HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Had my 1st infusion... (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=42351)

Chelee 12-09-2009 12:44 AM

Had my 1st infusion...

of Navelbine Monday. I had my chemo canceled 3 times since Sept...I never thought I was going to start. But my onc almost canceled my chemo again. Since I had the femur surgery the incision is healed up nicely but there is one open "hole" from where the "JP" drain was. It's an open wound and she is concerned it won't heal once I start Navy Beans. But I can't keep putting off chemo! This is ridiculous.

She wanted to wait till that healed up bit but said if I wanted to start she would ok it. I said it's been over 70 days since I was told I recurred and I WANT to start now. She said fine...and said she would keep an eye on that wound and if need be put me on anti-biotics if it starts to look bad.

I only did a wkly dose of Navy Beans to start. I know its hard on counts so want to make sure I don't end up in the hospital like the first time I did chemo. So far just major constipation, and I have had a super red face that's been hot to touch all day. But they did give me decadron in the IV so maybe that is lingering today? Also a little tired but that was to be expected. Haven't really had nausea...so that's good so far.

Chelee

Ellie F 12-09-2009 04:20 AM

Re: Had my 1st infusion...

Hi Chelee
The red face again,drat. maybe it was the decadron all along. Hope it settles soon. Glad you have started your chemo, it's been a long slog to get it.I am thinking of you and hoping that it does the job and quickly gets you in remission again.
Ellie

Carolyns 12-09-2009 07:43 AM

Hi Chelee,

Well, I am going to say it sounds like so far so good. I hope that you keep a box of prunes near by that constipation can really be bad.

I hope that Navy Bean really does the job for you and that your leg heals quickly.

Sincerely, Carolyn

MJo 12-09-2009 07:43 AM

My first thought was the same as Elie's -- the Red Face again. How well I remember thinking I looked like an Australian life guard! Take care of yourself Chelee and a quick remisison for you. Keep chronicaling your experiences for us.

caya 12-09-2009 08:12 AM

Glad you got started Chelee. Hoping for a complete and speedy recovery for you.

all the best
caya

Sheila 12-09-2009 08:28 AM

Chelee
Glad to hear there were no problems with the navy Beans....I did not take Decadron with it and did fine, see if you can take it without!!!
Hope we get some good info for you here in San Antonio

Mary Anne in TX 12-09-2009 08:38 AM

Hey Navy Bean Girl! You're doing it!
So glad you got it started. I didn't do anything with the herceptin and navelbine either and it made it so much easier. Maybe you could ask.
ma

Shobha 12-09-2009 09:09 AM

Good to hear you got your first infusion, Chelee! Wishing you speedy recovery and back to NED status soon!

hugs,
shobha

schoolteacher 12-09-2009 10:36 AM

Chelee,

Glad your operation incision has healed up, except for where the drain was. Hopeful, taking the navy beans on a weekly basis will allow this to heal. Glad you got to do your lst infusion.

Amelia

ElaineM 12-09-2009 11:32 AM

Congratulations on finally getting started with your treatment !!!!!!!! I am very happy about that.
I took Herceptin and Navelbine every week while I was healing from the hip surgery. I even had stitches and staples halfway down my leg the first two weeks and a hole near my new hip from the drain. No problems !! I didn't take premeds either.
The Decadron might be causing the constipation and flushed face. You can probably find a list of Decadron side effects on the internet. I usually try www.thedrugname.com first and then go to the well known sites about chemo if I don't find what I am looking for by typing the drug name plus the www. prefix and the com suffix.
We are all looking forward to the news from San Antonio to find out what the latest information is about breast cancer.

Rich66 12-09-2009 11:54 AM

I agree with Sheila. Almost no one here on the board had premeds with Navelbine. My understanding is that it has no benefit in terms of wbc counts. If you want to be really proactive in preventing Vomiting/Nausea, there are non-steroidal alternatives and there seems to be a possibility Dex/Decadron could hamper the chemo:
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41877

You might investigate ways to get the infusion in the evening:
http://jpet.aspetjournals.org/cgi/reprint/289/1/231.pdf
Some hospitals can administer chemo on a hospital floor or in ER for after hour needs.

There may not be any advantage beyond convenience to going to a 2 or 3 week schedule. Plenty of suggestion that less more often has benefits in terms of toxicity/tolerance and often efficacy:
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=24729

lexigirl 12-09-2009 03:14 PM

Hi Chelee,

I am happy that you got through your 1st infusion fine!! You are on your way to killing the nasty ca. I hope that each tx goes smoothly and your se's will be minimal.

Hugs and Prayers,
Lexi

tricia keegan 12-09-2009 04:56 PM

So glad you finally got started Chelee, and hope you have a great response:)

WomanofSteel 12-09-2009 05:42 PM

I did not have premeds with the navelbine either. Good luck to you with this treatment and stay ahead of the constipation coz it is bad.

alicem 12-09-2009 10:03 PM

I am so glad that you finally got your chemo treatments underway. I hope all continues to go well.

Jackie07 12-09-2009 10:10 PM

Chelee,

Hope the treatment will do its trick and won't interfere with the healing.

Yes, sometimes we just have to hold our grounds. I remember the horror of waiting for my mastectomy. Had I allowed them to delay my surgery, my right pectoralis (chest muscle connected to the arm) could have gotten cut and caused paralysis of my right arm.

Instead, an oncologist friend helped me to move it up 5 days and I had a margin of 0.5 mm (hair-thin)

There might be some tough days ahead (wound healing, etc.) Please know that you are in our prayers...

Jean 12-09-2009 11:13 PM

Chelee,
Well Finally! Great news to read :)
You have been so ready. Sending you best best wishes for a fast response to those nasty cells. Slap them down and out.

If you visit a health store there is a tea that I buy which helps keep you normal. It is called Dieters Tea (strangly enough) but it works. If you can't find it let me know.

Big Strong Hug being sent!
Jean

Believe51 12-10-2009 03:24 PM

Loving you and holding you close, hope you can feel it Love!

Ruth 12-10-2009 06:17 PM

Hi Chelee ~ I'm glad you finally got to start your treatment. I hope it goes well for you and you don't have too many side effects. Been thinking about you and hoping you were healing well from the surgery.
Lots of love & hugs ~ Ruth

Lien 12-11-2009 06:47 AM

Good! I'm glad. Now may that hole heal, may the Navy Beans kick butt and may you feel better soon. Tell that onc of yours that there's no stopping you and that she'd better do her homework or else... You've got all of us behind you and together we are going to beat this recurrence. Right? Right!

Love ya

Jacqueline