HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Dental work with a port (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=36125)

'lizbeth 10-15-2008 05:33 PM

Dental work with a port

Hello all,

I thought I read somewhere that if I need dental work done while I had a port that I needed to be on antibiotics. I can't find where I read that.

I even thought I saw a list of dentists that specialized in oncology patients. I need to start looking for a great periodontist.

Do I need to do anything special for a cleaning, have port, but finished with chemo except Herceptin.

Thanks,

'lizbeth

Yorkiegirl 10-15-2008 06:49 PM

I still have my port in and have never had to have any antibiotics to have Dental work done.

grandma2 10-15-2008 06:59 PM

my port was never an issue with dental work. right in the middle now as a matter of fact. my whole life i did take antibiotics for dental work but the amer. college of card. recently changed the criteria and i can't get it. i personally would prefer to get it but because of my medical hx (not bc). but again nothing to do with my port. gm

Ceesun 10-16-2008 07:58 AM

My dentist and oncologist both want me to have antiobiotics for any type of dental work...even while on Herceptin only...who needs more problems?? Ceesun

sarah 10-16-2008 09:52 AM

Hello Ceesun,
What's the logic behind the antibiotics? for what kind of dental work? My father was a doctor and thought antibiotics were over prescribed and should only be used when deathly ill, so I've grown up with a reluctance to take them unless absolutely necessary. So would appreciate more info on this.
thanks
sarah

doh2pa 10-16-2008 01:23 PM

Hi Lizbeth,

I think the main question here is not the port but your white count. With my counts running around 3.0, my onc always prescribes just 600 mg of Clindamycin just one hour before I see the dentist. He says it is probably not needed, but just a precaution.

Hey, and there is an upside - with antibiotics on board I felt "safe" enough to have a pedicure, which I haven't had in 6 months! Heavenly!

Ceesun 10-17-2008 08:51 AM

All I can say here is that both my periodontist a few years back and dentist wanted me to have them....also my oncologist. Avoided major dental work when first on the really rough chemos, but the last time I went, was told to take 4 pills prior to treatment and that was that. I feel all the med pros are just trying to be proactive and not induce infections from dental work---whether that be due to mouth sore concerns or infections in blood stream. Resitance can be low while on chemo. If you have an MD in the family, all the better! Ceesun

Sheila 10-17-2008 09:44 AM

I have always taken antibiotics before ANY dental work, even cleanings due to Mitral Valve Prolapse, they did recently change the dose. When I got my port, both my Oncologist my PCP (and my Dentist) told me to make sure I ALWAYS take them...anything that causes blood/bacteria in the mouth soon finds it way into the bloodstream and attacks the weakest link or foreign object, heart valves, ports etc. I don't need any more problems to deal with, so i always take 4 500mg Amoxicillan 1 hour before....I don't want to worry and end up with problems.

Andrea Barnett Budin 10-17-2008 02:48 PM

Very Important Issue...

I am aware of the recent cardiology change re antibiotics and dental work. HOWEVER -- MY ONCOLOGIST INSISTS THAT WITH A PORT (REGARDLESS OF ALL OTHER FACTORS) I MUST TAKE 4 500 MG AMOXYCILLING 1 HR PRIOR TO ANY DENTAL WORK -- INCLUDING CLEANING.

HE SAYS WITH A PORT YOU HAVE A DIRECT LINE INTO THE BODY/HEART AND YOU MUST PROTECT YOURSELF.

I have been doing this for the last 10 yrs while taking Herceptin. Even though I have recently stopped my Vitamin H, I still have my port. No veins that work. Need reg bld work and ev 6 mnth scans. Go for ev 6 wk port flushes. AND TAKE MY 4 500 MG AMOXICILLIN BEFORE EVERY DENTAL PROCEDURE.
http://cdn-cf.aol.com/se/clip_art/gs...mals-butterfly

Sheila 10-17-2008 03:32 PM

AMEN Andi...our oncologists must be on the same wave length.

'lizbeth 10-18-2008 04:13 PM

Thanks everyone for your comments. I appreciate all the input.

'lizbeth