HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Just saw this on 60 Minutes - Myriad OWNS the BRCA1 & BRCA2 Genes. Unbelievable! (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=44563)

Gerri 04-04-2010 07:48 PM

Just saw this on 60 Minutes - Myriad OWNS the BRCA1 & BRCA2 Genes. Unbelievable!

I can't believe what I just saw on 60 Minutes. Myriad Genetics OWNS the BRCA1 & BRCA2 genes. This is the reason why only Myriad can test for these genes and why the test is so expensive. This is truly unbelievable.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/...in;cbsCarousel

Jackie07 04-04-2010 08:08 PM

Re: Just saw this on 60 Minutes - Myriad OWNS the BRCA1 & BRCA2 Genes. Unbelievable!

Yip, and they charge $3000.00 for the test. The young gynecologist(?) told me I had to pay for it myself. I complained about it to my oncologist and he ordered it for me. Later the insurance company approved my hysterectomy/oophorectomy based on my BRCA1 Variant of Unknown Significancer and family history.

Oncologists have greater power in this area because that's their specialty, I guess.

I also called my oncologist when my family doctor told me I need to get a second opinion for my hysterectomy/oophorectomy. The oncology nurse 'relayed' his approval over the phone after I told her about the new cancer case (2nd Brother's colon cancer surgery last fall) in my family in addition to Mother's Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma.

I would think there is an expiration date for the patent. It is frightening that certain genes are 'property' of a 'company'. Though I'm grateful that they had invested in the procedure.

Same thing with Herceptin... We are just 'high-matintenance', I guess.

michka 04-05-2010 01:27 AM

Re: Just saw this on 60 Minutes - Myriad OWNS the BRCA1 & BRCA2 Genes. Unbelievable!

I don't understand. Lani posted "Judge invalidates Myriad's BRCA1/2 gene patent" just a few days ago. Michka

Jackie07 04-05-2010 02:17 AM

Here's the link to a Business Week article dated 3/29/2010 about the ruling:

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...-update1-.html

Unregistered 04-05-2010 12:37 PM

I have been in the cancer business for over 15 years and am very familiar with Myriad and their BRCA testing. First off, 60 minutes has had a very biased slant on the company. (Look at their episodes from back in 2001.) Myriad does not "own" the gene or genes, just the abilities to replicate for testing or additional "research" without consent. There many academic and research institutions that have the ability to run their own tests on these genes in house. As far as who can order the test--Any physician can order the test for their pt. and most insurances will cover the cost of the test (as little as +/-$300 and up to $3000) if it is medically necessary. (Most insurances adhere to the NCCN guidelines.) This is not a test for the 62 year old women who gets breast cancer with no family history. I know many surgeons who order this test routinely as part of the inital work up on a pt---if the pt. is under 50 regardless of family history.

Finally, what many fail to acknowledge is that many academics "own" genes as well. But b/c they are not a public company that is traded on Wall Street it is OK. If it was not for the Wall Street financing of Myriad who knows when the genes would have been discovered. $3,000 is expensive for a test, but considering the results and the power/knowledge that they offer for the indivisual and the families involved it is not that bad. It is much cheaper than the chemo regimines that are offered by Big Pharma and there is little outlash from 60 Minutes on that.

suzan w 04-06-2010 09:40 AM

Yikes...we are really in the science fiction age...as I chip away at my bill from Myriad (they were very willing to put me on a payment plan...)I find this all very interesting. I did not see the 60 min show, nor had I heard about any of this till I got to an internet cafe just now and logged on! My insurance company did, however, pay for my prophylactic oopherectomy, based on the results of the BRCA. Glad the ovaries are gone, and every month when I send off my $20 to Myriad I will think about all the background stuff that goes on every day concerning the intricacies of health care/politics/money.

Unregistered 04-07-2010 04:01 AM

Susan--

I find it odd that your insurance did not pay for the testing performed by Myriad--especially if they pd. for your surgery. Did you file an appeal? Also is it an insurance exclusion or an employer exclusion. Most of the time denials/exclusions are pointed at the insurance company when it is actually the employer that has excluded that portion of the plan--often to reduce premiums. If it is an emloyer exclusion it can not hurt to apporaoch your employer to see if they would reimburse you and if not, at least add it to the plan for future candidates.

PinkGirl 04-07-2010 06:04 AM

Does Myriad own all the genes or just the genes that
reside in the USA?

Soccermom 04-09-2010 09:20 PM

Too cute ,Pink! ...Jackie, they 8 years left on the patent...