HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Weekly Taxol for Stage IV (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=64408)

MaineRottweilers 01-15-2016 02:37 AM

Weekly Taxol for Stage IV

Amy (MNTGRL) recently remarked the following in a recent thread:
"Cancer is a mind game. If the fear and anxiety take over your life, then cancer wins, regardless of what it does to your body."

...and it really struck me. Now that I am on indefinite weekly treatment how on EArth do I keep those feelings at bay? There is absolutely no relief or escape from the fact that this miserable disease has taken over my life. I live around its effects every day without respite (as many of us do).

Indefinite, weekly treatment. Really? Is it worth it? My oncologist told me that I will stay on Taxol until I cannot tolerate the SEs or it stops working. How do you plan a life you want to live on weekly Taxol? I know some of you have done it and I need your help---I can't even get away for a weekend. At least on the Taxotere, I had a week that I felt well and was able to ignore that cancer has a grip on my life.

We changed to Taxol because the SEs are supposed to be milder but this is an SE that I didn't plan for, didn't consider and don't know how to deal with. I wonder if I should tough it out and ask to go back to Taxotere. I'd rather not, I wasn't able to work and I do see myself being able to get back to at least part time on Taxol.

I could use a little insight. Maybe I am missing or misunderstood something. I plan to have this discussion with my MO on the 28th but it would be nice to have some of your experiences to be lead by.

Juls 01-15-2016 04:30 AM

Re: Weekly Taxol for Stage IV

So sorry to hear this.
I had taxotere when initially diagnosed but it was 3 weekly. Just been put on Xeloda on 31st Dec. due to progression (bone). Like you told this is for as long as it works. Only plus is that it is tablets taken at home.
Are there any other options?

MaineRottweilers 01-15-2016 06:05 AM

We haven't addressed other options. I want to stick with the taxanes, they are working so I hate to waste the efficacy and move on to a treatment I might need later. Buying time is the name of the game for us. I wonder if dose dense Taxol might be an option or if the SEs are more like Taxotere.

Hoping someone has some suggestions to bring to my MO or to help me cope with the pervasiveness of weekly treatments. I monthly is doable, weekly has me worked up. Maybe it's just an adjustment and I will get used to it, especially if someone tells me that I can skip or hold doses so I can go away for a weekend.

Juls 01-15-2016 06:14 AM

Some of the ladies here have delayed treatment a week to go on holiday so hopefully you could do this.
Your right it is an adjustment! I was on H,P & Femara until 31st Dec. When I was told about 2 bone mets - treatment immediately withdrawn & put on Herceptin injection & Xeloda. Didn't have time to think. Only now adjusting to the change.
Take care
Juls

jra40 01-15-2016 09:20 AM

Tracy - Sorry you are going through all of this, I am praying for you everyday. I totally agree with you on cancer being a mind game, I am the most positive person but once I was diagnosed, cancer had a vice grip on my mind no matter how hard I tried to stay positive.

I had Taxol as my last protocol drug weekly infusions and I was able to take a holiday when I wanted to go on vacation. You may be able to do this too, you need a mental break.

Hang in there, praying for you - many hugs!

Jessica

Carol Ann 01-15-2016 09:23 AM

Me too along with Jessica, Tracy.

Carol Ann

jaykay 01-15-2016 01:38 PM

Tracy - I'm really sorry you have to go through this. It sucks but take it a day at a time (sorry about the platitude, but that's all any of us can do). I honestly don't know how I would cope but I'd bet my feelings would be very similar to yours.

Please know that we are all pulling for you!

Janis

Pamelamary 01-16-2016 12:55 AM

Hi Tracy,
What about Abraxane? - I believe that it is the most tolerable taxane. I sympathise with your dread of weekly treatments, but have heard taxol is easier than taxotere (which I hated, though it was truly effective for me).
Is there also a hope that the chemo might shrink things enough to then reduce treatment for a while? The prospect of treatment for the rest of our lives is depressing, but they surely vary in degrees of awfulness!
Best wishes..... Pam

WayTooYoung 01-16-2016 11:52 AM

Hi Tracy,

I am currently on taxol and herceptin. I get taxol on day 1 and day 8 with one week break. Perhaps you can ask your Onco about that? I too felt pretty defeated when my Dr told me I would be on taxol as long as I can cope. The thought of having to continue doing treatments with no end was detrimental news. Rest assured that there are other treatments after this and I do find it rather easy to tolerate. I can drive home after treatments and I can work and do day to day activities. I did have some back pain and it appears to help with that. Also, I was given a 2 week break from treatments last month so it is do-able. Hope this helps and feel free to PM me if you need someone to talk to.

XoxoN

Mtngrl 01-18-2016 09:22 PM

Tracy,

I'm so sorry this is such a slog for you. I was on weekly Taxol for three months. It was my first 3 months of treatment, and I was in a daze. But I started doing guided imagery almost as soon as I was diagnosed, and I did a lot of knitting.

I am not consistent about engaging in practices that I know to be helpful in addressing anxiety and fear, but even though I'm not "good" at it, I have found these things to be helpful:

--Mindfulness. Even for just a moment, slow down, take a deep breath, follow the breath, do a body scan. Note how your body feels. Take that state of relaxed awareness of what is going on right now with you into your day as often as you think of it. See. Smell. Taste. Listen. Be here now.

--Guided imagery. I was recently introduced to yoga nidra, and I love it. It's like a little vacation. I also have guided imagery products from a group called Health Journeys on cancer, relaxation, and also trauma.

--Creativity. Do whatever you can really get lost in, just for its own sake. For about six months I spent a lot of time coloring mandalas. I don't know why, but I found it soothing.

--Touch. (I live alone and have no pets, so I really fall short here.) Hugs, snuggles, massage. Petting a dog or cat. Holding hands.

--Denial. I had an uncle who was a survivor of the Bataan Death March. He said that in prison camp he started an "I like it here" club. He said not too many people wanted to join. But one of his survival strategies was straight-up, flat-out denial. For a fantastic example of this kind of technique, see the movie "Life is Beautiful."

--Journaling. When I'm anxious there's usually something underneath. I do free writing, exploring what I'm feeling, describing it as accurately and immediately as possible, and resisting the urge to react, interpret, or evaluate. I usually don't feel like it's helping, but often look back later and realize that it did.

--Talk yourself down when you're feeling panicky. Take five to ten slow, deep breaths. You might do a "breath prayer" with it, repeating one phrase on the inhale and one on the exhale. Something like, "Breathe in light, breathe out darkness." Or, "there is/ no tiger." Or you could visualize a stop sign. Or imagine you're a little girl in the lap of a safe, loving, trustworthy adult who's giving you encouragement and holding you close.

--I am never anxious when singing or knitting. I have knitted a whole lot of things since my diagnosis. Plus I'm creating artifacts of my presence on the planet.

--Dance. Dance fast to a strong beat until you're sweaty and out of breath. Or put on something soulful and use your body to express your feelings.

--Read whatever you classify as "escape fiction." Watch funny or romantic movies, or action movies, whatever makes you forget who you are while you're attending to it.

As for my opening remark about not being good at these practices. I think that's part of the practice. I do the best I can. I don't drown myself in recriminations when I forget to do them or backslide or whatever. I'm trying to learn to love myself and love my life the way I am/the way it is. I can't build on weakness, so I try to notice strength and build on that. Like the instruction for meditation that if you notice your mind wandering you "gently" bring your attention back, I try to be gentle with myself.

Jedrik 01-18-2016 10:52 PM

Thanks Amy. I'm just trying to figure out where to put this advice so I'll find it whenever I might need it again. Making it into a prepage of that cancer diary seems a good choice.

Mtngrl 01-19-2016 07:04 AM

I forgot to mention affirmations. I learned a set of them from the Health Journeys CDs/MP3s. They include things like, "I am healing and I will continue to heal," one of my favorites.

Whether or not these strategies extend my life, they make life richer, fuller, and better from moment to moment. And, really, the present moment is all we have. Right now, nothing bad is happening.

Namaste,
Amy

SoCalGal 01-19-2016 01:45 PM

Tracy,
Amy said it very well, and perhaps later I'll start another thread with "coping skills" as a heading, I'd like to save her post, too.

Meantime, I have a younger friend, who is a stage 4 thriver for 13 years! She is her2+ along with ER+ has been through the ringer, back surgery, body casts, she's still in her 40's, strong family history, lost her mother years back, YET she manages to mostly keeps her act together.

She is my hero for how she handles her life, so I'll try to articulate how she manages. Firstly, she is never in panic mode, she takes in news in a calm way and then gathers info and talks/networks, then makes decisions. She does weekly navelbine, along with Herceptin (not sure if that's weekly) and she takes breaks when needed. She also travels as an advocate, and speaker and many times she arranges to do her infusion in other cities - that's the epitome of brave. She is single by the way, which is harder than if you have a partner to support and reassure you all the time.

I think for my friend, the ability to make travel plans, and then plan chemo or treatment around these trips that make her happy, give her something GOOD to think about. Planning treatment around travel makes it more in her control. Then the travel becomes priority and treatment just a matter of fact. I've copied her often, announcing my travel plans to my team and saying I'll be skipping the following treatments, allowing time to bounce back before the trip so I can enjoy myself. Travel escapes really work, the world keeps spinning and I feel like a "normal" participant in life.

I've said this for 16 years; "Cancer is a mind game". If you can change up your thoughts once you've made your treatment decisions, quality of life vastly improves. And as Amy pointed out - it is a practice. And as our parents liked to say: "Practice makes perfect".

xoxo

Vicky 01-20-2016 10:56 AM

I started Taxotere, Perjeta and Herceptin, July 7th, 2015. But the side effects of the Taxotere were too much, and we switched to weekly Taxol in November. Yes- the "indefinite," part is the hardest to hear. But two times we've delayed a week, so I could travel, and I have to say it feels like I am managing better- especially after I had my 3 month PET scan at the end of December and was told I had a Complete Response. First time in just under 5 years I've ever had a CR or been NED. So we just reduced the dosage a bit, and will continue on, indefinitely still. Its always reassuring to sign in and see that I am not alone in what I am experiencing and going through.

My saving grace has been a stage iv support group started at my treatment center. We were awarded a grant from the Avon Foundation and meet once every two weeks with a therapist who helps us with whatever we are dealing with at that time- (no cost to us) We also practice mindfulness, meditation, etc., and have created lists of coping strategies, etc. that we all have used. We are a well bonded group and the face-to-face time truly helps see us through.

Peace and love to all~
Vicky

jra40 01-20-2016 12:04 PM

Hi Tracy - Just checking in on you to see how you are doing?

MaineRottweilers 01-22-2016 06:36 AM

Hey ladies, thank you for all of the great input. I love the strategies for coping and moving through the difficult days. I know these are meant to be long term life changing habits but I am finding they do work, even in the very short term. Great stuff you have provided and I do believe a spin off sticky would be very helpful for revisiting or for newcomers.

I am elated to hear that treatments can be postponed for travel. This is so encouraging that I am going to start planning some trips, I think they too will be therapeutic. I am really excited by the thought of a retreat and I will be certain to budget in my treatment withholding and retirement robbing to fit it in. It's something I do not want to miss.

I'm doing a great deal better, emotionally and physically. I just had a week of the reality of what we face as stage IV patients. I will do as suggested and make a different reality. A reality where I am going to retire 20 years early and enjoy all of the things I have always wanted to do and make that weekly visit to sit in the chair and hold the hands of cancer patients as they take treatment with me and we will all be well.

Juls 01-22-2016 07:09 AM

Good to read you are feeling better
Juls

thinkpositive 01-22-2016 03:19 PM

Tracy,

So glad to hear that you are doing better. I think of you often, sending positive healing thoughts your way. I also retired way before I planned (about 10 years) and have found it to be one of best decisions I've made. We never know what the future holds and I didn't want to spend my time working. Because I'm not stage 4, I wasn't eligible for SSI. I do miss the paychecks but have adjusted my spending and lifestyle to my current reality.

Have fun planning those vacations and I hope to meet you in person if the HER2 retreat comes to fruition.

Take Care,
Brenda

waterdreamer 02-20-2016 12:30 AM

Tracy, I am so happy you are feeling better. Taxol and Herceptin do not have to be forever. I always try to have a plan A, B and possibly a C plan. Things change. Treatments get better. You never know what new treatments are coming along. You always have options. I have seldom let cancer scare me, I just go with the flow and deal with the punches. I think that really helps.

Sending you lots of healing wishes

sarah 02-20-2016 10:34 AM

Tracy,
You will be able to take it. Chose a good day, maybe a Monday so that if you're tired from it, it won't effect the whole week.
I was on weekly Taxol for 6 months and I found reading very helpful, it took me away. I also would turn up the Eagles "Get Over It" up loudly and listen to it whenever I felt sorry for myself.
I was able to postpone a treatment so I could fly with my husband to Paris so he could meet with a surgeon for treatment for skin cancer on his lip.
I was also offered a break after 4 months but I stupidly didn't take it and the following week I did have my first and only anxiety attack at the hospital but it passed in about 20 minutes just in time to get the infusion. So if a break is offered, I would take one. And if you want to go away somewhere, ask about postponing a treatment.
Think week by week not forever. I was told I would be on Herceptin for life. I got into the habit of celebrating each visit to the hospital to get the treamtment knowing it was keeping me alive and I would take the nurses chocolate, talk to the other patients and get them coffee or magazines and time passed and I didn't mind it. After 6 years they decided I could stop and we could see what would happen. I was actually a little nervous about stopping! I stayed on it about 6 months longer because I had to get ready to stop! So hang in there.
Amy I loved your suggestions and I have forwarded them to the support group I belong to here in France for English speakers. We have free Mindfullness classes for cancer patients and their caregivers and they are quite popular and helpful. it's been scientifically proven that it helps.
Tracy, I know forever sounds forbidding but you can trick your mind. Enjoy your life. Remember, "Living is the best revenge"
Live well, be strong, your HER2 family is with you.
hugs and love
sarah