HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Who is definededekt? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53168)

Westcoastgirl 02-10-2012 11:08 AM

Who is definededekt?

I am wondering what is going on when I receive messages that this person has posted on a thread I have posted on. The message is gibberish and I see all the posts by this person are the same piece of gibberish. Can someone explain please and if this is nonsense can the person doing this be eliminated from the site? I always worry about a virus being introduced. Thanks, Carolyn

dsv 02-10-2012 11:11 AM

Re: Who is definededekt?

I also received this. Hoping someone responds with a solution.

BonnieR 02-10-2012 11:41 AM

It is spam and has been happening to us periodically. The gals who manage the board try to eliminate it as soon as they can. If you notice on the bottom left of the offending message there is a red triangle. You can click on that and it will report the offending message to the moderators.
I think it is disguisting that they invade our space where people are hurting and needing answers. Only to receive an offensive message.
Our moderators do the best they can. Some of our newer members might not know that our co-founder, Joe, passed away several months ago so the board is being kept alive by volunteers among us.
Keep the faith

ETA: Do you think I used variations of the word "offensive" too many times! lol

chrisy 02-10-2012 01:19 PM

definededekt is now a dead spammer. Well at least deleted and banned.

We do have several moderators (in multiple time zones) who monitor the board and try to spot these and deal with them.

It's helpful if you report the post, or I really liked this thread which id'd the user. I checked in and immediately saw this and was alerted there was a problem.

Please don't post ON a thread that a spammer has hit, it makes it harder to spot. One way I peruse them is to look at the last poster (particularly on "older" threads) and check them out if I don't know the name.

Thanks for your vigilance to help keep our site safe and friendly. We have also been working on software solutions to try and block them without making it so burdensome to post that our REAL members can't access the site.

chrisy 02-10-2012 01:19 PM

Bonnie, you can't use the word "offensive" too much when talking about spammers!

StephN 02-10-2012 02:08 PM

Good work, Chrisy -

We do try to catch these buggers before they do harm and send unwanted and unappreciated messages.

There are different kinds of spammers, and we can't always see what they are doing.

CoolBreeze 02-10-2012 02:10 PM

Hey mods - I don't know if you have administrative access to the forum, but you can set it up so that you get emails of the reports. I mod another board and when when people hit that "report to moderator" button, an email comes straight to my inbox. We have a hack called "ban and delete" which means one button will delete all their posts for the past five days, ban them. Very easy!

tricia keegan 02-10-2012 03:41 PM

I also moderate another board and like Coolbreeze I get a report ticket straight to my inbox when someone reports a post!

StephN 02-10-2012 04:01 PM

Yes, if there is a questionable post, please use the REPORT POST button below the poster's name. That report will go to more than one inbox and someone will get it quickly.

I would estimate that less than half of the questionable and even definite spam messages get reported.

This is a group effort and we appreciate all the help from you legit members!

Rich66 02-10-2012 09:02 PM

In the right circumstance, Spam can be a lifesaver. These idiots denegrating this forum don't rise to that level. If karma is real, "Good luck with that"...............

Delaney 02-11-2012 03:24 AM

I dont understand the motives of these awful spammers. Are they selling something or just trying to hijack a good website? They are a nuisance but I just ignore them, am wary of getting a virus.

chrisy 02-11-2012 10:35 AM

Yes, we get emails when someone reports a post, which is helpful. I also check in several times daily and am able to delete before that are reported. Yesterday was just awful - I think I spent more time deleting posts than reading! I would delete/ ban a bunch only to click on the new posts and have to whack another. Really???

Rich, I think you're talking about a different kind of spam...

StephN 02-11-2012 11:06 AM

Yes, Chrisy -
It seems like the run up to the weekend is when the creeps get more active. I don't let down my guard then, and glad you don't either.

CoolBreeze 02-11-2012 01:52 PM

I don't think there are real people posting things. They are spambots, automatically finding forums and posting stuff. They have no clue what forum they are posting on so they aren't picking on cancer patients. :)

NanaJoni 02-11-2012 01:57 PM

I have learned the hard way never to open an email from our forum - very frequently it's a spammer and then terrible, obscene emails go out to every on my contact list. If I get an email from a thread I'm part of - I delete it and come to the forum website to check it.

chrisy 02-11-2012 04:54 PM

True, these aren't real people... But if we could just get them all to post exclusively on THiS thread, it would be much nicer:)

Westcoastgirl 02-11-2012 06:33 PM

I also do not understand what a spammer could accomplish by doing what definededekt did? Of what use is such gibberish to anyone? I would truly appreciate being enlightened. Thank you for all of your brilliance in advance. Carolyn

chrisy 02-12-2012 10:59 AM

There are a lot of stupid people in the world...if you are dropping a zillion hooks, only a tiny fraction needs to bite!

Too bad we can't put a sign on the door saying "only smart people are in here, don't waste your time, dumb spammers!"