HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   scans are not good (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=27665)

Shell 04-04-2007 07:25 AM

scans are not good

Well, I've been on navelbine/avastin/herceptin since early December, and already it is time to change regines again.... My scans showed some nodules in the lung area getting smaller, but others getting larger, and some new ones. I knew it was getting time to change, as my shortness of breath is much worse.

I guess we're back to the drawing board. As you can see from my signature, i'm pretty heavily treated, so options are few. One thought is that i had a good response on the cytoxin/epirubicin/taxotere, and I can get 2 more treatments of that. Gemzar is an option, as is carboplatin, as is methotrexate - I don't know what else there is. My onc will also try to get tykerb for me -- how long is that taking people to get, and have you had payment issues with it?

I also have to figure out what resources there are for helping my family - our girls are 9 and 11 and I don't want to scare them, but I do want them to be prepared... They're off today through mid week next week for Easter, and the whole family will be together at the Jersey shore, so at least some fun times are ahead for this weekend when the cousins get together...

Regards,

Vi Schorpp 04-04-2007 07:31 AM

Shell: I'm sorry to hear things are rough right now. You mentioned you needed to figure out what resources there are for helping your family and the first thing that comes to my mind is Social Security disability. Once approved, you will be compensated, plus your girls would also be alloted money for their care. I don't know if you've looked into this process, but it's the first thing that comes to mind. You might want to do a search for disability and find out more.

Have a great time with the girls at the shore...

Mary Jo 04-04-2007 07:48 AM

I'm sorry Shell. I pray that your docs can come up with a combination that will help you.

I'm happy you will have fun this weekend with family. Now that's what life is all about. Enjoy your time with all of them.

God hold you close and surround you with His peace.

Love and hugs from me to you.

Mary Jo

Julie2 04-04-2007 08:37 AM

Shell,

Please don't loose hope. I am wishing the next chemo will get you into remission.

Julie

Mary Anne in TX 04-04-2007 09:20 AM

Hi Shell!

What a bummer! Your thoughts are with your girls and their care. Bless you!
I did really well with Carboplatin, Taxol, Herceptin - seemed to kill those nasty cancer cells well.
I'm going to picture you at the shore with your family finding some peace for a time and also finding your hope again. It's not easy to keep on keeping on, I know. But when I saw my onc last week, I told him that it seems to me that sometimes it's the little things done with small changes that make big differences.
May your doctors find extreme wisdom and may you find extreme peace and hope!
Lots of love to you, mary anne

Vanessa 04-04-2007 10:25 AM

I am sorry to hear about your scans, but I agree, don't lose hope. I am praying that your doctors come up with a winning drug combination for you.

Esther 04-04-2007 12:04 PM

Shell:

What took the longest in getting the Tykerb was scheduling and getting the MUGA scan and the EKG prior to get it prescribed.

It was already on United Healthcare's formulary, so there was no approval delay. My onc faxed in the prescription today, there are only mail order pharmacies that are able to get it.

I'm hoping to get the Tykerb by early next week. Altogether the process has taken about 2 weeks or so.

vickie h 04-04-2007 12:10 PM

Shell, So sorry to hear about this turn of events. Keep your faith and the faith that there are new treatments and combos everyday. Tykerb is taking me 3 days to get. Now that it is approved your insurance should cover it. My prayers are with you and the children, Don't give up, there is another way just around the next bend, waiting to bring you into remission. Love and Hope, Vickie

Soccermom 04-04-2007 08:07 PM

Shell , just wanted to send positive vibes to you. I will be thinking of you.
I am originally from Margate ...I sincerely hope you are able to make the trip and enjoy your family time down at the "Shore"!

Marcia

Tricia 04-04-2007 09:33 PM

Shell,

I just wanted to tell you that I will be praying for you and your family. I am currently on Carboplatin/Taxotere/Herceptin and as far as the cancer goes... well I have gone from 7cm tumor and 2 other ones between 2-4 cm to nothing detectable...I go for more scans next week and then into surgery week after that (mastectomy). I will pray the Lord gives you strength and peace and your doctors divine wisdom and your family wonderful Joy..... God Bless you all.

Tricia

Shell 04-09-2007 02:27 PM

Thank you all for your info, thoughts and prayers... I'll find out Thurs what the treatment will be.

Esther-thanks for the tykerb nfo...

Marcia - practically neighbors - we're Ocean City!

Kind regards,