HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Remembering jml our Jessica (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58308)

NEDenise 06-06-2013 04:47 PM

Remembering jml our Jessica

1 Attachment(s)
I'm still in shock at how quickly Jessica's long war with BC came to an end. She fought valiantly, was so upbeat...posting updates only a few days ago...a truly amazing woman! And a treasured friend...

From the time I first encountered her in our HER2 community, she was supportive, and encouraging, but I will always be grateful for the way she reached out to me when my brain mets were discovered. As a brain met survivor herself, she had such wisdom to offer. And her words had a credibility and compassion that came from walking the same path and coming out the other side. She was instrumental in helping me reduce my terror to a manageable level.

I'll also never forget the grace with which she handled the illness, and subsequently the death of her beloved father. My heart aches for her Mom and family, but I know her Dad was overjoyed to welcome her home.

I will miss her smile, wit, wisdom, courage, and especially, her friendship.

Jessica,
I know in time my joy for you, and the peace you've found, will overcome my pain at losing you here with us...but right now, today...it hurts to say goodbye. Rest well my dear friend.
With love,
Denise

StephN 06-06-2013 07:53 PM

Re: Remembering jml our Jessica

1 Attachment(s)
This makes me want to crawl into a cave to avoid any more sad news. Jessica was an early contributor to this support site. Fortunately she did have some periods when her disease was in control and could go on about her life. But she never forgot us and would pop in to check on those she cared about.

Jessica was able to join our goup in San Antonio in Dec of 2011. She was overjoyed to be able to come to the breast cancer symposium and meet the important people in research for herself.

I am happy to share this photo of her from one of the evening presentations. She had been giving rapt attention in case there was something new for her. At that time Halaven was giving her a good run.

RIP my dear friend. Maybe you can give some pilates instructions to Joe and Christine!

sassy 06-06-2013 09:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sadly from this group in 2011 we have lost Jessica (second from left front), Brenda (left front) and Chrissy(right back).

Paty 06-06-2013 10:42 PM

I am so sad for the loss of Jessica, she was a valient and brave friend with a big smile and with such a positive attitude. Meeting her in person was a great pleasure! I will miss you Jessica. I will miss your examples of strenght and gret attitude towards life. RIP my friend.

Paty

Redwolf8812 06-07-2013 03:34 AM

I always looked to her posts for encouragement. She went through so much.
- Penny

lkc Gumby 06-07-2013 11:30 AM

so so so sad to lose her....

StephN 06-07-2013 01:01 PM

Jessica was a discreet and considerate woman. As her problems were getting more and more critical she did not openly post the full extent being mindful of the recent passing of Chrisy and Christine's situation.

In late May Jessica did post of her chronic anemia and bone marrow problems. This was basically "code" for "I can't handle any more chemo."

If you missed her post with this link to a Genentech video, it is well worth watching. You will see Jessica's sister Johanna and a glimpse of Jessica herself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3WOSOhe2xs

The intelligence and compassion inherent in Jessica's family come through in this video. I never got a chance to thank our Jessica for posting it. Here's hoping the hugs and laughter we shared in San Antonio will suffice.

karen z 06-07-2013 02:57 PM

Steph,
Thanks for posting the video. It was really inspirational. I also found the video below- made at some point at Emory and featuring Jessica. I thought folks would like to view:

http://whsc.emory.edu/home/multimedi...-4-cancer.html

IrvineFriend 06-07-2013 03:46 PM

Steph,

Thank you for that video. I adored Jessica and now better understand how caring she was. It's just so sad.

Cat 06-07-2013 04:15 PM

Thank you Steph and Karen. I loved seeing the videos. She was more than I knew. She gives me inspiration. She had so much to give I am sorry it had to end. She will be missed.
Cathy

chekmark 06-07-2013 04:18 PM

We have lost so many in the past few weeks, so sad. I am at a loss for words. It feels as if i have lost of a member of my own family. I will never understand how we all go thru so much and then it ends just like that. May they all R.I.P. We have some awesome angels looking over us, lets never forget them.

Mandamoo 06-07-2013 04:52 PM

Oh hearing her speak is so beautiful - she certainly left a footprint.

Barbara H. 06-07-2013 05:10 PM

My heart just goes out to Jessica's family. This news just shocks me, in spite of the fact that I knew that she was not doing well. In addition, I feel for all of our HER2 families (and I say families) that are struggling and facing their struggles with so much courage. Although I am doing well, I broke my ankle in January in four places, needed extensive surgery, and was on medical leave from school for three months. I returned in the middle of April and will finish at the end of June due to all our snow days this year. My husband and I leave for Germany on June 30th. We haven't been back to Germany together in years and are looking forward to this trip. Our middle child is 30 and has autism. She is going to camp for 4 weeks this summer which allows us to get away.
I am swamped at work right now. Every teacher in our building has to move to a different room, and packing up with my ankle is not easy. Elementary classrooms have a lot of materials. It is unbelievable what I have accumulated over the years.
My oncologist feels I should never retire, but I turned 65 this year and I recently told him that next year will be my last year. I may still work part time on projects with the system and help out,but not full time. I also have two grandchildren and I want some time to spend with them.

As many of you know, I am also stage four, and one never knows when the ball will drop. We have received just too much sad news these past few months. In spite of the fact that I do not post that often, this website has has been an indescribable resource and support to me. I hope that after next year that I will have the opportunity to attend the San Antonio Conference and meet some of you. My dream is also to travel more and perhaps have the opportunity to meet some of my HER2 cyber friends personally.

Thank you again for all your support. I send all the best to those of you who continue to struggle and I hope that you find eventually be given the treatment that works.

Kind regards,
Barbara H.

europa 06-07-2013 05:48 PM

OMG, I had no idea she past away. I just saw some posts of hers. I'm shell shocked. She was one of the first to respond to a post I put up when I was first diagnosed and always commented on my dating saga after cancer. We lost a gem but I know she is flying through heaven having a blast right now. RIP dear Jessica. I will think of you often, you will not be forgotten for you have made an impact on so many on this site and around you.

Midwest Alice 06-07-2013 06:10 PM

I'm so sorry for her family.. Jessica will be missed here, I have enjoyed her post over my 4 years. this is a hard time.

karen z 06-07-2013 09:05 PM

If anyone knows anything about services for Jessica I would greatly appreciate it if you could post the information.
Best,
Karen Z

StephN 06-08-2013 12:08 AM

KarenZ - can you watch the Atlanta papers for on obit or notice?

karen z 06-08-2013 12:19 AM

Hi. I have been looking at The Atlanta Journal and Constitution off and on all day. As of a couple of hours ago....nothing yet. I will keep watching.
Best,
K

karen z 06-08-2013 10:41 AM

Hi. Still no news in the major paper in Atlanta.

CoolBreeze 06-08-2013 01:04 PM

Oh my gosh, she is a staple on this forum and I had no idea she was doing this poorly. I am so sorry for those who met her, who knew and loved her.

This is a horrible beast, cancer.