HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Black lifting nails (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56987)

starwishn2 01-06-2013 10:42 PM

Black lifting nails

Wow.. I am so glad to be done with Taxotere. We did not get along very well. All my finger nails are black. I am having issues now with five of my finger nails and two toe nails lifting. One is bleeding from under the nail. I keep my nails short - and have bandages on a couple of them but typing (which is what I do the majority of time at work) is difficult along with picking things up, zipping, writing...etc. and they hurt.

So many others here are dealing with much worse issues. I'm sure there's really nothing I can do, is there? Maybe I just needed to vent a little with a group that understands.

Jeri

karen z 01-07-2013 08:33 AM

Re: Black lifting nails

I had the same issues when I was taking Taxol. I don't know if there is anything to be done now- and my nurses told me to expect such problems. With time (awhile) all nails on my hands finally looked normal (perhaps? with more ridges but are they are fine- as in, I will take them!). It took longer with my toe nails and over much time they are mostly normal. The nails on one of my large toes is a bit thicker than the other one. I think what you are experiencing/have experienced is "par for the course".

tricia keegan 01-07-2013 03:21 PM

Mine didn't go black but did lift off which was painful, I dont have any advice except I just kept plasters on the broken one's and they did grow again so its all temporary thankfully.

Paty 01-07-2013 04:58 PM

Jeri,

I did not have taxol, but with chemo my nails also turned black, the color will fade with the weeks passing.

Love to you.

Lori R 01-07-2013 07:16 PM

Chiming in to add to everyone elses's input... your nails will return.

I had a flare up on an oozing nail and went to the emergency room to have it removed. For some reason it was the last straw. I was done with taxotere a couple of weeks earlier and was anxious to be on the mend. THEN....with plans scheduled with friends I hadn't seen for a long time, I end up in the emergency room. I just sat there and cried, (no...not tears down the cheeks...sobs, a few gasps in there for dramatic effect) apologizing to the young ER doc. While sweet, she had know idea the depth of my dispair.

Wow...long winded point. It may seem trivial but it isn't. AND, Your nails will return. Even after being removed.

Sending rays of warming sunshine to sooth you.

Lori

starwishn2 01-12-2013 01:52 PM

Thank you to everyone for your replies. I know "someday" it will be better...... and it's really a small thing with what so many are dealing with right now. Thanks for all your hugs and love~

Jeri