HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   What should ER+/PR- breast cancer patients/survivors eat? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46896)

bejuce 09-28-2010 03:23 PM

What should ER+/PR- breast cancer patients/survivors eat?

Hi everyone,

I just found this link and thought I would pass it along. The link gives specific guidelines on what foods to avoid and which ones to eat when you are ER+/PR-.

The link also provides references to studies that showed significant associations between carbohydrate intake, glycemic index and glycemic load and higher risk of ER+/PR- breast cancer. The link also states that ER+/PR- breast cancer patients may be more likely than ER+/PR+ patients to benefit from epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) inhibitors.

Sounds like those of us that are ER+/PR- may have additional (i.e. nutritional) tools at our disposal to reduce our odds of recurrence.

Becky 09-28-2010 06:39 PM

Re: What should ER+/PR- breast cancer patients/survivors eat?

I am also Er+ and PR-. I try to eat right (like on the list) but do eat treats when appropriate.

Remember that this article is saying that if you are ER+ but PR-, something else is also driving your cancer. In our case, that is most likely Her2. EGFR is also know as Her1. We all could be Her1+ too but there is more to worry about if you are ER+PR- but NOT Her2+ because it opens the door on what else you are positive for (because ER likes another partner to play with while Her2 will play with anyone, even itself:)

The list is a good one but is really saying "eat a plant based diet - lots of veggies etc". Stay clear of white foods and sweets.

Rich66 09-28-2010 06:59 PM

The article makes a good point about the variability between primary and mets. Same for Her2. It is a bit frustrating to keep seeing soy products for ER+ when in ER+/Her2+ soy may still be a problem.
Seems like sugar/starches, meats, dairy and soy are, given uknown drivers at any given time, in the risk category. Along with coffee (ducks)

joletta 09-28-2010 08:11 PM

Great article bejuice.
Does anyone know of any specific type of food to keep the Her2 from not recurring or any supplement(s), vitamin that may help with that. Does her2 have anything to do w/the foods that we eat?
Joletta

ElaineM 09-28-2010 08:41 PM

Thanks for the article. Whatever we learn to help ourselves is a plus. I posted some information and links in the nutrition forum. One post is about foods that have some aromatase inhibiting or estrogen blocking properties. The other post is about foods that are anti angiogenesis. There are several other articles in the nutrition forum that might interest you.

harrie 09-29-2010 12:39 AM

Do not overdo the soy products.