HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   how did you know the cancer metastisized? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54698)

AliciaB 06-09-2012 06:42 AM

how did you know the cancer metastisized?

The thread title says it all. How did you know? Body feelings or scans?

KaiM 06-09-2012 10:26 AM

Re: how did you know the cancer metastisized?

For me it was scans, but I was stage 4 right from the start. For most early stage people they develop symptoms and then the onc will order the scan.

CoolBreeze 06-09-2012 02:42 PM

I had a back ache. My doctor did a bone scan that came out fine. Next appointment, it was still there so he did an abdominal CT. It showed liver mets. Which were unrelated to the backache; it was considered an incidental finding. I have never had any problem with my liver, even after I had half of it removed.

And, the backache is still there, probably my old bed. :)

MJsHusband 06-09-2012 04:39 PM

MJ was stage 4 at diagnosis so liver met was detected by scan. Her second endometrial mets were due to excessive bleeding and a trip to the ER. And I do mean excessive!

~Greg

hutchibk 06-09-2012 07:02 PM

I was diagnosed early (stage 2b), before Herceptin was approved by that organization that will remain nameless.

My recurrence was 14 months after I finished chemo.

We saw the earliest hint in rise of tumor markers, and then on CT scan followed by Pet, 1 very small in chest nodes, 1 very small in lungs, 1 very small in an underarm node. I went on chemo for 10 months (taxol, carbo, herceptin - which had then been approved - for 4 months and herceptin alone for 6 months). And then I was clear for 4 months.

Again, we saw the earliest hint in rise of tumor markers. I was diagnosed with what we would then call metastasis at that point, on CT scan, followed by Pet, 1 very small in upper bone of neck, 3 very small in lungs. We added taxol to herceptin...

I have been very sensitive to tumor markers (CA15.3 we used) as the earliest hint that something was active.

Then the rest is history. Ha.

Vicki revised 06-09-2012 07:36 PM

I was dx with stage 4, mets to liver. My bc dx was shocking enough but the liver mets more so since I had no symptoms.

However, I did have symptoms with reoccurence b/t Nov and Feb but attributed my lack of appetite, weight loss and nausea to stress of the holidays and change of lifestyle at retirement in Dec. My 3 mon PET in Feb showed mets were back while tumor markers remained low.

Hopbird 06-09-2012 07:53 PM

First with scans...I was considered pretty early and not expected to relapse. They were checking the good side and saw stuff in the other side that they followed up on. Later THEN during treatment of that there was brain activity that I went in for...So I guess both eventually, but scans first.

Where I'm at they don't do markers....

michka 06-10-2012 12:37 AM

Slight raise of markers. Just above normal. Asked for Pet/Scan. Michka

KristinSchwick 06-11-2012 04:45 AM

Mine was horrible horrible horrible back ache. I was limping all the time and trying to jog (I thought it would loosen up my tight muscles) put me into tears. Difficulty sleeping too. So doc ordered bone scan followed by PET- both said bone mets to spine and hip, but other organs clean.
Kristin