HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Advise on Tamoxifen use (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30437)

Carolyns 10-09-2007 09:33 AM

Advise on Tamoxifen use

Hi Ladies,

I am starting on Tamoxifen today. I have been on Femara and Faslodex, but never Tamoxifen. I found both drugs easy with the exception of getting UTIs. I need pro-active and positive suggestions on Tamoxifen use. I am most concerned about nausea and weight gain. I would like to hear suggestions on things like - when to take the meds. morning or night. Do I drink more water, eat less...

I would also like to hear from ladies that tolerated Tamoxifen well.

Wish me luck!

Thank you in advance for your words of wisdom!

Carolyn

PinkGirl 10-09-2007 09:54 AM

tamox.

Hi Carolyn - s

I only took it for 4 months but I tolerated it well. One time I accidentally took it on an empty stomach and had mild nausea. I take all my pills after I eat breakfast and didn't have any trouble with the tamox. this way. I had hot flashes from it and mild joint pain but I have worse symptoms on Arimidex.
Can't comment on the weight gain - I have gained tons of weight and don't know the cause of it other than I have a HUGE appetite. Hope this helps.

Becky 10-09-2007 10:19 AM

I took Tamoxifen for 3 months. I took it right before I went to bed (as I do Arimidex now) because the ladies in my local support group said I would have an easier time with hot flashes that way. At the time, I became an avid walker so I did not gain weight and actually lost 7 lbs during that time as it was when all really active treatment was over (chemo and rads as I am a late Herceptin person) and started to exercise alot then. I did have the rarer side effect of not being able to focus my eyes well. The biggest side effects to watch out for is the potential of uterine lining thickening and blood clots in the calves (or calf pain).

Good luck with it.

madubois63 10-09-2007 10:40 AM

I took tamoxifen for 4 1/2 years. I was 36 when I started, and this was my first experience with hormonal changes. I did get hot flashes, but they did diminish over time. I also became very depressed and suicidal, but again this was my first big change in my hormonal levels. Zoloft stopped all the negative feelings pretty quickly. I gained weight from all the chemo and pre-meds, not the tamoxifen: but, I could not loose any weight no matter what I did thereafter. I took my meds at night, and had no problems.

fauxgypsy 10-12-2007 08:00 PM

I started tamoxifen tonight. I spoke with my oncologist's nurse today about whether I should wait until I see the new oncologist but he was very insistent that I get started on it so I am. I am getting my records sent to UT Memphis Cancer Institute and I am nervous about the change but I think it will be for the best. Carolyn, how are you doing? Hope it works well for you.

Leslie

StillHere 10-12-2007 08:36 PM

Carolyn, I am curious as to why you are changing from an AI to Tamoxifen? You seem to have tolerated the AI's
I was on Arimidex for 2 mos. Stopped Arimidex and started Tamoxifen for 1 1/2 yrs. Just started Femera w/ Estrace cream this week. Will keep you updated on my end. Hope you will do the same. Thanks Karen

fauxgypsy 10-13-2007 02:19 PM

I started the tamoxifen last night. This afternoon I felt like I had run into a wall and slid down it. I took a nap which is seriously unusual for me. I could barely wake up when my daughter came by. I don't know if it is thetamoxifen but I am still logy. I hope this doesn't happen often.
Leslie

Les 10-13-2007 06:20 PM

Hi Leslie, I'm a Leslie ie too. I have been on tamoxifen for 31/2 years, I have tolerated it very well.I take it at night and have never had any nausea. I have had hot flashes but they are getting better,I was on paxil and read that tamoxifen was not as effective I think that this was true for me because my estrogen # was over 200 and after stopping the paxil it dropped to 28 and I have not had a period since Feb 07 so I think that I would rather deal with hot flashes.goodluck leslie

Carolyns 10-13-2007 07:47 PM

Thanks for the words of wisdom. I am doing fine so far. I started Tuesday night and take the Tamox at dinner time.

Karen, As far as why is switched to Tamox? I am a mets girl and have gotten the extent of my benefit from Femara and Faslodex. We are giving this a try to see how much more time we can buy before I go back to chemo.

Again, thanks to all for the tips. It really helps so much to hear from you all.

Love, Hope, Peace,

Carolyns

mke 10-13-2007 11:35 PM

I took tamixofen for 5 years from about 52 to 57 years of age. I don't remember what time of day I took it, probably in the morning with breakfast. I did gain a bit of weight, but I don't know that I can blame it on the tamoxifen as there were other things that could have been factors. I really didn't have significant any side effects at all.

Gloria 04-28-2024 10:24 AM

Re: Advise on Tamoxifen use

Did you have any issues with endometriosis

Nguyen 05-03-2024 07:04 PM

Re: Advise on Tamoxifen use

"...Tamoxifen, a hormonal therapy, stimulates the growth of endometrial cells. This can cause endometriosis and also can increase the risk of endometrial cancer. Tamoxifen also can cause uneven thickening of the muscle and supportive tissues within the wall of the uterus...."

https://www.breastcancer.org/treatme.../endometriosis