HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Released from my Onc. today. (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46439)

Mary Jo 08-19-2010 08:07 PM

Released from my Onc. today.

Hello all......

Just wanted to share my day with you all here. You would understand "my" world and all that goes with that.

I had my 6 month follow up (what I've been doing since I was at 2 years from dx) today and after discussing everything, me and my onc. decided to cut me loose! I reached my 5 year cancerversary this summer. I have a good primary doctor in the city I live in and he is a very thorough doctor who takes my concerns seriously and always follows through with any concerns I have. So, it was decided that I would quit going to see my onc. and see my primary doctor annually, as I do now, for cholesterol, etc.

When he was doing my exam today he asked me if I had any concerns since my last visit. I mentioned to him that I had recurring pain (more like an ache/burning) on my upper right side...some digestion problems and although I felt it was not liver related, felt I would be smart in mentioning it. He agreed and examined the area. He said my liver was not enlarged and told me he felt it sounded more gall bladder related. However, he ordered an ultra-sound that I had this afternoon. THANKFULLY, when the test was over they told me to go back to the clinic to see my onc. (I thought I'd have to wait for results over the weekend - UGH - we all know how awful that is) I thought...uh oh.....could it be.....my liver???? It was NOT!! I have gall stones and he referred me to a surgeon who specializes in laporoscopy removal of the gallbladder. I will speak with him next week.

Imagine, my final exam, and then I have to have a test to see if I have cancer again! Seemed a fitting ending....to a journey that has seemed long and yet in some ways it seems like this all happened to another person, and not me.

Anyway, long story short.....I am well......I no longer have to see an onc. and tonight I sit here with a heart that is thankful for my God helping me through ALL I've been through and for all that I've learned through this journey. Truly, it's been amazing and the blessings far outweigh the negatives.

You all are many of those blessings I received. I thank you for your love and support. My prayers for all of you always.

Mary Jo

vlcarr 08-19-2010 08:22 PM

Re: Released from my Onc. today.

What a beautiful post Mary Jo. So happy for you and wishing you continued NED forever:)

Rich66 08-19-2010 08:36 PM

Congrats! Enjoy the benefits of the big C wake-up call;) And good luck with the surgery. I keep seeing how they are able to do cholycystectomy in ever less invasive ways. I hope if I ever need one they will have advanced it to the point that it's a high tech nose blow.

sassy 08-19-2010 09:45 PM

Big Congrats Mary Jo! Ever closer to NORMAL!

BonnieR 08-19-2010 09:57 PM

I want to be you when I grow up!! We all want to be in your wonderful position! You earned it fair and square.
I had the GB surgery a few years ago. After cancer, it will seem like cake for you.

lexigirl 08-19-2010 10:37 PM

Yay Mary Jo! That is really terrific! I am hopeful that you will NEVER need to see an oncologist again!

Hugs,
Lexi

Jackie07 08-20-2010 02:14 AM

Congratulations! Mary Jo! After all you've been through, the removal of gallbladder is going to be a 'piece of cake'. However, a surgery is a surgery is a surgery. Please keep us posted.

Pam P 08-20-2010 04:40 AM

Mary Jo - Wonderful news reaching this milestone!! Congratulations and good health!

Mary Jo 08-20-2010 07:35 AM

Thank you my friends. I appreciate you all very much!

caya 08-20-2010 09:31 AM

Congrats Mary Jo!!! I also hope you never have to see an oncologist again...

all the best
caya

StephN 08-20-2010 10:05 AM

Yes, fitting that you uncovered an additional problem that is NOT cancer related on your *last* onc appointment. Those odd aches and pains can lead to things like that.

Now you will have it done and over so one less "could it be???" pain to worry about.

Congratulations and keep thinking smart!

ElaineM 08-20-2010 10:45 AM

Thanks for sharing your news. Good luck with the gall bladder problems. Take good care of yourself.

tricia keegan 08-20-2010 02:29 PM

Congrats on the good news MaryJo, I was five years out this summer but my onc said to to make another appt (I just see her once a year in Dec). I think if she cut me loose I'd have similar feelings to how I did when herceptin finished, for a while at least:)

I do recall when I was first diagnosed being told I'd attend the onc until I was five years out, it seemed at the time I'd never get here, so I'm sure I can expect the same news as you when I see her next.

I also had gall stones but they were very inflammed by the time I had my gall bladder removed, my advice is to get this sorted asap as the pain gets a lot worse with most people.

flynny 08-20-2010 04:15 PM

Sounds like a great way to end the continuous journey you have been on! Here's to continued success!

krisvell 08-20-2010 04:30 PM

MaryJo;
Thank you for sharing your terrific news. I am so happy for you. What a great milestone to achieve. You really earned it all the way to the end waiting for your test results. So very glad it was not cancer.

Kris....

Joan M 08-21-2010 03:00 PM

Mary Jo,

It's wonderful that you don't have to see your onc any more, and that you feel your primary care GP is able to handle any concerns you might have in the future. Now that's a really good place to be.

I'm glad your concerns about pain turned out to be your gall bladder. That's a relief.

I'm praying that you'll be NED forever.

Joan

suzan w 08-21-2010 08:21 PM

Yay for you!! My onc also 'set me free' at my last visit 2 weeks ago. Freefalling........and it sure feels good!! XO Suzan

Chelee 08-22-2010 12:09 AM

That's wonderful news Mary Jo. Big congratulations to you. :)

Chelee

ymryan 08-22-2010 08:10 PM

Yay, Mary Jo! I could sense your smile and enthusiam as I read your post. Thank you for such an inspiring post! May the rest of your life be cancer free.

Paty 08-22-2010 09:42 PM

Dear Mary Jo,

I am so happy for you!!! I am glad you will not have to see your onc that often now, that will bring a lot of peace of mind. I had my gallbladder removed because of stones one year ago also by laparoscopy, peace of cake, 2 hours after surgery they put me to walk, and although I had to have a special diet, I did not suffer from any pain at all. I am sure you will be fine. Once again, I rejoice with you with the good news. Sending you a ciber hug.