HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Going through a difficult time (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=44019)

Sheila 03-02-2010 05:31 PM

Going through a difficult time

Thank you to all of you have kept me in your thoughts and prayers this past month…it has been a difficult road for me.

It started with a treatment change due to serious shortness of breath, progression of disease in the chest nodes and axillary nodes, and a drop in my Muga…to 46%…last one was 63%. Now I am under the care of a cardiologist, taking Coreg to strengthen the heart, & double the B/P med Lisinopril as Avastin has been added again to the Herceptin. I truly questioned the Herceptin with my muga drop, but both the oncologist and the cardiologist feel it was the combo of herceptin and Tykerb, since I have never had a problem on Herceptin in over 7 years.

To add to the difficulties, my Father suffered a heart attack at the beginning of February, and was life flighted to a major heart center in the State Capitol for immediate angioplasty. He is soon to be 86, but has always been so healthy & youthful…truly just gave up his motorcycle riding days this past year. Saying goodbye to him when they were preparing to load him in the helicopter was overwhelming on my Mom, myself and my whole family….we were blessed that by the time we traveled via car to the hospital 3 hours away, he was in ICU and truly a new man.

As if this wasn’t enough, 1 week later, my Mother collapsed at the grocery store…vomiting blood, taken by ambulance to the local hospital. After 5 days in ICU, she was transported via ambulance to Loyola in Chicago where she was diagnosed with Stage IV Liver Cancer with mets to the lungs….at her age and health status, traditional chemo is not an option. She will start on Sorafenib this Friday. We were hoping that it was possibly breast cancer mets to the liver, as she is a 22 year survivor, but learned it was a new primary in the liver. The prognosis is 3-4 months, with the chemo, but then we all know that prognosis is not an exact science. It was so heartbreaking so see her and my Dad receive this news…I have always said they have been married almost 64 years, they are truly a team….when one starts a sentence, the other finishes. My prayers are that she does not suffer, she has been my role model for so many years on my breast cancer journey. Regardless of age, we are never prepared to lose a parent.

The rest of the month was filled with my little granddaughter Jasmine, going in for her every 6 month back surgery, and ending up in ICU with respiratory problems and she is now back on oxygen and a pulse ox alarm at night to keep her O2 level up. She had been totally off the oxygen for 4 years, so this came as a big setback. She continues to be a fighter, and has taught me so much about acceptance and unconditional love. She is truly a miracle child.

My eighth year on this journey occurred mid February, and I am living proof that there is hope for those who are battling metastatic disease….I am now a 7 year Stage IV survivor….still in treatment, probably always in treatment , but a survivor no less.
This past month has taught me to be thankful for each day, as none of us knows what tomorrow will bring. They say God doesn’t give us more than we can handle, but at times lately I have felt he is pushing the limit.
Until my life resumes some sort of normalcy, I wont be posting much, but know that you are all in my heart and in my prayers, and you are so much a part of my journey and my survivorship. I appreciate all the prayers and thoughts! Thank you ALL!

whatz 03-02-2010 05:40 PM

Re: Going through a difficult time

Dear Sheila,
My heart goes out to you. Yes, I so very much understand what you are talking about. You continue to be in my prayers!

lexigirl 03-02-2010 05:49 PM

Dear Sheila,

Please know that you and your wonderful mom and dad are in my prayers right now.

Gentle Hugs,
Lexi

Paty 03-02-2010 06:13 PM

Dear Sheila,

Thanks for taking time in the middle of this roller coster to let us know how you are doing. I am so sorry to hear that you are going through so much. I would have collapsed by now with so many bad news, but the force of love for the rest of our family keeps us standing up and fighting. I cannot say much, but I wanted to let you know that I often think of you and that I was also surprised that I had not seen yours posts neither here not in fb. May God keep you out of su much pain very soon. I send a big hug to you and your family. Sending you love.

Mary Anne in TX 03-02-2010 06:15 PM

Oh Sheila, your basket is so full! Seems like an earthquake occurred in your family disrupting all peace and serenity. I know your mom must be amazing because you are. I send my love and prayers for each one of you. I find myself coveting the hours of each day myself now. Thank you for continuing to share so much with us and giving us hope in so many ways. ma

Becky 03-02-2010 06:19 PM

You know that I am always thinking about you!

Barbara H. 03-02-2010 06:21 PM

Wow, Sheila, you have really been given too much to deal with. Please take care of yourself as much as you are able. I hope that you have some friends close by who can help. I was so grateful when you were willing to help me sort out my issues for being approved for Tykerb with Herceptin. Please know that you have been and are in my thoughts everyday.

I do appreciate the time and effort that you gave to shield some light on what you have been dealing with because so many of us here care about you. Again, try to take care of yourself as much as you are able. We understand why you won't be writing much, but you will continue to be in our thoughts and prayers.

Kind regards,
Barbara H.

Mary Jo 03-02-2010 06:44 PM

I'm sorry Sheila. Definitely a full plate.

Prayers and love...

Mary Jo

karen z 03-02-2010 07:30 PM

Sheila,
Thinking of you each and every day.
Love,
karen

lkc Gumby 03-02-2010 07:35 PM

Sheila. My prayers are with you and you family.
You have so much on your shoulders. I pray to give you strength through thes difficult times.

Gerri 03-02-2010 07:42 PM

Dear Shelia,

You have always amazed me with your strength and I continue to be in awe of you. Please know that I am thinking of you and sending positive thoughts your way.

Take care,

vlcarr 03-02-2010 08:01 PM

Dear Shelia,

You are such an inspiration. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

dchips1 03-02-2010 08:04 PM

Prayers and love to you, as your life takes on so many different journeys at once.Wishing you Peace and good times of reminiscing with your mom, and enjoying the days one at a time.

Take care
Darita

alicem 03-02-2010 08:12 PM

Sheila,

It is so good to hear from you but I just HATE all that is going on in your life. You are so strong, I know you will get through all that you are facing, but it is still . . . as Brenda would say . . . "crap on a crapstick".

Once again I find myself thanking Joe and Christine for the creation and maintenance of this terrific website. If it weren't for them, I never would have had the chance of meeting you, getting to know you & being inspired by you. I'm so grateful that we are in this journey together. I will continue to keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

~Alice

ElaineM 03-02-2010 08:16 PM

This is just too much Sheila. Hugs to you and your entire family. You will be in my prayers tonight. I hope everyone in your family will be in better condition soon.
By the way, have you considered Co Q 10 for your heart function? Maybe your cardiologist would know about it.
I take it everyday. I think some of the other members might be taking it too.
Take good care of yourself during this difficult time.

caya 03-02-2010 08:24 PM

Sheila,

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your dear family at this time.

all the best
caya

Soccermom 03-02-2010 09:24 PM

Dearest Sheila,
just want to add my prayers to the others. You are an amazing warrior,daughter/mother/grandmother & friend!
Gentle hugs,
Marcia

Barbara2 03-02-2010 10:07 PM

Hi, Sheila,
Praying for you and your family who have been through so much; one thing right after another. It is heartbreaking, as you said, to see your mom and dad so ill; knowing how much they love one another and are hurting for each other's suffering. They are so blessed for having had such love. Someday they will be together forever and their love will go on and on.

Hope the little one is getting stronger. It is so painful when children are ill. We pray she will soon be stronger again.

Bless you, Sheila. Praying for healing and strength for you and your loved ones.

Faith in Him 03-02-2010 10:29 PM

Shelia, I am so sorry you are having to deal with so much. I am adding my prayers that you are given strength to walk through this difficult time in your life.

I feel as if you are getting hit at every angle with your own health issues and now those of your parents and a grandchild. God will get you through it one day at a time.

Hugs,
Tonya

Chelee 03-02-2010 10:55 PM

Shelia, When you say it's been a difficult road, that is an understatement. I just don't know what to say...I just feel so bad for you. You have to be on major over load at this point...this is all too much for any one person. It won't be easy but please try to take care of yourself thur all this. I will be keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Big hug!

Chelee