HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   scared of falling (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50310)

Pam P 06-06-2011 02:50 PM

scared of falling

I'm doing about the same as my update a couple of weeks ago with the good scan results - maybe an "inch" stronger.

Bu a scary thing happened to me few days ago. I fell outside coming from my car to house - I can't get up by myself when I'm on the ground/floor. Luckily my neighbor was right there & my son was in the house so the both of them pulled me up. AND I didn't break anything. So my strength/balance and inability to get myself up is a big problem.

I do back to physical therapy next week (out patient) with my main goal now to be able to get myself up from the ground - whether I fall or just want to get down on the floor. Hope they can help me accomplish that. 2nd goal is to be able to go up & down a flight of stairs (to my basement) at least once a day so I can be independent with my own laundry.

"Funny" how I always took these things for granted. I carry my cell when I'm outside but don't often remember in the house - I may want to check out those alert necklaces, but they only work at home - if I was out somewhere it wouldn't help - so I need to continue getting stronger.

My confidence was low in walking outdoors before & now of course it's worse. I to use a cane always outside. I have a walker & maybe should use it outside, but I'd like to avoid that for many reasons.

Has this ever been a issue for you & how do you cope or how did you learn my a method to make it easier to get up? Thanks. Pam

PatriceH 06-06-2011 07:07 PM

Re: scared of falling

It sounds like you're definitely in a scary place. We love our independence and want to hold onto it as long as possible. Please make a pact with those who love you to keep close tabs on you so that should something happen, help isn't far away. It may be time to move the laundry to the main floor...some how, some way. Easier said then done, I'm sure...I'll be praying for you to increase in physical strength.

michka 06-07-2011 12:24 AM

Pam why cant you get up when you are on the floor? Lack of muscles? Pain? Did they expect that and explain? The physical therapist should help you with this problem. Putting your cell phone around your neck when you go out is a good idea. Like the young girls do....very fashion.

Sheila 06-07-2011 04:55 AM

Pam
Have you had your counts checked? I am sure they check them before each Halaven....giving up our independence is so difficult...like it takes our pride with it, but Pam, use the walker and the cane now until you regain the strength, then you can fly solo.....and ask for help....I know you are a strong proud woman, but we all need help, dont be afraid to ask.....sending prayers that you feel stronger each day.....as the muscles strengthen, so will you!

ElaineM 06-07-2011 09:10 PM

I hear you Pam. I am the survivor of a hip replacement not related to cancer. I also have osteoarthritis. I took more physical therapy and learned how to do most of my housework in new ways, so I can continue to be independent and live alone.
Phyiscal Therapy will help. Be sure to discuss your fall with your therapist, so she or he can prescribe exercises to help prevent more falls and teach you how to help you get up easier if you do fall.
I know you will take good care of yourself everyday.

Jackie07 06-07-2011 10:48 PM

Pam,

That sure is scary! Always wearing something with a pocket where you can put the cell phone might be one possible solution. (Though my cell phone tends to fly out of my shirt pocket whenever I lean forward. :)

I've had the same experience at least twice in the past. The most recent one (last year?) happened when I went to the drive way to pick up the morning newspaper, a task I'd done hundreds of times. Somehow my mind was not focused (worrying if anyone in the neighborhood might see me because I wasn't dressed 'properly':) that day and I lost my balance (I have left-side weakness caused by the brain surgeries) before reaching down to get the newspaper - scraping my knees and bruising my calves.

Now I know I have to be 'focused' in doing everything. Not only can I no longer 'multi-task' - do two things at one time, I can't even do anything while 'thinking' about something else. [Or 'holding' something else - my Father-in-law broke his hip the second time when he was holding the tax form while stepping up trying to open the door. He was supposed to be using his walker...]

Do remember to use your walker and take your time when moving in between tasks. We all need to be careful as we now belong to the 'fragile, handle with care' group!

ps. About how to get up - perhaps you can try roll yourself first to face the groud and then use your hands/arms to support yourself while getting up.