HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Lost my Golden (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32874)

Liz J. 02-29-2008 05:47 PM

Lost my Golden

Hi All,

I know I have not posted much, and I know we all have so many things going on but I just had to share with you that we had to say goodbye to our beautiful Golden Retriever "Red" last week. I have made one post since on a bc topic, but I have not been able to write about this until tonight. She was the most beautiful girl. She looked very much like Suzanne W.'s golden. Red would have been 12 in 2 weeks. She had the life of a princess in our home. We have another golden, Erin, who is 10. She is the one who has several health issues, the most severe is her hip dysplasia. It is heartbreaking to watch Erin missing her sister. I won't get into details, but it was all fairly quick and I know she is at the Rainbow Bridge.
I have lost several pets through the years, but this time was the most difficult. She got us through so many trying times. We are grateful for the 12 years we had her. The final diagnosis was cancer. She never showed a sign until her last few days. Thank you for understanding.

Sincerely,

Liz J.

harrie 02-29-2008 06:01 PM

Liz, I am so very sorry to hear about Red. You must have all shared an tremendous amount of love together. I am glad to hear that she did well until those few days when it was time to go. Harrie

Lolly 02-29-2008 06:12 PM

Liz, I know how you're feeling. We have lost several very much loved dogs very suddenly, and the shock and grief is hard. Hope you can come to remember the good days, not the sad ones, and remember that her protective spirit will always be with you, at least that's what I think about our two dear ones.

<3 Lolly

Chelee 02-29-2008 06:20 PM

Liz, From one animal lover to another...my heart goes out to you. Its always so hard when we lose one of our fur kids. I don't care how young or old they are, its always far to soon when we have to say goodbye to them. The pain can be un-bearable. I know this is going to be a very difficult time for you and the family...which includes poor Erin. May the wonderful memories you have of Red help ease some of the pain. My throughts are with you now , & I send you my deepest sympathy.

Chelee

Mary Anne in TX 02-29-2008 06:30 PM

I sit here writing with my little black and white fur pal at my side. It amazes me how much I can love her and her brother Sam. they bark at the wrong times, want to go outside in the middle of the night, and on and on. And yet, I can't imagine anyone or any critter giving more love than they do. You must miss Red terribly. I'm glad you had the years with him that you did. Thank you for sharing the love you had for your own fur friend. ma

PinkGirl 02-29-2008 06:48 PM

Liz,
There's just something special about those Golden's.
I'm picturing Red running free and strong like the
Purina dog. Sorry for you and your family.

hutchibk 02-29-2008 06:53 PM

Deepest condolences on your loss. Our furry angels are the hardest ones to let go of. My heart hurts for you. I know that your sweet Red is running and chasing bugs and squirrels in dog heaven, and watching over you and your family every moment.

Bill 02-29-2008 06:55 PM

I'm so sorry, Liz. Back in April of 2007, we had to put our Rottweiler down. He had lost the use of his back legs, pretty much, the hip displasia. He was 12 years old, too, but still had that puppy spirit. I know how hard it is. Love, Bill

IRENE FROM TAMPA 02-29-2008 07:06 PM

So sorry about Red

Liz - our pets are so special to us and I know how much it hurts when we have to say goodbye to them. I have always had animals in my home and each time it is so difficult. Although I have loved them all, there are a few that have a special place in my heart. My current little Chelsea is a Maltese and is going to be 18 years old in July. She is blind and can't hear very well but she continues to have a good appetite and other wise seems ok. The vet say's that her heart is not bad for her age. We have to carry her from one room to the next since she cant move around without getting lost. It is so sad to see. But she has been such a wonderful companion to us and so loyal and has loved us unconditionally (and I can hardly write this without getting emotional right now)

Sorry, I don't mean to make you even more sad but wanted to tell you that I know how your heart must be breaking right now and am so sorry.
I too see her running through the fields looking oh so beautiful and free.

Take care my friend

Karen W 02-29-2008 09:30 PM

Gosh Liz, I am so sorry about your beautiful girl. I hope your heart feels better soon.

Hugs,

Karen

Bev 02-29-2008 09:32 PM

So sorry Liz. If there's another place, they will be with us when we get there. They just might be with you now. You know they wouldn't want you to be sad. Bev

Soccermom 02-29-2008 09:51 PM

My sincerest condolences on the loss of your Beloved "Red"...I understand the pain of losing one of our furry family memebers.

Marcia

Jackie07 02-29-2008 09:56 PM

When my 'Puppy' left us, our Vet sent us the 'Rainbow Bridege' printed on a colorful paper with a portion of the rainbow showing above the clouds. I wonder if it is a common practice here? It was very, very comforting to me at the time. We always talk about families and loved ones reunite in heaven, but I had never thought about the pets until I received the letter from the Vet. At the end it stated: "Puppy Dog was a very special part of our family too."

Thank you for your posting. That brings back the memory of my cute little Poodle. She showed up at the doorstep after my first brain surgery... I firmly believe she was sent from Heaven...

goops 02-29-2008 10:22 PM

I am sorry to hear of your loss, I lost my favorite dog to cancer just as I was diagnosed with cancer, I had 4 dogs but he was the youngest he was only 8. He was blind and had leg problems so I was used to carrying him down the stairs, it just doesn't seem right going down the stairs without Cody in my arms. He was a Malti-poo.

I know the kind of loss your feeling and offer you my deepest sympathies.

Sheila 03-01-2008 05:41 AM

Liz
As a dog lover I feel your pain and know how difficult a time like this is... my 2 black labs are sisters from the same littler, Sophie and Sadie...best friends, we bought them when we had to have outr chocolate put down a couple years ago...she too was diagnosed with cancer...one of us in the house seemed to be enough with the big C....although I miss her till this day, these 2 have warmed my heart and my feet may nights....I often worry about if something happened to one how the other would do, they are truly so attached....maybe a new puppy would ease the pain and give your other golden some happiness.....sending you a big hug at a very difficult time.

sarah 03-01-2008 07:35 AM

Dear Liz,
So sorry to hear about Red. Dogs are such special friends - the best in many ways. Humans could learn a lot from them - goodness, kindness, loyalty, affection, happiness, love. They should live longer. I remember my past 5 friends with love.
2 quotes you might enjoy:
"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. "

"My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am."

Hugs and love Sarah and Tania, best friend and 3 year old Griffon mix from the local refuge.
<o:p></o:p>

Hopeful 03-01-2008 07:57 AM

Dear Liz,

My thoughts are with you in your time of grief. I lost a beloved pet to cancer in 1996, and still tear up thinking about him. I hope you are feeling better soon.

Hopeful

Carol Carlson 03-01-2008 05:23 PM

Liz,
I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved dog. Having lost our yellow lab." Annie" last July from lymphoma, I know the pain you are feeling. She was my best friend in the world world and I would often tell her that. She also listened to everything I said, even the trivia.
I love the Rainbow Bridge site. That helped.
I have several pictures of her around the house..... one very special one of she and my 4 y.o. granddaughter who also loved her.
Your precious dog will always be in your heart.
Carol

G. Ann 03-02-2008 04:02 PM

I am very sorry for your loss--In sharing your gift of Red with us, you've reminded all of us of the pets we loved and said goodbye to, and the ones that we are still blessed to have.

We lost our German short-hair pointer to lymphoma in 2002. My daughter sent me a children's book, "Dog Heaven," by Cynthia Rylant--colorful illustrations and comforting words. We now share our home with a wonderful "rescue" Aussie since 2003, but, in fact, he "rescued" me in 2004 with my BC diagnosis. The author also wrote a book for cats. Hope you can find it in the library or bookstore.

Believe51 03-03-2008 12:10 PM

Sweet Liz

Dearest Liz, I am so sorry for the loss of your dear Red. I know how this pain can sear a hole right in your heart. Knowing this I wish I could make it better for you. With time you may want to adopt another dog; your heart will let you know when you are ready. I do know the void you are experiencing right now and there is no loss like this.

Three weeks before my husband was diagnosed we were taking a ride talking, crying. Our female cat Casey was a bit under the weather and we were booking an appointment for her; we knew it was not good. And yes Liz, she had a primary breast cancer, go figure!! We never knew she was ill. She had taken me from the depths of depression and helped me to heal from a very bad car accident. I was out of work for 2 years and slowly sold my entire catering business with much hurt. It was her who helped me to live through my health issues and to become the new person I was now after selling the business! It is so wonderful the role they play in our lives and hearts.

Pets are amazing people aren't they?? They are people with fur (smiling). It has been 18 months without her here but we talk about her almost daily. Thanks for making me take a moment to share your pain of losing a family member and also to remember my girl who lives on in my heart.

Hope you are feeling better soon, my heart aches for you>>Believe51

PS: Animals are silent sufferers and it is not always easy to know when they are ill, please do not feel guilty about this. Even when we are in tune with these furry creatures they never want us to see they are sick.