HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Trip before double mx - (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61965)

eva9310 10-04-2014 08:34 AM

Trip before double mx -

So Wednesday was my last chemo do to neuropathy concerns. Surgery is scheduled for Nov 13th.

My husband and I are thinking about taking a trip to NY the weekend before. It's 5 weeks after my last chemo. My friends think it's too risky. I've yet to get sick knock on wood and my counts should just get better right?

I feel like we should take this weekend as to be honest our intimate life will never be the same. We will recover and it will be fine but it will be different and we will have lots of emotions and changes we will work though.

Our anniversary is in December and we won't be able to celebrate that as I will be recovering. Thanksgiving and Christmas are our favorite times of the year.

Anyone have any thoughts or reasons why traveling would be bad? I'm 41 and in great health so to speak. If it were not for the stupid neuropathy chemo would not have been hard on me at all. So I feel it would be ok.

suzan w 10-04-2014 09:02 AM

Re: Trip before double mx -

I say Go For It!!! We have to celebrate as often as possible with those we love!

sarah 10-04-2014 10:28 AM

I agree, go for it! Have fun.
love sarah

SusanN 10-04-2014 05:34 PM

Eva...after I had read about your problems with your neuropathy, severe itching, walking, etc on another one of your posts...my heart truly ached for you...we each experience our own journey of aches & pains...however, just wanted you to know I was sending prayers your way...SOOOOO GO ENJOY YOURSELF ON A WONDERFUL TRIP WITH YOUR HUBBY!!!

Nurse4u2day 10-04-2014 09:14 PM

I say you go for it!!!! Enjoy this time. After I finished my last chemo hubby and I took off for a few days to visit family and I'm glad we did!!!!

hestko76 10-05-2014 07:23 AM

I say go and enjoy! I went on a cruise after 2 TCH treatments (with my oncologist's ok) and did fine. Just remember to rest when your body says REST.

jaykay 10-05-2014 11:59 AM

Go for it - I went to Malaysia 8 weeks after chemo and 2 days after radiation was complete. Onc's approval, too.

Have fun, I love NY

Best
Janis

Jackie07 10-05-2014 12:26 PM

Wash your hands often and gargle with salt water (with a pinch of baking soda) 4 times a day just like when you're undergoing chemo ... (Just on the safe side - as a cold would not show symptoms until 3 days later)

Enjoy your trip. (Moving around is actually good for resolving neuropathy as the nerves will get connected with more 'sparks' - seriously, I'm not kidding!)

Becky 10-05-2014 03:20 PM

Go, go go. Have a fabulous time.

caya 10-07-2014 08:24 PM

Absolutely go and have a fabulous time!

all the best
caya

leldredge1 10-07-2014 10:05 PM

I agree that you should go on your trip and have fun you are probably overdue for some fun and pampering!

BonnieR 10-20-2014 08:13 PM

Your friends don't know Cancer survivors the way WE know cancer survivors! By all means GO! Go everywhere every chance you get
And even though you may need to let other people do Thanksgiving while you are waited on I bet you'll be good for the Christmas holidays Just pace yourself and do those things that are most meaningful to you
Keep the faith

Pamelamary 10-20-2014 09:15 PM

Go for it, Eva, and have a wonderful time! (I am a great fan of the idea of making hay while the sun shines!)
Best wishes.... Pam