HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Half Way Through Chemo (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47789)

ginnyg898 12-01-2010 10:26 PM

Half Way Through Chemo

Hi all:

I am going into my 4th of 6 tch treatments on Monday. After 3 treatments, my body is completely worn out. I am right now recovering from a bad case of the flu and lets just say my digestive system isnt happy either :) For me the worst side effect has been the bone pain from the Neulasta shot.

I would love to hear from folks who have been there. How did you keep positive when you feel so ill most of the time?

Jean 12-01-2010 11:14 PM

Re: Half Way Through Chemo

Hi Ginny,
I found that when I got to treatment #3 I felt concerned about getting through the next 3.
As you may already know the treatments are acumulative and by #3 you are really getting the impact of the drugs. I can only say the next three was not as difficult. While I still felt the after effects of the shot and also the tired feeling etc. the last three were just not as difficult as the first three.

I found warm soaking baths in epson salt were helpful along with a heating pad on my shins and back. Also alieve was also helpful.

Wishing you an easy last three.
Best Wishes,
Jean

Trish 12-01-2010 11:30 PM

It's hard to be positive when you are weak and in pain. The only times I have come close to depression is when I have had really tough chemo like you are having now. Once my body recovered I felt better emotionally. All I can suggest is to remember "this too will pass" and you will feel better again when you have had time to recover-but that may not be till a couple of weeks after the chemo is over. Don't expect too much of yourself till then. Hoping things will go well,
Trish

BonnieR 12-01-2010 11:35 PM

Just remember the title of your post...."HALF WAY THRU". I am also reminded of the saying "when you are going thru hell, keep going"!
I guess I am not too well equipted to offer advice on this matter since my doc stopped my tx after #4 because of neuoropathy. But I was prepared to keep plugging away.
As Jean said, it is cumulative, no denying that fact. But you are HALF WAY THRU!
Keep the faith!

Sandra in GA 12-02-2010 08:32 AM

Ginny,

You are half way through~you are almost there! After I had A/C and began Taxol, Herceptin, and lapatinib, I became very ill. My Hgb dropped to 9 which for me (my normal was 14) caused shortness of breath, high pulse rate, nausea, and my white count dropped. My study nurse and oncologist started talking about taking me out of the lapatinib trial. I guess that got me "stirred" up enough to fight back. I told them in no circumstances would I agree to that. They gave me blood which proved to truly be "a gift of life" for me.

I had the Neulasta injections while I had the A/C and they do hurt. I tried to prepare myself for them by telling myself that the pain meant they were working. I discovered the cycle where they would occur and just planned on doing nothing that day. Usually mine lasted only about two days.

You will get through this. Just keep your eye on the goal and don't get stuck in "hell"~keep going......!

Sandra

Mary L 12-02-2010 08:55 AM

Hi Ginny, Halfway there is alot better than not having started. It's not fun but it sure saves alot of lives. Those Neulasta shots are pretty rough. I hurt so bad from them. I refused the last one I was supposed to have because I just couldn't take the bone pain anymore. I hope the 2nd half of your treatment goes well and quickly. Have a wonderful holiday season! Best wishes. Mary L

ymryan 12-02-2010 10:35 AM

You're doing what I did to remain positive...I visited this site. This is where I found much inspiration. In addition, I kept telling myself, "I know I can...I know I can...I know I can..." (my rendition of the Little Engine That Could)

Hang in there and keep on chuggin'. You'll make it through the chemo and feel so proud of what you were able to accomplish.

caya 12-02-2010 12:56 PM

Ginny - is there a reason you must have the Neulasta shot - here in Canada they don't just give it to everyone as it is not usually necessary.
I had my blood checked before every chemo, my counts were fine and I never needed the shots. Of course if your counts are too low, the shot would be administered.

Ask your onc. to test your blood counts, maybe you don't need the shots.

all the best
caya