENTIAL SUPPLEMENTS AND DAILY ADJUNCTIVE MEDS:
ALPHA LIPOIC ACID 300 AM/PM -- detoxifies liver, antioxidant, neutralizes free radicals, protects cells from damage, can cross the brain barrier, energizes, relieves muscle and joint pain, heart healthy
ARGENINE 500 X 2 AM empty stomach (sustained and immediate release) helps keep EF (ejection fraction) up , HEART HEALTHY
)B-12 (as methyl cobalamine) 1 mg lozenge -- AM for energy
B-5 Riboflavin 500 Pantothenic Acid AM good for neuropathy
B-6 (P5P50) activated B-6 bedtime -- heart healthy, assists sleeping aides
B 1 (Benfotiamine or thiamin) 300 + B 2 100 ea AM/PM energy
BIOTIN 5,000 healthy hair/nails
C 1,000 w/BIOFLAVINOIDS + Rutin (AM) -- enhances immune system, reduces recurrence of cancer
-- INCREASE C X 3 if sick w/both Echincacea w/goldenseal and Astragalus AM/PM
+ zinc lozenges X 6 -- for a week
CALCIUM 500 AM/PM -- body can only absorb 400 mg of calcium at a time. CAPSULES because calcium pills in particular are way too big
CARNITINE 500 AM/PM -- assists in gastro absorption, energizes, lowers triglycerides, relieves muscle and joint pain
CO ENZYME Q10 ( Doctor's Best UBIIQUINOL concentrated Co-Q10- 50 mg w/ Kaneka's QH) - Good for gums, heart, energy, muscle and joint pain -- AM
CHROMIUM PICCOLINATE 500 Empty stomach - metabolizes fats and carbs and lowers sugar circulating in blood
Vitamin D3 -- 10,000 AM daily -- assists organ function, healthy bones, assists organ function which declines w/age, healthy bones, blocks bc cell growth

ASK FOR Vitamins D and B to be checked in blood work

DIM-PLUS AM (Nature's Way) metabolizes estrogen, helps heart and hot flashes

E 400 WITH TOCOPHEROLS (I use Vital Nutrient brand) ( 1AM + 2 PM) -- heart healthy, helpful in oxidation in lungs, protects white and red blood cells, helps body's immune system. boosts stamina, protects from free radicals, keeps skin and tissue healthy
ECHINACEA w/GOLDENSEAL AM/PM -for 1 wk plus ASTRAGALUS 1,000 AM/PM - next wk -- rotating weekly -- boost immune system

EXHILARIN AM / PM mental acuity, relieves stress and hot flashes, energizes
FLAXSEED OIL 1,000 heart healthy, anti-cancer, detoxifies, improves brain function, good for eyes
FOLATE w//QUATRREFOLIC 400 AM red cell booster, heart healthy
GINKGO BILOBA EXTRACT -- 120 AM / PM mental alertness
GINGER ROOT EXTRACT - 1,100 AM/PM/BEDTIME (2 pills 3x a day, to ease IBS, assisting digestion to promote gastrointestintal comfort
GLUTAMINE 500 AM empty stomach -- amino acid, assists in gastro absorption, energizes
GRAPESEED EXTRACT 150 (AM) anti-oxideant, protects skin cells, can cross blood-brain barrier, protects brain and spinal nerves against free radical damage, exhances anti-tumor effect, protects liver, strengthens connective tissues including heart system, supports immune system and slows aging
IMMUNE BOOSTER New Chapter Lifeshield mushroom blend AM + PM
LUTEIN 40 w/1 Zeaxthin AM eye health, prevents tearing all day, assists in preventing cancers
LYSINE 500 AM empty stomach bolsters immune function
NAC 600 (AM) supports healthy liver function, rids body of toxins
NADH (AM PM) on empty stomach -- anti-oxidant, relieves chronic fatitude, energizes, boosts mental acuity, supports healthy oxygen-rich blood, detoxifies kidney, lungs, bowels and blood stream toxins
OMEGA 3 -- (Vitacost brand) 2,100 AM + PM -- EPA + DHA -- (HER2 site's RB has written a book on the multiple benefits of Omega 3, most especially for breast cancer patients and for far more reasons to include in your list) traditional diet of Greece is highly recommended by many experts
PHYTO FORMULA 1 scoop in OJ in AM for chronic fatigue
POTASSIUM 99 AM + PM energizes, heart healthy
PROBIOTIC Garden of Life Primal Defense for IBS (AM) and normal bowels
PROBIOTIC Vitacost 10-20 IBS (PM) markedly helps normal bowels
RESVERATROL 250 (AM PM) tumor shrinking, boosts immune system, anti-oxidant, heart healthy, HER2 blocker
SELENIUM 200 AM -- anti oxidant, protects cells from damage
THEANINE 400 PM bedtime 2 pills reduces stress, increase GABA, dopamine and serotonin production, crosses brain barriet, boosts T cells
WHITE KIDNEY BEAN 2,000 AM/PM carb blocker
WOBENZYME -- 1-2 AM + PM -- anti inflammatory (which is the cause of all ailments and disease -- it is an immune booster and eases pain of joints, etc.)
ZINC -- 30 AM immune booster

donocco 09-16-2016 01:33 PM

Re: My really big supplements list

Regarding Vitamin D testing they sell a test on amazon. It costs about 70 dollars. I just glanced at it and don't know if it is single use or multiple use.
It involves pricking your finger and the the test can be done at home.

Paul

Andrea Barnett Budin 09-16-2016 01:41 PM

Hi.

I get ev 6 mnth bloodwork done. CBC, tumor markers, lipid profile, blah, blah.

I request Vitamin D and B12 to be tested to compare and keep an eye on.

I have Medicare and United Health Supplemental.

All covered as far as I know.

I used to get ev 3 mnth bldwork done. Have graduated.

Juls 09-16-2016 03:00 PM

Hi Andi

Good to read this again! Not quite there yet but trying!

I've mentioned before - Vit D not tested routinely in UK . Think it should be.
I asked last year if mine could be tested. Came back at 70 (had been taking tablet for a few months & no idea what it was at before supplements.) The Nurse looking after me had also requested a test - hers came back at 17! Would love to know what my level was at BC diagnosis!

If hospital won't check Vit D level - Think there is a couple of companies here that will send home kit for testing. Cost about £50.

Just what is their reluctance at hospital to suggest or even discuss vitamins and supplements?

MaineRottweilers 09-16-2016 03:50 PM

Andi! Hello, have missed you around here. Thanks for updating the supplement list. Amazed by your success and striving to emulate it.

Andrea Barnett Budin 09-16-2016 04:27 PM

Hi Tracy. Hi Juls.

Have been aware the past 20 yrs that western medicine doesn't believe in supplements. Not proven science. My integrative onc (who I like to call my nutritional or nut onc) says they need to test the supps at higher dosages.

Sure he's right.

When I recurred in '98 and went to him, he gave me the list. Teaches meditation and guided imagery (also considered wackery by western med). I knew how to do this already. Knew about the mindbody connection. Had seen PBS specials in the 70s and 80s. Absolutely resonated with me. Made sense. As did the investigations into the existence of a Soul.

At the time of death, a small amnt of weight is lost every time they tested. Hypothesized it could me the Soul departing from it's home on Earth. Again, I felt it was like a REMEMBERING of things I never knew I knew.

So I had my supps list and told my reg onc that I planned on taking these supps. Made a list -- gave dosage and reasons. He suggested I wait until after chemo. That there could be counter indications, conflict with chemo agents. THEY DON'T KNOW !!! Bottom line.

I called my nut onc and explained. Of course he was familiar with this tired old response. NO, he said, IT'S DURING CHEMO, WHEN YOU'RE IMMUNE SYSTEM IS COMPROMISED THAT YOU MOST NEED THE SUPPS.

I boldly told my onc (who I still love and highly respect for his genius and excellent advice in general) that I intended to take the supps anyway. Right off.

As it is, within a mnth on Taxoere, I developed SHINGLES ! Itchy bug bite ??? mid abdomen. Saw another onc for a 2nd and a 3rd opinion. In doing that, I asked, the day after the bug bite occurred SOOO ITCHY / painful and in retrospect I felt so sick (and thought it was due to the chemo). In the waiting room I put my head in my husband's lap !! NEVER would do such a thing, but I felt I was going to pass out.

HERPES ZOSTRIX the onc said. What ????? That's shingles. Went immediately on Valtrex 2 or 3 x a day to fight it off.

When I went to my NY onc for tx he looked and said, YOU CAN'T GET CHEMO WITH SHINGLES. I was terrified. I KNEW I needed the chemo to survive too many tumors to count throughout my liver !!! I went home, looked up in my NUTRITIONAL HEALING manual SHINGLES. All ailments are listed alphabetically and they list and explain the necessary supps to take.

So I ADDED a few. Sent my husb to health food store to purchase them and began taking them immediately. I was so very sick with pain and the spread of the rash all around the torso front and back!!

You can have Shingles for months, even a whole year. I would die if I couldn't have the chemo.

I returned to the NY onc 10 days later for a checkup. How are you doing? I smiled and said, GOOD. He doubted and smiled and said, Let me see. I lifted my shirt sitting on the exam table and he walked all around. He said, delighted -- YOU'RE RIGHT !!! All the pustules had crusted over and were healing. YOU CAN GET CHEMO, the onc said. YOU CAN GET IT TODAY !!!

CURED IN 10 DAYS. My immune system was boosted. Took the meds required right off, luckily !!! And added more supps specifically to tx Shingles.

So -- I believe in my supps. They are miraculous. Hospitals think we're nuts (those who take all the supps and flush $$$ down the toilet). My 3rd opinion onc in NY (from Mt. Sinai, very highly regarded) didn't want to mess with my belief system but admitted to me that he had given 100 of pages of lectures against supps.

This is what we're up against. Mainstream medicine is clueless. They don't teach medical students about nutrition or supps. Maybe a few hrs on a single day. I asked my SIL who is an OB GYN. Conservative medicine is what our docs practice. Not open to alternative, integrative medicine !!!

I am!!! I attribute my success to the chemo and the surgeries, but also to the meditation, the mantras, the guided imagery, my Zen attitude (some say I am like a Buddhist).

I envision myself far, far into the future. Daily. In vivid detail. Through meditation. Daily. All these yrs.

I wish all my Sisters miraculous success ! And BELIEF. And courage, cause you'll be meeting much opposition to such "lunacy". Forewarned is forearmed. Right ??

Love and Light dear Ladies.

Andi

Always here for you. Any time. Just PM me or e me. I love to help. It is part of why I have been spared my life. I have messages for you.

And you each have messages for me ! That's why we're here, people. To love and help one another. And carry messages for one another.

Kkmom 09-16-2016 07:18 PM

Andi,
How about tumeric/curcumin? Maybe it is on your supplement list and I missed it. Pam

Kim in CA 09-17-2016 11:04 AM

Thanks for reposting this Andi. I printed it out, so I can update my cabinet of supplements!

Kim