HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   mouth sores (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45815)

Pam P 06-30-2010 10:52 AM

mouth sores

The xeloda is causing my mouth to be really sore. I can't see any white spots or any break down in tissue, but the insides of my cheeks, roof of mouth, sides of tongue, and gums are really irritated. I'm having trouble eating, brushing teeth, etc.

I read about ideas on previous posts. I've bought Tom's of Maine toothpaste - that is painful too. I've also got the biotene rinse and have a script for magic mouth wash. The magic wash(maalox, lydocaine, benedryl) helps a little but the maalox stuff is not pleasant. I'm also trying baking soda & warm water. Also taking ibuprofin. The onc. nurse said they could prescribe vicodin for pain, but that seems like over kill at this point. I've also read a post on mycelex trouche and may ask for a script for that.

Any other tricks and suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. Pam

BonnieR 06-30-2010 01:08 PM

Re: mouth sores

Don't have alot to offer regarding the pain. Sympathy, of course. I did use the magic mouthwash at one point during tx.
I was going to suggest that you try drinking some nourishment. Ensure and the like. Liquid yogurt. Non acidic juices. Using a straw.
I am so sorry you have to go through this. Keep the faith

CourtneyL 06-30-2010 02:14 PM

Pam - one thing that worked for me for both mouth sores and GI issues when I was on Xeloda was buying L-Glutamine in a powder form. Mixing it with a little juice in the morning and gurgling it around in my mouth a few times before swallowing. Hope you find something to help. Avoiding spicy foods can also lessen the pain.

Mary Anne in TX 06-30-2010 03:11 PM

Pam, warm salt water did as well for me as all the other stuff. I had to gargle it about every hour, but I knew it wouldn't do me any harm. Good luck, ma

Midwest Alice 06-30-2010 05:03 PM

I don't have any other ideas for you Pam, but just wanted to say I love your new picture. Very cute

PinkGirl 06-30-2010 07:26 PM

Hi Pam

I used warm salt water ... tons of it ... like maybe 10 times per day.

Jackie07 07-01-2010 11:24 AM

Pam,

I was prescribed the same stuff when I had mouth sores. The only suggestion I have is to eat very plain, soft food. Rice soup (lot of water cooked with half cup of rice) is easy to chew and digest. It supplies energy (starch) and fluid. You can also add some sweet patato in the soup to get more fiber and taste.

Catherine 07-01-2010 10:02 PM

Pam,

I think you already know most of the tricks. It sure seems like the simple remedies do help. Baking soda and warm water. How wonderful that others remember just how often they administrated the simple remedies. Wishing you well as you get through all of this treatment and discomfort. Keep the faith, we are with you.

Hugs, Catherne

schoolteacher 07-02-2010 10:47 AM

Pam,

Hope your mouth is better today.

Amelia

anne2 07-03-2010 02:27 PM

Hi Pam,
Try finding a dentist with a laser. They can soothe your sores with the laser and they heal very quickly.
www.waterlase.com. Otherwise you can try diluted peroxyl mouthrinses you can get in the pharmacy. Hope you feel better.

flynny 07-03-2010 03:29 PM

I used the "magic mouthwash" and I would gargle with salt water several times a day. They suck, that's all I can say. I used to get 4-5 at a time. When I get them now, I get about 3. I don't know why that is but it is annoying! I also used the Biotene toothpaste. That worked ok.

Pam P 07-03-2010 03:41 PM

Thanks for all of your suggestions! My mouth feels a little better today. I am off xeloda now for a week and suspect it will get better with the chemo rest and then get worse again when I get mid way through the xeloda days again. I hadn't been using the remedies as often during the day as some of you said so I will step it up.

I am trying to eat the bland and liquid things that will go down easily and also be satisfying. Of course what I really want is something chewy, tasty, and a bit spicy! Oh well.

mmoons 07-07-2010 08:11 PM

Absolutely LOVE your cute photo and sweet face! I am always thinking about you and praying for you, Pam. I hope your mouth feels better!

Maureen

harrie 07-08-2010 12:12 AM

Besides Biotene, there is Rembrandt (the one which says it is for cold sore sufferers).
Stay away from any toothpaste product with sodium laurel sulfate as it will further aggrevate the situation. That ingredient is actually the foaming agent and is not necessary for the oral hygiene.
Stay away from mouthrinses with alcohol.
Good luck. Hope you feel better.

Ellie F 07-08-2010 02:05 AM

Hi Pam
Love the hair, you look great.
Have you tried rinsing your mouth with manuka honey in a little warm water?
Ellie

mamacze 09-25-2020 05:56 PM

Hi Pam,
I had many many mouth sores early in my treatment course and know first hand just how miserable they can be. My oncologist had me try a prescription mouth rinse called Caphasol. It worked immediately - sores healed within 3-4 days. My health insurance covered it. I highly recommend. You'll see it if you Google it - urge your oncologist to let you give it a try. Good luck, I hope you find some respite.
Kim from CT

donocco 09-25-2020 10:27 PM

Before you can see a doctor and get a prescription Mouthwash, you can buy Maalox and Diphenhydramine elixir over the counter. Get a prescription plastic bottle from the pharmacist and make a solution ( suspension) equal parts of the Maalox and Diphenhydramine liquid ( Benadryl). Shake well and use as a mouthwash. The acts in the body as an anti-histamine but acts locally as an anesthetic. This may give some relief. If you swallow this the Diphenhydramine can cause drowsiness
\ Paul