HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   New cancer found in remaining breast (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=34457)

Val Pfeiffer 06-21-2008 10:03 AM

New cancer found in remaining breast

hey guys--
I know the odds were supposed to be higher that I'd end up with cancer elsewhere in my body than the odds were that I'd find cancer in my remaining breast, but I guess the odds aren't always correct! The good news is that this time it's a very early stage, so when I have the mastectomy this time, I probably won't need to follow up with chemo or radiation. I don't know yet whether it's Her2+ yet, so I'm not sure what I will decide about the quarterly herceptin I've been taking. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

More details are on my blog (including the pathology; see the "All About Me" column at the right of the page)...here's the address to my blog:

http://journals.aol.com/valleygirlvn...CancerUpdates/

Val

dhealey 06-21-2008 10:09 AM

That sucks! But good it was found early. Best of luck with your up coming surgery and praying you have a speedy recovery.

StephN 06-21-2008 11:24 AM

Darn sneaky devil of a disease! Another example of why surveillance is mandatory. All positive thoughts that this is the only site.

Are you sure that surgery is the way to go and not some other treatment?

Will check your blog to see the rest of the story.

Val Pfeiffer 06-21-2008 11:29 AM

Thanks, Steph :-) Once you read the rest of the story, you'll understand why surgery is the only option. In fact, after all the hassle of having the biopsy, I was ready to do this even if the biopsy was negative. Anyway, the cells were found throughout the entire biopsy sample. And besides, a biopsy sample taken from an incredibly small breast leaves it sorta funny looking...so yes, the breast has gotta go!!

Val

tricia keegan 06-21-2008 12:52 PM

Val

Just wanted to tell you I'm sorry you're facing this again although given the choice I suppose if it's going to return it's far preferable in the other breast than elsewhere in the body.
Just wanted to wish you well with the surgery and glad it looks like that's all you have to face this time. (as if that was'nt enough!)

Becky 06-21-2008 06:11 PM

ahh Val. I'm so sorry. Stay strong dear girl. I'm thinking of you. I'm glad you nabbed this one early.

Love and hugs

sassy 06-21-2008 07:38 PM

Val,

Sorry you have to go thru this, but glad that you have found it early. Good for you for being diligent.

Good to hear from you, but sorry this is the reason.

G. Ann 06-22-2008 06:06 PM

Hi Val,
Sorry you're dealing with BC for remaining breast. I totally agree with you about getting the breast removed. Please keep us updated on your surgery and findings. I'll be praying one more surgery and that's it!

kareneg 06-22-2008 06:09 PM

Val,

I am so sorry you have to deal with this again. sending you all my love and prayers

Liz J. 06-22-2008 06:20 PM

Hi Val,

I am sorry that you had to go through this. I am sending all good wishes your way.

Sincerely,

Liz J.

TSund 06-22-2008 08:08 PM

Val,

Tis a drag that you need to hassle with this but I"m glad that the prognosis looks good and you seem to have a great attitude.

Sometime when you have time I'm curious about your quarterly Herceptin; perhpas could you share some info on that when your current stuff is dealt with.

Best to you,

Terri

Val Pfeiffer 06-22-2008 08:22 PM

No magic in the quarterly Herceptin...I just wanted to have something to keep the battle going. It seemed too scary to completely quit :-)

Val

lexigirl 06-22-2008 09:15 PM

Dear Val,

I am sorry that you are facing bc once again. However, I am happy that it was discovered early and that your prognosis will be good.

Hugs and Prayers,
Lexi

jones7676 06-22-2008 09:28 PM

Hi Val,

I'm sorry you have to go through this again...but I'm glad it was caught early.

My wish for you is that you have the strength and the knowledge to face, endure and be rid of those pesky cancer cells.

I hope whatever treatments you choose that they are very successful.

Barb

notamrnpsn 06-23-2008 06:15 AM

Cancer in other breast.

Hey Val, I know exactly how you feel. I just had my second mastectomy on the 19th, came home the 20th. I had ductal cancer in the left breast, but this one was Lobular.
It was very small also ,no node involvement. I see my surgeon tomorrow and my onc. in a couple of weeks to see it I do need any treatment. Keeping my fingers crossed on that one.
It is like getting a punch in the gut when you hear the news, but like true Warrior Women we will get thru it. Hugs and Blessings, Jeanette

MJo 06-23-2008 07:08 AM

I'm sorry you are going through this, too. It could happen to any of us and we all must be vigilant. I think you have made the right decision about the mastectomy. May you have many years of health ahead of you.

Colleens_Husband 06-23-2008 07:54 AM

Val:

I am sorry you have to do this a second time. I can't imagine how tough you will need to be to repeat all the grief of a second go-around.

Val, please know that you are not alone. We are on your side. Our prayers will go out to you and your family.

Lee

michka 06-23-2008 09:50 AM

Val, it gets me upset each time I see that one of us gets hit by this horrible disease. But after going through the heavy treatment once, finding another cancer in the second breast must be so difficult. I read your blog. I understand what you felt about the biopsy. I hope you can give us more news when you will have the final results.
Michka

Jean 06-23-2008 11:04 AM

Dear Val,
I am glad that you maintain good check ups and caught this early. I am very sorry that you have to have surgery. I wish you a speedy recovery - keep that beautiful smile going....

Prayers and best wishes,
Jean

Joan M 06-23-2008 03:45 PM

Val,

Sorry to hear that the cancer has returned in your other breast. I would agree with your decision to have another mastectomy. Glad that you don't have any sign of disease anywhere else.

Joan