HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   neck nodes? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30274)

Patricia 09-28-2007 09:57 PM

neck nodes?

For those that have had recurrence to supraclavical and neck nodes - how big were they when you found them? I have found 2 very petite pea size nodes and don't know if these are enlarged due to an infection or something or if I should be worried about these. One is right above my collar bone on the opposite side and the other is on the back of my neck, right below the base of my skull on the affected side. I have had swollen glands before and these are not those. I dont ever remember having anything swollen in these locations before from a cold or anything like that, i guess that is why these have me wondering.

I would really appreciate hearing from anyone who has had a recurrence to neck nodes so that i can know if i should be worrying about these. The one above my collar bone has been there at least since the end of July, but I didnt really worry about it until I just found the one on the back of my neck. I am seeing my onc at the end of Oct. Is this something I should worry about before then? Should I be calling and asking them about these? or should I not even worry about these at all?

Patricia

Sheila 09-29-2007 06:01 AM

Patricia
From someone who has been dealing with the neck node issue for almost 5 years now, mine started out the size of a raisin when I felt it above my collar bone on the same side as my mastectomy. Mine occured during reconstruction while I had the tissue expanders in, so 2 Dr's thought it was an immune response. I demande an excisional biopsy, and the path report showed lymph nodes containing Her2+++ Er- Pr- , same as my Breast Cancer. (I was node negative at original diagnosis). I cannot comment on the one to the back of the neck, but I would call your onc. and maybe they can get you in for a CT before the appointment...just make sure they include the neck.
I am hoping it is just inflammation and nothing else is there...neck nodes are a pain in the butt to treat...they just keep coming back for more.

Mary Anne in TX 09-29-2007 07:11 AM

Hi Patricia! I know how you feel. I have a bump on the back of my lower neck and my markers are jumping up and down. I see the doctor on Oct. 8 and will request scans (when I ask for them...only twice...he gets up and walks with me to the scheduling person and asks her to get me in that day or the next....he knows how hard waiting is.). Mine is a bit bigger than pea size, but could be anything, I guess! I'll be thinking of you and believing with you that it is just some "pain in the neck" nothing!!! Please let us know when you know something. mary anne

CLTann 09-29-2007 07:14 AM

For all cancer survivors, any palpable node is cause for concern. I would check them out prompto.

lilyecuadorian 09-29-2007 09:10 AM

I agree with Ann ..I hope is nothing but check anyways for be sure on this diseise we need to be a little hypocondriac ....so we will be fine like all the hipocondriac

swanky 09-29-2007 11:40 AM

Hi Patricia - I agree with the other ladies: err on the side of caution and get it checked out. My recurrence in the supraclavicle node was on my cancer side and was initially missed by my onc. Then after his exam I said I could feel something in there if I turned my neck a certain way...so he went back and found the tiny lump, ordered PET/CT scan right away. Then during a 4 week time frame (waiting for genetic tests results for tx purposes) it grew to where it was a VISIBLE lump above my collar bone.

Maybe the fact that your's isn't growing is good? Scan it for sure. Don't know about the back of neck tho...

PM me if you have any other questions! Good luck,

Leea

Patricia 10-01-2007 09:41 PM

Thank you everyone for your replies. I love that I can get advice/feedback from all of you so quickly. Luckily, the little 'node' on the back of my neck turned out to be a bite or pimple and has come onto the surface more now that time has passed. It really got me nervous to have the little one above my clavical that has been there and then to find the new one on the back of my neck. I am feeling much better now that I know I am back to the one that has not been changing size. I am off to my onc in 2 weeks so I am going to hold on until then and talk to him about it. Thanks again for all the concern and advice. As always, you gals are the best.

Hugs,
Patricia

Unregistered 05-21-2008 11:51 AM

something on the back of my neck

Hi everyone,

My name is Sandi. I live in upstate NY. As of last week I am a 3 year breast cancer survivor. In March of 2005 I was diagnosed with lobular carsinoma in situ, with resulted in a bilateral mastectomy and tram flap reconstruction. Ironically enough the only reason I was diagnosed was because I had a breast reduction and found out when I went to get my stitches out 10 days later.

Anyway, about a week ago I was putting my hair up when as I brushed my hand along the back of my head to smooth my hair I felt "something" You see the type of cancer I had I not a hard mass that could be felt so I didn't know what I was feeling. I decided to wait a few days before calling my oncologist. Well I went to see him yesterday, he didn't want to do anything just yet he wants me to come back in 3 weeks provided it is still there.
Needless to say I'm pretty nervous about the whole waiting thing.

If there is anyone who has a "something" on the back of their neck could you please write me and let me know things like where it was in relation to your hair line and what it felt like, if it hurt or not. I'd really appreciate it, I'm really trying to freak out!!!

Thanks
Sandi