HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Recurrence (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=67303)

ginnyg898 08-08-2018 03:05 PM

Recurrence

I am back after nearly 8 years NED. Routine mammogram indicated a new tumor that has been missed as it has been buried in scar tissue from lumpectomy. New tumor same profile as before. Had TCH back in 2010; new Onc wants to add Perjeta this time. Looking at new-adjuvant chemo, then mastectomy. Waiting on genetic testing to determine if I lose just my right breast or both.
Been a complete wreck since I found out last week. Chemo last time was brutal. Still in the discovery stage and trying to come to grips with the treatment ahead of me.
This site was so helpful last time I went thru this; not actually glad to be back, but comforting to come back to a supportive environment.
Would love to hear from those that have been thru a recurrence and hear about your experience.

Laurel 08-08-2018 04:32 PM

Re: Recurrence

Hey there, Ginny!

I am so sorry you are back among us. There are several of our Her2Support family who are experiencing recurrences presently so just take a look at recent threads. I am sure others will chime in soon. Let us know your plan when you get one.

SoCalGal 08-08-2018 09:11 PM

Hi and sorry you are back. I'm not that well versed in recurrence but just off the top of my head I'd say get at least one second opinion. Hang in there, fear is the monster! I'm 22 years from my original diagnosis and 11 years MBC trying to get on a clinical trial I like.
-socalgal

jaykay 08-09-2018 05:29 PM

Hi Ginny, sorry to hear of your recurrence. I recurred after 12 years and even though it was considered a new primary because it was in the other breast, it was the exact same pathology as the original diagnosis.

I never had chemo or herceptin the first time around so I can’t relate to the physical angst of going through chemo again. But I can relate to the emotional feelings. Details are in my signature. Hang in there, you’re stronger than the cancer. Feel free to reach out via private message.

Janis

tricia keegan 08-12-2018 12:49 PM

Hi Ginny, I also am so sorry you're dealing with this again and hope any treatment will be minimal. I have a few friends who are all doing great having had to go through this twice so try to remain positive.

Laurel 08-22-2018 06:31 PM

Hi Ginny!

Just checking in to hear how things are going and whether you have a treatment plan yet? Hoping and praying you are moving forward with a plan and feeling less fearful and stressed. We are thinking of you!

Laurel

ginnyg898 08-23-2018 10:52 AM

Hello All:

Thank you so much for the kind responses. The past 3 weeks have been tough but, as I told my husband, I have moved on from the 'grief and shock' stage into the 'lets get this over with' stage.

Genetic testing indicated that I don't have a tendency towards other cancers, so I will have a right mastectomy and keep my left. I will take whatever victories I can get at this point ;)

My Onc spoke with both my previous Onc at UCLA and with the team at UCSF and the determination was made that we would do Gemzar, Caboplatin, Herceptin and Perjeta this time. Meeting with my Onc today and curious why that cocktail was chosen. I had Carbo and Herceptin previously...not sure what to expect as far as side effects for Gemzar and Perjeta. I will also be on weekly chemo. After 4-6 months of chemo I will have the mastectomy, then reconstruction. No radiation this time as I had it before.

I start chemo tomorrow. My kids were babies when I was going through treatment before and now are 11 and 9. We have been trying to prepare them for what the next year is going to entail, which is challenging in itself.

For those of you that have read my previous posts from 2010/2011, you know that my previous employer (aka Evil Lady Boss from Hell :)) fired me after I shared my diagnosis. When I told my current employer, they could not have been nicer or more supportive. This was a revelation

I would love to hear from those that have had Gemzar as to what their experience was. Taxol wiped me out, but I am told that Gemzar can be milder...again, little victories :)

Ginny

Laurel 08-23-2018 03:29 PM

Ginny,

I am sorry you are having to do chemo again, but admire your gutsy attitude! There were a number of this group who have had Gemzar, so hopefully they will chime in soon. Glad you had a good experience with your present boss. Kindness and compassion can sure warm the heart, can't it? Please let us know how your first infusion goes when you feel up to it. I will be thinking of you tomorrow!

Carol Ann 08-23-2018 06:44 PM

Hi Ginny,

I am so sorry you have to go through this again. Hoping for minimal side effects from the chemo tomorrow. So glad your boss is alot more compassionate and a better human being this time around, that helps!!

Carol Ann

Donna H 08-27-2018 11:09 AM

What is it with crappy bosses?? After my DX, my boss (at the time) asked me what it felt like to have my "perfect life" messed up. He then proceeded to tell me about all the people he knew who had cancer and died. He was a PEACH! On the positive side, there are great new treatments for cancer. Unfortunately there are no known cures for being an ass! I am very glad you have a different boss now and that you have a plan in place to beat the recurrence.