HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Herceptin / Tykerb (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Tykerb and weight gain (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52804)

pibikay 01-08-2012 04:40 AM

Tykerb and weight gain

Is it correct to persume that tykerb makes one gain weight? Hema hsa gained weight and her onc said that it is due to tykerb.Experience of other members with tykerb on this aspect is welcome

KDR 01-10-2012 06:10 PM

Re: Tykerb and weight gain

Hello, Pibikay,
I did not gain on Tykerb, in fact, the Tykerb, Herceptin/Xeloda regimen worked opposite on me. I also have become very careful of everything I eat, cutting out all fats, processed foods, sweets, and the like. I found that eating nuts when I had cravings satisfied me, so I carry a bag of sunflower seeds or almonds.
Wishing you and Hema a happy and healthy 2012.
As always,
Karen

Nancy L 01-12-2012 02:42 PM

I have also lost weight on Tykerb---about 10 lbs.

bevilj 02-01-2012 10:47 AM

I've only been on Tykerb for ~2 mos. now (also Xeloda, Herceptin and Zometa) and have not experienced weight gain. Just the opposite actually. Due to the side effects I keep losing weight. Over 6 weeks I lost 10 lbs. I have heard that some do gain however.

ElaineM 02-01-2012 11:01 AM

Have Hema's appetite or eating habits changed since she started taking Tykerb? It could be that her body metabolizes food or digests food at a different rate or digests food differently with Tykerb. It could be a drug/food interaction thing. Some drugs interact with foods differently than other drugs do.
Blessings of peace and good health to both you and Hema in 2012 and beyond.

Rich66 02-02-2012 05:13 PM

Has activity level been the same? Might have her A1C levels checked.

Basilic 04-15-2012 02:34 PM

I am on Tykerb/Herceptin combo for neo-adjuvent therapy. I have gained several pounds since starting treatment, but recently discovered that my TSH was very elevated. I think that the Tykerb might have been blocking some of my levoxyl as I was taking them together on an empty stomach. My endocrinologist agreed with me and we raised my levoxyl up a little to counteract it. Not even 3 weeks into the adjustment, my weight was down for the first time since January. Also my fatigue wasn't as pronounced. I had been blaiming everything on the treatment, but more likely it was low functioning thyroid in my case.

Damienpatricia67 12-17-2015 03:34 PM

I have gained 40 pounds since I started treatment.Some of it was do to prednisone. I have cravings of foods that I never had before though.I was 127 when I was diagnosed in 2012 and gained 40 pounds in three month.I then lost 10 and gained 30 and pretty much have maintained my 167 since 2013.My cholesterol is up and I have trouble carrying my weight.Do t

Do to a flap I can't exercise, plus I now have breast cancer in the bone and I quit my job.I have become sedative.There are a lot of factors.Thanks, Patricia