HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   help please..mood swings on herceptin (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46633)

jhandley 09-06-2010 01:29 AM

help please..mood swings on herceptin

Hi all
I am having shocking mood swings on herceptin..any suggestions please. I took some flaxseed oil at noon which helped but I cant stomach it in the morning.
It is affecting my life dreadfully...almost depression like in intensity and then a few hours later I am fine.
Jackie (down under)

ElaineM 09-06-2010 10:30 AM

Re: help please..mood swings on herceptin

I am sorry to hear that. I don't know of any food that will help, but there might be some kind of inbalance in your body that might affect your mood. You might be on the right track. Can you get tested for that? Is there someone your doctor can introduce you to so you can talk to someone about it. Having a major disease can upset a person's mood too. All I can offer right now is a hug, so here is a BIG one for you !!

Jackie07 09-06-2010 10:41 AM

Sorry to hear about your suffering.

My solution (suggestion) has always been 'exercise'. Any types of physical exercise will increase the release of endorphin (aka 'Happy Hormone') and lift up your mood.

Swing your arms and tap your foot if you don't even feel like getting up from your bed/chair. Watch some comedy shows and dance to the music...

vlcarr 09-06-2010 11:52 AM

I had the same thing happen to me while on herceptin but mine seemed to be related more to chemopause. Since I've been taking Abilify my mood swings have disappeared. I know this isn't for everyone but I truly feel like adding that to the Cymbalta saved my life. I literally thought I was losing my mind! And, I may be:)

R.B. 09-06-2010 03:06 PM

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Jhandley

What is your intake of long chain Omega 3s like inc fish and shellfish, which also are good sources of minerals iodine etc.

Omega 3s are a factor in mood, and imbalances are often found in those with depression bipolar etc.[
/COLOR]

vlcarr 09-06-2010 06:16 PM

The doctor made sure to explain to me that I was not bipolar. He told me when I read the information on Abilify to not freak out. He has me on a very low dose compared to what is normally taken. All I can say is that after 2 weeks my mood swings were gone.

I need to take some Omega supplements--just haven't gotten there yet. Need to check with my nutritionist to find out how much to take and what.

R.B. 09-08-2010 04:43 AM

My apologies I have duplicated this below

R.B. 09-08-2010 04:44 AM

Hi J Handley

I just found this link whilst looking for information on depression and low glucose.

It certainly contains some interesting material

http://www.hypoglycemia.asn.au/artic...epression.html

jhandley 09-08-2010 06:53 PM

Hi RB
I take high dose DHA and am back on flaxseed oil daily which is helping. Right now I have a mre pressing problem..I have had unsteadiness for about 5 days and am having a head CT this afternoon to rule out brain mets.
Cheers
Jackie(down under)

Laurel 09-09-2010 06:39 PM

Hey Jackie,

Just wondering how the CT went. Results yet? Believing for the best.

pibikay 09-10-2010 12:40 AM

hi
all
I just did not know herceptin causes mood swing and depression.
My wife has been having fits of depression and I thought it was the facr rhat the children had gone back to the US
best of health to all

Ellie F 09-10-2010 03:46 AM

Hi Jackie
Thinking of you and hoping and praying your head CT is NED. Please let us know. Having just been through the same I know how anxious you will be.
Love Ellie

Chelee 09-10-2010 05:17 PM

Jackie,
Have you spoken with your onc to see if there is anything he/see could give you that might help with this herceptin issue you are dealing with? Elaine made some good points too. I know just having this disease alone affects my mood big time.

I hope they don't make you wait to long for the CT results. But I'll be keeping good thoughts & prayers for you that it's NED. Give us an update when you have a chance.

Chelee