HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   schlerotic lesion? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59812)

fauxgypsy 12-17-2013 06:47 PM

schlerotic lesion?

In an xray for something else (possible neurodegenerative disc disease) they found a lesion on my humerus. My oncologist has scheduled an MRI for the 26th. I was wandering if there would be any harm in rescheduling it until after the first of the year. From past experience I have an idea that most of the docs won't be in until after the first. Obviously I want to know yesterday but the timing is not good. I know nothing about bone metastases but I wouldn't think a week would make a difference. Any ideas?

JennyB 12-17-2013 08:18 PM

Re: schlerotic lesion?

Hi Gypsy,

I don't really know much about bone mets but agree with your rationale about doctors and holiday period. If it is going to ruin your plans for the festive season then postpone a week when there will at least be enough of the medical society around to make and execute a plan.

Whatever you decide hope you have a fantastic holiday season and sending prayers that it is not anything serious.

Jenny xx

fauxgypsy 12-17-2013 08:25 PM

Thank you. That is what I was thinking.

tricia keegan 12-18-2013 03:07 PM

I agree and would postpone too, a bone scan shows everything, even old injuries and I went through two months of scans and stress but (thankfully) was told all tests were negative eventually!

fauxgypsy 12-18-2013 06:54 PM

Thank you, Jenny and Tricia. It is actually two MRIs, one for my cervical area.one for arm. Two different doctors. I am sure it will be a little while before I can get in to see the neurosurgeon as well. I am sure hoping the lesion on my humerus is not an issue. I have decided that I will just not worry until after the Holidays. It will be what it is. I have no control over it. A week won't hurt anything.

Aussie Girl 12-19-2013 03:39 AM

Fauxgypsy,

I'm a pathologist. Since the lesion in the humerus is an incidental lesion and there are no symptoms, it is fine to leave it till after the holidays. The cervical MRI also OK to leave provided you are stable and no acute deterioration. Just don't delay for weeks, because you're right - it can be hard to get into a neurosurgeon.

Best Wishes

Aussie Girl

fauxgypsy 12-19-2013 08:45 AM

Thank you, Aussie Girl. I am just going to move it to the week after New Years. I am just tired and stressed and want to get through the holidays and enjoy them.

fauxgypsy 01-08-2014 04:54 PM

Update. I had the MRIs on the 6th. The lesion on my humerus is not malignant. They compared it to a previous scan and it has not changed over several years. The MRIs of my spine did not show the damage to the discs that they expected. So no neurosurgeon. There does appear to be soft tissue damage (not sure what has caused this) which must be causing the pain. I much prefer an orthopedic doctor to an oncologist or a neurosurgeon. I told my my oncologist's nurse that much as I loved him I was really happy not to have to see him until summer. Thank you all for your replies and thoughts.

Laurel 01-08-2014 06:19 PM

Whoop! Whoop! All smiles!

Jackie07 01-09-2014 05:38 AM

Thanks for the update. So glad everything's O.K.

BonnieR 01-09-2014 09:39 AM

Great news. Another example of the fact that just because we've had cancer doesn't make us immune to other ailments(although I think it should!)
I don't know the nature of your spinal problem but I will tell you that I saw an orthopedic doc for hip pain which was actually caused by my spine. He referred me to a physical therapist before resorting to injections or, worse, surgery I got amazing relief after the first treatment where he just "separated" my spine with his hands. So think conservative!
Keep the faith

fauxgypsy 01-09-2014 03:30 PM

Thanks to all. Bonnie, I think it should give us immunity as well. At least a "get out of jail free card". Actually I am just glad it is not cancer. At this point they don't really know why I am hurting but I am hoping physical therapy will help. The LANA certified therapist I had for the lymphedema was awesome.

Mtngrl 01-13-2014 03:40 PM

I definitely vote for a no-more-serious-diseases rule for anybody who already has a cancer diagnosis. Unfortunately, life is not fair.

I'm glad you're in the clear regarding bone mets. One less thing.

Happy new year.