HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   ALIVE AT 5 stage IV and NED (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47792)

Sherryg683 12-02-2010 01:35 AM

ALIVE AT 5 stage IV and NED

Five years ago..Dec 1, I was diagnosed stage IV with lung mets. I was told that 5 year survival rate was 19%. I remember the fear, asking my doctor will I survive 6 months, a year, a year and a half. He couldn't really give me any answers. Not only can I say that I am ALIVE, but I have been NED since completion of first rounds of chemo and radiation. I remain on Herceptin indefinately. In these 5 years I've had some hard times, watched my brother and friends die of cancer, had some fearful times...many of those, and had happy times..seeing my little girl grow up to be a tweenager and finally getting to feeling like my old self again. Just wanted to share that I'M ALIVE AT FIVE AND FEELING GOOD! Now, on till next month when I get my 6 months scans again....Hope i'm not like one of those TV's that go out as soon as the warranty is over...lol....there go the fears again....do they ever really end.

Chelee 12-02-2010 03:05 AM

Re: ALIVE AT 5 stage IV and NED

Sherry,
Big Congratulations on being 5 yrs out and NED. Woo hoo! :) It's posts like yours that are so encouraging and give so many of the newly dx & others so much hope. After you have next months scan and you get the all clear (and you will...I have esp) ;) you can bring in the New Year just right.

Chelee

Ellie F 12-02-2010 05:19 AM

Sherry
You give us soooo much hope.Congratulations you are a brilliant inspiration!

Ellie

KitCat 12-02-2010 07:07 AM

That is wonderful news Sherry! Here is to many, many, years with NED!!! You are a true inspiration!

Hugs Cathy xox

Nancy L 12-02-2010 08:33 AM

Inspiring story and you certainly look like you are feeling well. I have a friend who is Stage IV (bone mets) and has been NED on Herceptin for over ten years doing well. It will be wonderful when they figure out why it works for some and not for others. Herceptin alone did not keep my BC in remission but I am NED for two years on Herceptin/Tykerb.

KDR 12-02-2010 08:43 AM

Sherry,
Congratulations! You are an inspiration to us all. Thank you for posting this, to show that it CAN be done. Look at you! You look amazing!
You're right, the haunting never ends. Yesterday, I drove past the hospital where my daughter was born seven years ago and I fell apart. The constant question: how will it really go for me? The other constant: fear of scans, the other: fear of every single lump and pain we feel.
I'm sorry that you've lost your brother (and many friends). Keep going, you're carrying the torch.
Love

Mary L 12-02-2010 08:48 AM

Congratulations!!!!I am so happy Herceptin worked for you. It worked well for me. Have a wonderful Holiday Season. Mary L

Delaney 12-02-2010 09:53 AM

Sherry, congratulations and thank you for your uplifting post. Very best wishes and heres hoping you stay NED forever.

LoisLane 12-02-2010 10:00 AM

Hi Sherry Wonderful positive news. You give us all strength and hope to live life to the fullest and carry on, sometimes smooth sailing and sometimes the perfect storm but you keep fighting. Yahoo to you. Bye the way if anyone can help tell me how the heck to get a picture on my profile. I went to photos and albums and was totally mixed up. I do have a photo on my facebook page that I was going to put on the Her2 profile but have no idea what to do. Thanks.

ymryan 12-02-2010 10:24 AM

Congratulations to you! Thanks so much for your inspirational post!

ElaineM 12-02-2010 10:51 AM

Congratulations !! Thanks for sharing your experience with us. You give others hope. Have a wonderful holiday season. Enjoy whichever holidays you celebrate.

Lien 12-02-2010 12:43 PM

Congratulations! May those pesky cancer cells have given up the ghost for ever and ever. On to the 10 year mark. And then 15, 20, 30, 40, 50... until you've had enough.

Love

Jacqueline

janieR 12-02-2010 12:44 PM

Sherry,

Really lovely news.

janie

caya 12-02-2010 12:51 PM

Big Congrats to you Sherry!! Wishing you many many more NED years!!

all the best
caya

KDR 12-02-2010 01:50 PM

LoisLane, you have to go to Edit Avatar. I had the same problem. Add your picture from there. It might even say it failed, but it really didn't. Try that.
Karen

Mary Jo 12-02-2010 02:13 PM

SUPER DUPER AWESOME.

:-)

Mary Jo

Sandra in GA 12-02-2010 02:50 PM

Sherry,
I am so happy for you. You are such an inspiration for me. Isn't it amazing how life just goes marching on?

Thanks for posting this milestone.
Sandra

CourtneyL 12-02-2010 03:00 PM

Beautiful news from a beautiful lady! Thanks for sharing, doll. You give us all such hope and inspiration. It can be done!

Jackie07 12-02-2010 03:45 PM

Congratulations!

Becky 12-02-2010 03:52 PM

Dear Sherry

You have been a constant companion on this board the whole time, giving encouragement and support to others. You are showing everyone exactly how its done - living, learning. Especially the living (and that tennis article which was amazing)! Bully for you Sherry. This is a wonderful milestone and you worked hard to achieve it.