HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   LVEF false Readings & Protecting your heart New Info (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55057)

Sheila 07-10-2012 12:13 PM

LVEF false Readings & Protecting your heart New Info

After seeing the cardiologist today in Chicago, I found out that most cardiologists do not rely on LVEF readings from Muga Scans, and prefer a trans thoracic echocardiogram for accuracy. Seems the Muga requirement was a past Practice from ECOG.. And results show that the echo is more accurate depending on the uptake of the tagging isotopes used in the Muga. This explains my Muga (with poor outlines of the heart visualized) being a 19 score whereas my trans thoracic echo with contrast injected showed a LVEF of 40-45%...substantial difference.

Also, cardiologists have found that prescribing Coreg(carvedilol) a beta blocker, BEFORE and during the administration of cardio toxic drugs such as Herceptin, Pertuzamab, Anthracyclines etc, can protect the heart from ever being damaged from these drugs. They are attempting to spread the word to oncologists to initiate this regimen on patients who will be at risk.

JennyB 07-10-2012 08:40 PM

Re: LVEF false Readings & Protecting your heart New Info

Sheila thats fantastic news about your LVEF and thank you for the info re te beta blockers - I struggled towards the end of my year with herceptin so may need some help if I ever need it again.

Hope the Perjeta is working for you

Jenny

SherO 07-10-2012 09:47 PM

Thanks Sheila for this information about Coreg. I am going to ask my onc about it. I'm on herceptin now for a local recurrence.
Previously I was denied herceptin because my LVEF went down to 30 after chemo with adriamycin. This was LVEF on both Muga and echo.
Currently I am monitored every three months on herceptin by Muga only. I'm staying in the 40s, fortunately. I'm having chest wall rads on left side too.
I hope you are well....
Sheree
P.s. I'm new to this site so have not posted my data or figured it out!
I'm in la grange, Illinois.

Ellie F 07-11-2012 03:14 AM

Thanks Sheila for posting. This is very good news for the future and those struggling with low readings
Ellie

tricia keegan 07-11-2012 11:28 AM

Thanks for that info Sheila and will pass it on to a friend on Herceptin right now:)

karen z 07-11-2012 12:07 PM

Thanks very much for this important post.
Take good care ! ! !

hutchibk 07-11-2012 03:49 PM

Coreg (Beta blocker) is GREAT for those who can take it. I can't take it because I have naturally low blood pressure and we with low BP are not allowed to take a Beta blocker... often Lisinopril (ACE inhibitor) is also prescribed with Coreg. I can take Lisinopril. I now get an Echo. My cardiologist prefers that.

Oh, and Yay!