HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   chemo and periods (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40469)

donna77 07-17-2009 08:57 AM

chemo and periods

This is a topic I have wondered about and I just get a maybe you will start again from my oncologist. I was 54 when I had 4 treatments of AC. During my treatment my periods stopped. It has been 7 months and they have not returned....not that I am complaining. I was wondering how many of you went into menopause after chemo and how many of you resumed your normal cycle, and if you did how many months after treatment ended did it recur?

juanita 07-17-2009 09:15 AM

i did cmf as my chemo and it put me into menopause. i was 41 at the time.

Yorkiegirl 07-17-2009 11:23 AM

I was 48 about to turn 49 when I received my chemo. It's been 4 1/2 yrs. and mine hasn't returned at all. I am glad that it hasn't.

Kim in DC 07-17-2009 11:39 AM

With my first diagnosis I was 35. It returned completely like clockwork. I had AC.

My second, diagnosis, at 41, I had Herceptin and Taxotere. I had extreme hot flashes while I was on treatment but my period returned to normal.

I was diagnosed with mets at 45. I had one cycle of Herceptin and Taxotere. My period stopped and then came back. But I got a cyst that had to be removed along with my ovary

Now I am on a clinical trial;TDM1. It's not supposed to stop your period but I keep getting cysts on my one remaning ovary. I have had one removed in March and now I have another one.

Brenda_D 07-17-2009 12:26 PM

I was 50 when I had A/C. My period stopped after the first chemo and never returned, but I was going through menopause at the time anyway. It just hurried it up.

Ursula 07-17-2009 02:00 PM

Hi Donna

I was 42 when I received my chemos (3 x Taxotere + 3 x FEC) and my periods never stopped. I'm ER/PR -negative, so my premenopausal life continues as usual.

Ruth 07-17-2009 02:33 PM

I was nursing my daughter when diagnosed so I think I didn't have a period for 2 1/2 years? It started after Taxol left my system and has been on a 28 day cycle with no break EVER :-(.
My Onc was convinced it would never show again HA HA
Granted I am younger but I didn't have it for so long!

Becky 07-17-2009 02:42 PM

I had 4 AC and then 4 Taxol. My period stopped for 7 months and then returned:(

I was 46.

Laurel 07-17-2009 07:55 PM

I had 4 rounds of AC and 4 of Taxol\Herceptin. My periods stopped with chemo and have not returned over a year later. I am on Tamoxifen and I believe I was perimenopausal. Can't say I miss them!

Les 07-18-2009 05:56 AM

I had regular periods berfore 4a/c and rads and tamoxifen, I became iregular and went 18months then had one and another in 3 mo. now it has been 7 months and I have had 2 migraines lately and wonder if this is because of increased estrogen from stopping tamoxifen because of starting periods again.anyone experience this? thanks Leslie

Ellie F 07-18-2009 10:55 AM

I was fifty at diagnosis but having regular periods and no sign of the menopause. I had 4 AC and had a period after the first and second one then nothing.They have not returned now for 15 months so think they are gone forever!

'lizbeth 07-19-2009 08:00 PM

I had my period every 3 weeks with the Taxotere. Then after the 4th treatment they disappeared for a year. I just had my first period and felt like I'd been run over by 12 Mack trucks.

I am 46.

Karen Wheel 07-20-2009 06:22 AM

Chemo and Periods

I'm 44 and before chemo was very regular. During chemo (9 weeks) and then almost like clockwork about a week after I stopped the chemo a month a go, it returned. I've only had one cycle, but was normal and hoping that it is back to stay for a few more years.

I have decided (almost completely) not to do the hormone therapy as I have read that in studies that Her-2 is resistent to Hormone therapy, so I am not wanting to risk the side effects of yet another drug but starting this.

Hope this helps you - Karen

Terri B 07-21-2009 08:25 AM

I started with 12x weekly herceptin + taxol. my periods came regularly. Then, 4 x FEC every three weeks and the periods stopped. My last transaction was November 10, and I just got my first "real" period in June.

Aunt Flo was very angry with me, apparently. :(