HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Herceptin / Tykerb (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Is there an "ideal" time of day to take tykerb? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51795)

qpdawlsmom 10-15-2011 04:51 PM

Is there an "ideal" time of day to take tykerb?

just started tykerb/herceptin combo and wondering if there is a better time of day to take the tykerb? morning before breakfast or at bedtime? I see there are many that have had experience with these drugs and would appreciate your feedback. thank you.

Trish 10-15-2011 10:13 PM

Re: Is there an "ideal" time of day to take tykerb?

I think the advice is to take it on an empty stomach (one hour before a meal)so I used to take it about 6am and have breakfast 7ish. But I read that the empty stomach was to standardise the absorption and that eating (especially fatty foods) can increase the absorption. If you are on the standard 5 daily (or 3 with Herceptin) you are probably wise to follow the manufacturer's instruction given it can cause severe diarrhoea in some. I actually now pay for my Tykerb and only have 2 a day so I have it with breakfast to maximise the absorption.
Good luck, hope it works well,
Trish

KDR 10-19-2011 05:40 PM

Hi,
I take my Tykerb at bedtime.
All my best,
Karen

Vicki revised 03-13-2012 01:50 AM

I changed from night to a new routine a couple wks ago and no more big D! I take it early in am when hubby wakes for work, then i go back to sleep for at least an hour, wake up, eat lightly and all is well.

Rich66 03-25-2012 06:34 PM

"standard 5 daily (or 3 with Herceptin)"

3 with Herceptin? Is that what folks typically take?

Unregistered 03-25-2012 07:23 PM

I'm only taking 2 with Herceptin- 3 made me too sick. Anyone else out there taking Tykerb/Herceptin for stage 1 early breast cancer? My onc says any amount is better than none, better to take what you can handle than take more and have to stop- I had to take a week off when I got a fever and was having very dry eye problems, along with a dry cough.

Unregistered 03-25-2012 07:27 PM

PS- I've tried taking it at different times of day, and bedtime definitely works the best for me.

Rich66 03-25-2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

I got a fever
Really? from Tykerb/Herceptin? Or was a chemo involved?

Unregistered 03-25-2012 09:29 PM

I think it was from the Tykerb- but really, it's hard to say- I wasn't sick- One evening I took my temperature, it was only 99.9, then I Googled, "Tykerb fever"- The results said to call your doctor ASAP-
so I did- and he told me to take a week Holiday from the Tykerb- wish I could tell you more-

Unregistered 03-25-2012 09:31 PM

I forgot to mention, I am not on any other chemo right now- I did take TCH, but that was months ago-

Rich66 03-25-2012 09:44 PM

Thanks. Not to pry but..consider registering so you can more fully contribute here. Pick any old name.

SoCalGal 04-03-2012 12:28 AM

I've been on Tykerb for several years. Best to start slowly. 2 pills a day for 4 days then add one and so on up to 5.
I take 3 per day on empty when I first wake up. Have coffee. Shower etc. and by then the hour has past and I can eat. Been on 3 per day for quite some time. Seems to be a new trend for long use w Herceptin. Otherwise (for me) too much pooperia and I would have to stop. Three a day seems to do the trick without sending me to the potty all day.

qpdawlsmom 08-16-2013 10:45 PM

Thought I would check in and let everyone know how I am doing :) Doctor has allowed me to discontinue tykerb and herceptin after 2 years of treatments. While I am happy not to be taking the meds, I am scared, as this has been the only thing, I think, keeping the her2 at bay. Nervous, and every little pain in my head causes me to immediately think cancer! Will I ever got to the point where I'll just think its a headache? lol. Last pet scan was clear, go back in October for a follow up PET. any comments or suggestions you care to share on your journey after completing tykerb and herceptin treatment? I am thinking my hair will take off and start growing normally, or at least I can hope, lol. I think the tykerb made it extra curly this time around :).

Thank you all for being here, this forum has been a great help and source of information for me over the past 3 years of my cancer fight.

NEDenise 08-17-2013 05:50 AM

Hey!
So glad you're doing well! I think of you often and was starting to wonder whether everything was okay.

Sounds like things are better than okay! Enjoy your newly growing hair, and your blossoming health!
Denise

Jackie07 08-17-2013 11:13 PM

Congratulations!

Obviously your doctor thought it's time to take a break ...

Whether or not the break is going to be a permanent one is hard to predict. It's understandable that you are anxious about the unknown. Just hope time will resolve it all ...

Take it easy - take a deep breath when you feel the anxiety hits.

We are all in this together ...

drakette 08-01-2014 11:46 AM

I take 3/day + Herceptin every 3 weeks. This has been my routine for nearly 5 years. I take 1 in the morning before breakfast and 2 at bedtime. The previous two years I was taking 4/day (never could tolerate 5/day) but I had continued challenges with big D.

drakette 08-01-2014 11:48 AM

I forgot to mention that along with reducing from 4 to 3 per day, I also take a pro-biotic now and that seems to be the magic bullet managing the big D and the associated rashes and discomfort. Good luck!