HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Ten Year Roller Coaster Ride (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=62670)

sassy 02-15-2015 12:45 PM

Ten Year Roller Coaster Ride

Today I celebrate my 10 years of cancer free survivorship.

It has been a wild ride with many ups and downs---but the goods far outweigh the bad. Most of my issues have been side effects from treatment.

My boys were 12 and 13 when I was diagnosed--they did a lot of fast growing up--but I 'm still here to see them graduate college and to help my oldest plan his wedding this May. Life is good.

I am awaiting word from Dr. Joseph Lane at HSS in New York to receive treatment for my non-healing bilateral Atypical Femure Fractures resulting from bisphosphonate use. The treatment is a Hernigou Procedure-basically a stem cell transplant from my hips to site of fracture to promote bone regeneration.

Fingers crossed.

Thanks to Joe and Christine and all the wonderful ladies and gentlemen who have contributed to this site over the years. May each of us and this site continue for many years to come.

My best to all,

thinkpositive 02-15-2015 01:36 PM

Re: Ten Year Roller Coaster Ride

Wow, how wonderful to have reached such a milestone! So happy for you. I'm sure your've done a lot of living in the past 10 years. Its funny how much more precious life seems to be after diagnosis.

Hope you enjoy many more years NED!!!

caya 02-15-2015 05:31 PM

Great news to share Rhonda/Sassy!
10 years out is HUGE!!!

Def. a moment to eat some chocolate, cuz it's good for you!

all the best
caya

Ceesun 02-16-2015 08:24 AM

Very happy for you Sassy gal! You deserve this and thank you for all you do on the website! Cathy

PinkGirl 02-16-2015 09:57 AM

Congrats SassyGirl!! I'm right behind you ... hard to believe it's been 10 years for us ... and we had some fun along the way!

Lucy 02-16-2015 11:18 AM

That's wonderful to hear. It's stories like yours that give me hope about my situation. May you have many, many more years of NED!!!!! :)

forher 02-16-2015 12:35 PM

It's so great that many of you post your success stories. I love to read them! I hope you find the relief from your SEs. Best to you!

Pray 02-16-2015 02:34 PM

How wonderful for you and your family! And US!

StephN 02-16-2015 02:41 PM

Dear Sassy,

There you go, heading for a new, high tech procedure! I've got everything crossed for you!

Walking on eggs for so long with those fractures must get old, and it is wonderful the medical community may have this option for you.

Let us know how the next "steps" go!

KDR 02-16-2015 05:20 PM

Congratulations, Sassy! Good luck on your medical procedure. HSS is great. My father had surgery there in November.
XOXO
Karen

Laurel 02-16-2015 07:05 PM

Hey Rhonda! You are in double digits! How cool is that? Sorry those pecky fractures are sticking around. I think you will be our first "Hernigou Procedure" person. I am going to have to google that one. Is it fairly common? Guessing not since you are headed to NY to have it done. Keep us posted and informed about it as you go along so we may have your back. Best always!

Catherine 02-17-2015 08:37 AM

Keeping my fingers crossed for you! Happy 10 years with more good news to come!

Mtngrl 02-17-2015 09:42 AM

Rhonda,

I'm so glad to know you've crossed that threshold! Thank you for posting.

I'm also intrigued about the procedure for healing your femurs (and alarmed about their existence.) I hope it works for you.

Keep on keepin' on!

Jean 02-19-2015 06:11 PM

Dear Sassy,
You are accurate when you say roller coaster ride.
But thru it all you have remained a steady warrior and pleasant loving lady. I am thrilled to read your 10 year cancerversary. HSS is a fantastic hosptial. My son had 11 surgeries there and he is a walking blessing. Sending you blessings and healing wishes.

Hugs,
Jean

Pat94 02-19-2015 07:39 PM

Congratulations. Good luck with the bone fractures. Focusing on the wedding will give you something so
good to think about while you are having procedures. Thanks for continuing to share with those of us who have come later on this journey.

Jackie07 02-20-2015 01:42 AM

Congratulations!

And best wishes to the future procedure on the femur.

SoCalGal 02-20-2015 01:59 AM

Rhonda,
That is a lovely post. Modern medicine, at times it is miraculous!
Congratulations!!!
SoCal gal

norkdo 02-20-2015 07:30 AM

Congratulations Rhonda/Sassy and many more to come!!!!! Thanks so much for letting us celebrate with you!

sassy 02-23-2015 07:37 PM

Thank you all for your kind words.

AFF or Atypical Femure Fractures resulting from extended use of bisohosphonates are probably more common that most realize and may be often misdiagnosed as hip fractures.

The benefit of bisphosphonate use to combate bone loss is typically expended in the first five years of use. Extending use beyond five years opens the door for some women to develop AFF's. So the moral of my story is know the risk, be aware of the symptoms, and stop use at five years. For BC patients, Zometa has an added benefit of prevention of recurrence. So if I had it to do over again-i would still take Zometa--but I would stop at five years.

Most women do not realize they have the fractures until they experience a complete break. At this point the only treatment is to rod the leg. For me, rodding is not a good option for a number of reasons--so I am very glad I realized something was wrong and saw an orthopedist before achieving a complete fracture.

The Hernigou Procedure to treat AFF's is relatively new. At this time I believe only Dr. Lane and one other doctor in the Midwest are performing the procedure in the US.

I will be talking with Dr. Lane's office this Friday and hope we set an appointment!

If anyone would like more info on AFF's PM me and I will be happy to assist. I belong to another group of Femure Fracture gals who rival us at HER2 in their AFF knowledge and support. There are several including some who are doctors themselves who, like me, find themselves in this situation following BC treatment.

karen z 07-08-2015 09:14 AM

Dear Sassy,
A belated congratulations on your 10 year anniversary!!!
I hope that your other issues have been or are being resolved.
Take good care of yourself.
Love,
Karen Z