HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Chemo and rash? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58438)

MaineRottweilers 06-25-2013 06:02 PM

Chemo and rash?

1 Attachment(s)
I had my first TCH infusion 11 days ago. This morning I woke up with a rash, lightly dotted and raised, all over my body--scalp to toes. I stopped by my MOs office on my way to work just to see if I should be worried or not. They said if it didn't bother me or spread, it didn't seem worrisome. They said I could use Benedryl or go to the ER if it worsened.

I've used Benedryl but the rash has progressed from pin point raised to welted, pustules all over and so dense that it's almost patchy in some areas. It's neither painful nor itchy so I'm not going to go to the ER but I will ask MO for an appt tomorrow am if it's not significantly improved.

Has anyone else had anything like this so long after an infusion? Could it be infusion related or think it's just coincidental? Just curious if it's a chemo happening or a life happening. I can't think of any new exposures in the last few days.

KsGal 06-26-2013 07:09 AM

Re: Chemo and rash?

I also did TCH, and I know that one of the possible side effects is a rash. My doctor usually advised Benadryl, but that doesn't seem to be helping you. :( From the picture, I am surprised it isn't bothering you more, pain or itching or something! You must be a tough cookie. Since they said it it spread or worsened to go to the ER, I would at least call your doctor's office back and let them know whats going on. As far as it being 11 days after your infusion that it showed up, that does seem odd, but you just never know. Those SEs like to pop up and surprise you. Praying that your rash clears up soon!

jaykay 06-26-2013 03:08 PM

I had a very nasty hand rash that started after my 2nd chemo and didn't appear until about 10 days after my infusion. Itched, burned, especially when exposed to the sun (from a window!). I also took pictures to show my onc.

Nothing over the counter helped so I called my dermatologist and got a prescription for a cortisone cream that really helped.

Hope your rash clear up soon!

MaineRottweilers 06-27-2013 10:12 AM

Oncology team is pretty certain is a drug reaction to Herceptin. I'm horrified that I won't be able to use Herceptin any more or will have to be on mega doses of steroids to use it. My Cancer is HER2/neu positive only and this targeted therapy was my life line. Is anyone else out there drug sensitive to Herceptin and still able to use the protocol? I've heard there are several experimental drugs but they are always used with Herceptin. Not looking forward to forging ahead into the unknown.

tricia keegan 06-27-2013 03:38 PM

If you were getting it three weekly perhaps try a lower weekly dose???

Emy 06-28-2013 09:26 PM

I have the same rash....Mine is from Taxol...try Aveeno cooling lotion....calamine lotion, cera ve body lotion for all over....and last resort a cortisone cream....My rash is mainly on my chest, upper back, hands.....I use ice on my hands and feet during chemo to prevent rash on my hands....ice also helps with neuropathy too...hope this helps....
Eileen

MaineRottweilers 06-30-2013 03:06 AM

I'm taking Taxotere but I am sure any on of the Chemo drugs could be responsible. They put me on steroids as the rash really advanced and blistered. I have an appt with my MO to go over the results of Friday's PET scan and what to do about this rash. Thanks for the suggestions.

Pray 06-30-2013 11:42 PM

Praying it goes away soon. Hope all goes well for you!