HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Halavan---So far, so good! (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49843)

TriciaK 05-02-2011 04:57 PM

Halavan---So far, so good!

I had my first halavan chemo last Tuesday and will have the second tomorrow. So far it seems to be good news---no nausea, some extra itching but so far no new hives, am able to sleep and eat, just extra tired. However my two oldest daughters are visiting and we are staying up late and doing more. My husband and I even drove to Las Vegas (an hour and a half away) to pick one daughter up from Houston, at the Las Vegas airport. It was a long day but I slept well and had no after effects. I have a good appetite (a first with any chemo!) and hope to gain back a few pounds I've lost. I am amazed at how short the halavan infusion is: only an hour including anti-nausea med, allergy med and a hydration treatment. The actual halavan infusion itself is less than 5 minutes long! I am uneasy that I am unable to add herceptin, but guess there is no info on doing the two together. Besides, my ejection fraction has dropped to 45 and my onclogist won't give me herceptin unless my ef is over 50. Since we did try herceptin alone after the problems with other chemos, he seems to feel that the herceptin doesn't work now for me. But my concern is whether the her2 cancer can be stopped without herceptin. Anyone have comments on that?
I am noticing some irregular heart beats and higher pulse, plus the extra fatigue and dizziness. The oncologist said to watch for those and also any indication of fever or immune problems. I have blood tests the day before the chemo so the onc is aware of how I am doing. I am not sure how many weeks the halavan treatment is given, but it is once a week. I know the first infusion doesn't always tell the tale so I will let you know how the second and third do. It was such a help to have the info and experiences available here! As always I am so grateful for this website and all the kindness and concern shown here. Even when I don't have time to post, I always read the new posts and send out a prayer and love for each writer. Thank you all for being there and special appreciation to Christine and her family. Hugs, TriciaK

Jackie07 05-02-2011 06:08 PM

Re: Halavan---So far, so good!

That is great! Thank you so much for letting us know the first infusion went well. Hugs to you also.

michka 05-02-2011 11:56 PM

Tricia, I am happy that you have no nausea and no hives with this new treatment. This is good news! Hugs. Michka

Sheila 05-03-2011 07:35 AM

Tricia
So glad to read your post on the Halaven...I am waiting to get mine right now. Mine takes 5 minutes as I do not get fluids with mine. I get mine day 1 and day 7 then skip a week...it is a 21 day cycle...I also get Herceptin day 7 and have had no problem. There are several now getting both drugs where I get treatment. I do have to take Lisinopril and Coreg to keep my LVEF up above 50. hope the Halaven continues to work for you....watch the white counts, they crash fast, sending love and a hug...you are a trooper!

ElaineM 05-03-2011 12:00 PM

I am so glad Halaven seems to be working for you. Sheila is the one to talk to about Halaven. She was our first gal to get it, so she has the most experience with it.
Take good care of yourself. Maybe your doc will consider some of the drugs Sheila is taking for her heart during Halaven since you think you have some heart issues.
I have taken prescription grade Co Enzyme Q 10 since my diagnosis. I never had a low LVF or any problems with my heart. Mine has always been above 50. Currently it is 55-60. My docs always comment about my strong heart beat.

Joan M 05-04-2011 07:34 PM

Tricia,

I'm glad you're feeling okay while on the Havalen, and that you can take it and then add back the Herceptin when your ejection fraction improves. Sounds like you're having a great visit with your daughters!

Hugs,

Joan

Jackie07 05-18-2011 04:48 PM

Breast Cancer Trials (breastcancertrials.org) just added Halavan to its list today:

"We added Halaven®/Eribulin (Chemotherapy) and Prolia®/Denosumab (Biological Therapy for Bone Mets), two newly approved drugs, to our treatment section.

· On the Metastatic Health History form, we added four new options to "sites with current evidence of disease": breast, chest wall, skin, and ovaries, in order to match to trials more accurately.

· We added a feature whereby studies that do not require visits to a research site are placed at the top of your "My Trials" list. Eligible participants can live anywhere in the United States and participate from home.

Please continue to Contact Us with your comments and suggestions. Your feedback helps us improve our service.

Sincerely,
The BCT Team"