HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Day 5 - Confetti! (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40266)

hutchibk 06-30-2009 10:28 PM

Day 5 - Confetti!

So, today was my final day of zapping the new (and now cooked) bug in my brain.

All went tremendously well as usual... hallelujah! I had absolutely no side effects at all. 5 days, 20 minutes each day, we zapped the 2 mm sucker from 21 different angles. It didn't stand a chance.

Now I just wait and see what fabulous new weird haircut I will end up with after this round ;). Shouldn't be as freaky as last go round I am guessing... I hope not.

We videotaped my visit today, and if it is of any decent quality at all, I will figure out how to post it for all to see... so that you can see just how really, truly easy and painless IMRT targeted brain rads can be.

Jackie07 06-30-2009 10:36 PM

Sounds neat! Congratulations, we'll be 'waiting' (for the video).

SoCalGal 06-30-2009 11:02 PM

I hate when I miss whole things. Didn't know you were getting zaptrons again, Brenda. Glad it's over and you feel well. I look forward to seeing your video. I think that's a fantastic idea. We should all start filming different procedures. It would help others so very much. I am going to ponder this a bit more. Even filming me might be good - it would sure show how to do things "my way or the highway". LOL. Tomorrow is my PET-CT. Yikes, I hate these tests! xo Flori

hutchibk 07-01-2009 12:33 AM

hey NED in the head... after this week I am too! And I am swiss cheese in the head, too!

Glad you are doing well, twinkie. Don't let inscanity get to you too much...

XO

Ellie F 07-01-2009 03:34 AM

Well done Brenda glad you have well and truly sizzled it! So pleased you have not had any side effects, that is such good news

I hope the video turns out as it would be such a brill idea to show it on the board.
Just to show my ignorance I do not know what IMRT is or if its different than gamma or cyber knife?
Does it affect your hair growth? I take it thats what you mean about hairstyle.

Ellie

jml 07-01-2009 05:04 AM

You're a true warrior, Brenda!
Powering through another battle, with grace!

Now go celebrate:)

Sheila 07-01-2009 05:15 AM

Brenda
Glad the zapping is over...now on to the important things, like living! You are an inspiration to all that experience brain mets.....you make it seem like a piece of cake...cheesecake! Cant wait to see the hairdo!!!

Believe51 07-01-2009 09:05 AM

Since confetti and cheesecake are covered, I'll take the balloons. Brenda, another chance to tell you that 'you rock'!! Thought of you all week as I felt the confident healing energy leave Rhode Island and head west to you.

I have pictures of Ed's Gamma Knife and wanted to post them but thought I might scare some. I think a video is a perfect way to take the scary part out since there is sound. If anyone wants to see those pictures just ask, it would be an honor to share.

Oh, and I will take care of the clean up, this looks like it is going to be a 'rocking' celebration!! Congrats Buddy, never had a doubt!!>>Believe51

hutchibk 07-01-2009 09:07 AM

IMRT is Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy. Essentially, the machine is a Linear Accelerator... and the beams used are the similar to Gamma or Cyber, which are mostly just brand names. It does make my hair fall out in oddly shaped areas wherever the beams are directed. Since this was just one small tumor in the left cerebellum, I am hoping that I don't get as many crazy mangy looking bald spots as I did last year when we targeted 5 little brain bugs... but, only time will tell.

Here's a video - it's not mine, but it's the one of my doctor, Dr. Timothy Dziuk - who is a ROCK STAR. All of his patients absolutely adore him, including me (he is our Patch Adams). At about 3:49 in the video you will see a woman getting snapped down onto the table in an immobilization mask, and that is how my treatment was accomplished every day for 5 days...

This is a fantastic and informative video - I encourage everyone to watch it!

http://www.youtube.com/TimDziuk#play.../1/5kkCw30Jb7s

Colleens_Husband 07-01-2009 09:24 AM

Thanks Brenda. The doctor has some communication skills. He made a complex procedure pretty easy to understand. A good doctor with communication skills? No wonder you have such high praise for him.

IRENE FROM TAMPA 07-01-2009 09:32 AM

So happy for you brenda

You are such an inspiration. You always seem to maintain your sense of humor through everything you go through.

Its makes us all feel great. Hope you do too

hutchibk 07-01-2009 10:28 AM

Oh geez Irene - without the humor, I would be a miserable cuss. Sometimes I am even with the humor. :)

SoCalGal 07-01-2009 12:53 PM

Too weird!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Twinkie for sure...

I get to my scan today, and am sitting in the "don't move a muscle" room, waiting for the hour to pass. My onc comes in and asks if I WOULD MIND BEING FILMED!!!!! I'm sorry, I am still just bowled over by the timing of this. Last night I kept thinking about what a great idea you had on the filming real things to help others realize what it's like to go thru the different things we endure. WEIRD. Weird. WEird.

Some people are working on a Documentary called Jump for the Cause. 180 Women Sky-divers to raise one million bucks for Breast Cancer. Last time they raised $500,000. Anyhow, as part of their documentary they want interviews with survivors. They filmed my Pet to show the process to include that as well. They interviewed me after. I asked what they wanted me to focus on, since I have such a Lonnnnnggggg story:) Then they say, well quite honestly, most people have been only addressing the "rah-rah" aspect of survival. Would you be willing to talk about real issues, feelings, etc. Me? Ha-ha. There ain't no sugar coating in floriland. I told them my segment should be called my way or the highway, real stories of survival.

Honestly, it's creepy weird that this happened today. xo Flori

Paty 07-01-2009 01:28 PM

Brenda,

Thank you so much for the video and the learning. I am so happy for your results and knowing that you are feeling well. God bless you and keep up the good spirit.

Paty

Shobha 07-01-2009 01:33 PM

Brenda,

Congratulations on completing the brain rads! I am sure the results are great and you will continue to be NED in the head.

hugs,
shobha

Diane H 07-01-2009 01:44 PM

That's wonderful to hear!
Hugs, Diane

Bill 07-01-2009 04:05 PM

Congratulations, Hucklebuck! Thanks for being you!

caya 07-01-2009 08:52 PM

Brenda-

Glad your zap treatments are over, warrior woman.

all the best from Canada
caya

Ellie F 07-02-2009 03:19 AM

Thanks Brenda, glad I asked you to explain. It seems like it might have helped others to understand this procedure as well.

Love Ellie

suzan w 07-02-2009 11:08 AM

ooooohhh the idea of a cooked bug in your brain is a good one...all shriveled up and poof...it's gone!!!