HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Olive Oil (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32374)

Mary Jo 01-26-2008 07:49 PM

Olive Oil

Hello Her2 Friends,

I know many of you take olive oil straight from the bottle. On a tablespoon, everyday. Can you mix it with something to drink, QUICKLY or does that taste even worse. I've tried taking the olive oil straight from the bottle but EWWWWWWWWWWWW it's SOOOOOOO hard to swallow. Literally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've tried the salad dressing options as well and didn't like that either. I think I'd rather just down it quickly and get it over with.

Advice......................PLEASE.

Mary Jo

Lolly 01-26-2008 10:24 PM

Mary Jo, I think someone here (can't remember who) has talked about mixing it with some cottage cheese, and you could put some peaches or strawberries on top of the whole thing to make it even yummier!

<3 Lolly

Jean 01-26-2008 10:51 PM

Okay Mary Jo,
try this, the old fashioned Italian way..
Pour your olive oil into a dish, add Fresh Rosemary, then have some
frsh baked whole grain or multi grain Italian bread, dip the bread in
and enjoy. I like to bake the bread in the oven and serve it warm and
crusty.

Another way to enjoy your olive oil, pour it over fresh steamed broccoli
with fresh garlic, and squeese some lemmon juice over the broccoli.

Regards,
jean

Carol Carlson 01-26-2008 11:50 PM

Try using the olive oil with some other type of salad dressing like italian, etc.... mix the two together and pour it over a salad.. tastes pretty good.

taken by itself sounds pretty gross
Carol

BonnieR 01-27-2008 12:20 AM

well if you are going to sop it up with bread, I would add some balsamic vinegar along with that rosemary.....yum!!!

Barbara H. 01-27-2008 07:52 AM

Olive oil is like wine. You have to try a lot of them before you will find one that you like. I now use it in cooking all the time. I would never just eat it as medicine. I happen to like L'ESTORNELL extra virgin olive oil. It is organic and you can buy it at Whole Foods.
Good luck,
Barbara H.

Melissa 01-27-2008 07:59 AM

do I love this site

Do I Love This Site...yes I Do!
Best Of Health, Melissa

Mgarr 01-27-2008 08:10 AM

Mary Jo,

I mix it in a smoothie or I just add it to my salad greens even better try 1-2 tsp. of Carlson lemon flavored fish oil, its much more pleasant.

Good Luck

Mary

PinkGirl 01-27-2008 08:49 AM

Hi Marejo

I agree with you that olive oil must be an acquired taste. I can't handle drinking it straight, although many do.

I use it instead of butter on my toast. Then I sprinkle some spice or sometimes grated Parmesan cheese on top. I actually like the taste of it this way.

Malena 01-27-2008 09:34 AM

Yes, olive oil alone in a tablespoon I think it is hard to swallow!!!!
I think it is better just to put the olive oil on a green salad in the italian way; in this way you take the oil and also salad that is good for our health!!).
Another thing: there are different kind of olive oil, the best is Extra virgin olive oil, don't take a normal olive oil!

Mary Anne in TX 01-27-2008 09:40 AM

I'm a bread dipper, myself! Haven't met a warm toasty, crunchy bread I couldn't introduce to olive oil!!! And adding all the extra good stuff to it first is super! I found a garlic bread that just leaps for the olive oil straight from the toaster! Happy dippin'.

AlaskaAngel 01-27-2008 01:54 PM

Whole-grain bread

The only starch in my diet (other than whatever is in one square of dark chocolate a day) is 2 slices of wafer-thin whole grain bread anointed with olive oil followed by garlic salt. I have noticed that it seems to improve my disposition, too.... perhaps it is my streak of Italian genetics?

A.A.

chrisy 01-27-2008 04:20 PM

OK you guys are making me hungry!!!!!

Bill 01-27-2008 04:26 PM

Yeah, they got me, too. Chrisy! Running for the toaster and the olive oil.

harrie 01-27-2008 09:39 PM

Marejo, I make my own salad dressing: EVOO, red wine vinegar, bit of sugar, salt pepper, and djon mustard. Shake it up and it is good on salads.
I would never want to just take a straight teaspoon of OO. Gross....

Vic 04-21-2009 04:34 PM

What is EVOO?

I was looking for olive oil entries based on Joe's note to me and came across this. What does that mean? I know this is an old post.

Thanks,

Vicki

Mary Anne in TX 04-21-2009 04:52 PM

Extra Virgin Olive Oil!
I saw this topic Mary Jo and I can't stop smiling!!! All I can see in my mind's eye is Popeye's Olive Oil. I see the picture of that skinny body and all her antics and it makes me smile!
I've been putting olive oil in about everything...eggs, pancakes, beans, now we really like it and miss it if I forget!
Smiles to everyone. ma

Laurel 04-21-2009 05:21 PM

Mary Jo,

I like EVOO straight from the bottle. Organic, of course! I also take olive oil gel caps. I buy mine from Swanson Vitamins, www.SwansonVitamins.com. They are convenient, odorless, and do not regurgitate on you. It is easy. non-messy, and portable. They are not particularly expensive either.

Mary Jo 04-21-2009 06:20 PM

Thanks Laurel for the "Swanson" link. I just ordered my turmeric from their. Buy 1 get 1 free and the
"Swanson" company also got very good ratings. Thank you.

Mary Jo

ElaineM 04-21-2009 09:24 PM

Olive Oil

How about putting a little olive oil in spaghetti sauce towards the end of cooking or taking some nice crusty bread and sprinkling olive oil, tomatoes, and green spices (orgegano, basil, parsley etc.) and toasting the whole thing in a toaster oven or regular oven?