HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Short Sleep Duration Linked To Aggressive BC (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55650)

KDR 08-28-2012 08:22 AM

Short Sleep Duration Linked To Aggressive BC

http://www.news-medical.net/news/201...t-cancers.aspx

Ellie F 08-28-2012 10:38 AM

Re: Short Sleep Duration Linked To Aggressive BC

Thanks for posting this article. I have always believed that severe stress in the 2 plus years before my diagnosis was a big factor. Due to this I had huge difficulty sleeping at night as I couldn't seem to switch off. Then when I finally got off to sleep I would wake up feeling very anxious.
Seems like this is yet another piece in our jigsaw!
Ellie

BonnieR 08-28-2012 10:45 AM

I concur. I have said that if stress causes breast cancer, I was a good candidate. Was under alot of stress prior to the diagnosis. Not that it caused it but maybe contributed to it...

Jackie07 08-28-2012 11:00 AM

I seldom gets 'stressed out', but my sleep quality has always been 'bad' because of the life-long brain tumor(s).

And I used to have pre-m syndrome and terrible cramps every month... In my mid-20's I read a book about how sleep would affect the menstrual cycle and the degree of discomfort/pain... That explained why the symptoms were always better during tract/basketball seasons - because I'd be 'exhausted' and having better-quality sleep!

I have no doubt that my sleep problems had contributed to the super fast-growing BC...

tricia keegan 08-28-2012 03:03 PM

Similar story here!!

Paula O 08-28-2012 04:22 PM

Me too on a couple years of sleep deprivation and stress..

I wonder if improving restorative sleep post diagnosis improves prognosis.

Paula

Pamelamary 08-28-2012 04:56 PM

Why am I not surprised at this link between lack of sleep and aggressive breast cancer? But what could be done about it? Stress and the dreaded hot flushes aren't so easy to eradicate!
Pam

carlatte7 08-28-2012 08:08 PM

Me, too...i have taken 1 or 2 Benadryl every night for at least 5 years. It gets me 6 hours.

karen z 08-29-2012 04:13 AM

yes......................

Andrea Barnett Budin 08-29-2012 10:58 AM

Short Sleep Duration Linked To Aggressive BC

I have read multiple studies that proclaim this over the last 15 + yrs. Our bodies heal, restore and repair during sleep. That was my take away. So, as an insomniac, further stressed by bc, I asked my doc for "something". He gave me Ativan, which I take at night, cause it causes drowsiness, and calms me (and my brain) down.

I feel it is my responsibility to get a good night's sleep. If I have to add Ambien, I do so. I also can go natural and add Valerian Root or Theanine.

I have been getting a great night's sleep as a result. Do I believe this contributes to my NED status. You better believe it!

SLEEP WELL...! BE WELL...!!

Andi

KDR 08-29-2012 12:07 PM

Andi,
Hello, beauty! I, too, take Ativan nightly, with a 1 mg. dose of Klonopin. I strive for at least eight full hours. Also, Ativan during the day if I need it...stress is a major factor in how well the body functions. When my PTSD kicks in, perhaps on an elevator or the anticipation of a crazy-angled escalator, I'll take one. My Ph.D. says it works within five minutes.
Happy Day,
Karen

Andrea Barnett Budin 08-29-2012 01:57 PM

We must each take good care of ourselves! We deserve that. We must do what is necessary to keep our sanity midst bc travails. Comes with the territory.

You Karen, are so wonderfully positive and I admire that so! I meditate, I talk to myself, I have my mantras that I repeat to myself daily, I offer loving support to anyone and all as I go about my day. It is what we are here for. To help one another. But sometimes, an Ativan 1 mg, or whatever is needed to keep us able to do such things.

It is our duty to ourselves to care for ourselves in every way. And getting a good night's sleep is essential, as we are being shown over and over again.

All this keeps our Spirits up, a smile on our face, a serenity in our heart, despite it all. It boosts our immune system and draws more positive energy to us! It's a win/win. We receive what we give...

Hug yourself for me. Please. http://cdn-cf.aol.com/se/clip_art/gstres/celebrte/hug

Andi

Lien 08-29-2012 05:11 PM

Before my diagnosis I had been having sleep problems for years. Our first child cried a lot (3+ hours a day) and woke up every hour. So for 2,5 years I never slept for more than an hour without being woken up by him. Then we found he was allergic to several foods, put him on a diet, and started getting some sleep. When I got pregnant with my second baby, I slept badly. My mother died and my dad developed prostate cancer. Then an ultrasound showed that our baby might have Down's syndrome or a heart problem or both. We didn't know he was healthy and normal until halfway through the pregnancy. So yes, we had some stress.

I was diagnosed with BC when my youngest was 3. By that time I was sleeping better. Who knows.

My father was prescribed melatonin for his sleeping problems and that works well for him. I read somewhere that it inhibits cancergrowth, which is a bonus. It is a natural hormone that regulates our sleepcycle.

Jacqueline