HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Question about lump (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=33915)

Patty F 05-08-2008 07:41 PM

Question about lump

I noticed a lump about an inch about my mastectomy scar a few weeks ago. Today I showed the onc and he said that I need to have it removed as soon as the taxol is complete. I had 11 of 12 treatments today. The onc said he feels it is a tumor and would contact the surgeon. Should the lump have appeared and grown while I am on treatment? I thought chemo was suppose to kill anything left. I had a pet scan in February and it showed a hot spot in the upper axilla region. My question is should I have another scan before surgery to make sure they finally remove all the hot spots?

Paty 05-08-2008 08:08 PM

Patty,

While I was on treatment a lump started growing at the end of my lumpectomy scar, very close to the nipple. The doctor immediately ordered a mammogram, but it showed that it is tissue growing due to scar, fat that got clogged with no circulation. It's been a year since that. I just went to see a famous onc in Mexico City, he didnĀ“t like the lump either and ordered a new mammo. He confirmed it was tissue growing due to the scar but no malignacy. I have to have this removed too, I still do not know when the doctors will schedule the surgery. Couldn't your doctor tell you from the pet or with a mammo if this is some benign tissue growing? Check it out with him, it could be just some fribosis from the scar.

Paty

Becky 05-08-2008 08:12 PM

The scar is the most difficult tissue because it does not have good circulation so chemo and herceptin do not penetrate the scar tissue well. Therefore, if a cancer cell is left behind there, it might grow even though you are still in treatment. That does NOT mean that the chemo did not work elsewhere. IF it is tumor, it will be removed and radiation (which is also synergistic with Herceptin) will finish the job.

Have faith

kcherub 05-09-2008 05:20 AM

I have a little lump on my scar line, but after a mammo and US, it was determined to be scar tissue! I am hoping the same for you!

Keep us updated,

Colleens_Husband 05-09-2008 08:38 AM

Patty:

Colleen had a pretty big lump grow where the breast meets the armpit. It turned out it was a hematoma which was a result of blood and fluid from the surgery.

For your sake, I am glad that your oncologist is taking it seriously. You are much safer if the doctors assume that it is a tumor, and it proves to be something else, rather than assuming it is something else and it turns out to be a tumor.

I know this must be emotionally difficult for you. Hang in there. We are on your side. You will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Lee

MJo 05-12-2008 07:34 AM

I'm thinking good thoughts for you. The odds are definitely in your favor. Waiting to hear the results.

Belinda 05-17-2008 04:03 AM

Lump

Hi there

About 6 months ago I felt a lump a little above my scar, on my chest wall, about half the size of a pea. My onc said "see the surgeon - could be a small tumour nodule" and surgeon said "not sure I like the look of this - off for an ultrasound and needle biopsy".

Anyway, turns out it was an oily cyst, which was caused by fatty tissue breaking down and turning to scar tissue. It completely collapsed hen it was biopsied, and sonographer was really sure it was nothing and pathology proved her correct. It filled up a little and I can still feel it but I am not worried about it at all now.

I hope your investigations prove your lump to be equally harmless.

Bx

atdec05 05-18-2008 11:09 AM

Hi Patty,

I had a lump (actually looked more like a pimple) appear near my mastectomy scar on my last month of Herceptin. My onc. referred to my dermatologist, who said if it didn't go away after a few weeks, get it biopsied. As you can see from my signature, it did turn out to be more IDC. As Becky noted, the area close to the scar can harbor some cancer cells. It is good that you're getting it looked at to clarify what it is. Based on the results, then more scans may be ordered.

Sorry but I wasn't clear - did you have rads? That is effective in treating the scar area.

take care,

Anna

Jackie07 05-18-2008 07:27 PM

I would be very, very careful even when all the doctors say it is just scar tissue. I wish I had requested an ultrasound or biopsy when they told me that what's on the mammagram was 'just' scar tissue.

My 'scar' tissue grew to be over 2 cm before I had the correct diagnosis - during that time I was getting sicker and sicker - took 4 days sick leave from work the week before the mammagram. And the margin of my mastectomy was only 0.5 mm from my pectoralis muscle.

Better safe than sorry.