HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   NED as of Yesterday (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52517)

choyces 12-13-2011 07:08 PM

NED as of Yesterday

I am 50 and was diagnosed July 2011 with HER2 pos. with mets in the lungs and 3 large tumors in the right breast and cancer in the lymph in my neck. My treatment began 8/15 and included paclitaxel, herceptin and tykerb. Yesterday my oncologist said, "We have complete response to treatment." I now continue with herceptin and I am being sent to Dr. Disis in Seattle for the vaccine trial. I did have some rough moments on the tykerb but went to the accupuncturist/Chinese herbalist who made a tea. My supplements kept my blood cells in the normal range throughout treatment. My liver went a little out of whack but within the limits for continued treatment. I feel totally blessed as my insurance actually paid for the tykerb.

hestko76 12-13-2011 07:26 PM

Re: NED as of Yesterday

That's wonderful new, choyces! I'm just beginning this journey, and I hope I have a complete response to my treatment, too.

StephN 12-13-2011 07:34 PM

Hello Choyces -
Which vaccine are you doing? I am currently taking the vaccine with Ampligen immune booster.

When you come to Seattle maybe we could get together, since I live there.

Congrats on the great news!

karen z 12-13-2011 11:20 PM

Wonderful to hear your news. I hope you can meet up with Steph in Seattle. That would be great !

choyces 12-14-2011 12:08 AM

Thank you for your kind words. Is Steph in Seattle on this site? Is she in the vaccine trial? I will look.

choyces 12-14-2011 12:12 AM

Hi Steph, I am not in the trial yet but my oncologist, is talking to Dr. Disis. She was up her at Skagit a couple of weeks ago. I'm waiting for my appointment. I'm really excited. I would love to hear all about your experience. I'm on San Juan Island but have family in Tacoma and Seattle

choyces 12-14-2011 12:25 AM

Hi Hestko76,
I hope you have a complete response too! I know that I have been very lucky and blessed and I wish this for everyone. One think I know that really helped me was to walk and swim as much as I could.

Jackie07 12-14-2011 02:55 AM

Congratulations!

Yes, exercise does wonders...

suzan w 12-15-2011 08:33 AM

That is great news! I had my treatments in Seattle too. I travel and move around a lot...and talk to many many cancer survivors and I am so thankful that I was in the Seattle area...seems like treatments I had years ago are just surfacing in other areas of the country!!!

Unregistered 12-15-2011 08:47 AM

Congratulations, Choyces! That is a phenomenal response!

I am so curious about one thing. The combination of Herceptin, Tykerb and paclitaxel seems like an unique choice for 1st-line treatment? Was this your 1st-line therapy? And, if so, was this your doctor's decision or a clinical trial arm?

Again, Congratulations!!

choyces 12-15-2011 01:39 PM

This was my doctors recommendation and I agreed. I was not in a clinical trial. My insurance agreed to pay for the tykerb. From what I had seen in the research this seemed to be the best, most successful approach.

choyces 12-15-2011 01:40 PM

Yes, this was my 1st line of therapy.

KDR 12-15-2011 06:43 PM

Choyces
I am so happy for you! You shine another light for us! Good luck with qualification for the vaccine. I have heard nothing but good about Mary "Nora" Disis. They have had some amazing results to date. Stay well and cancer-free,
Karen