HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   5 yrs. have past.. (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=44926)

Jean 04-28-2010 07:03 PM

5 yrs. have past..

Hello to all,
April 14th I celebrated my 5yr cancerversery
I had hesitated to share my happy news in light of the
past few months -then I considered all the members who need to hear positive news.
I enjoyed the celebration with my husband, son and friends.
I want to share with the newly dx. that the first year is the hardest - learning you have bc, then gathering the information is exhausting - and on to treatment.

The following 2nd year it begins to become easier and the memory of chemo begins to fade.
Now after 5 yrs. I am living a happy normal life. Certainly not the same happy and normal life I lead pre-bc....but that is okay. The journey has taught me so much. For instance, I was in a farmers market and I noticed a woman who was wearing a silk scarf wrapped around her head with long flowing tails down her back.
It was obvious to me that she was in chemo treatment. She glanced at me and I smiled. She smiled back, we began chatting and I told her she looked beautiful in her scarf. She had tears in her eyes and I reached out to her and hugged her and she responded and whispered in my ear that she was having chemo trt for bc. I whispered back I understood. Since then she has completed chemo
and we have become good friends. This would never have occurred prior to my dx. I would not have had the courage to approach her.

I appreciate everything - everyday. I certainly don't let the small stuff bother me at all. (I have to admit) even the
larger stuff. After bc my attitude has changed and grown into a peaceful and flexible phase. My relationships have grown and my husband & I enjoy each day with more warmth and deeper love.

I am also thankful for all the wonderful friends I have made on the board. Your wisdom, kindness is a generous gift.
I thank Christine and Joe for their wisdom to create the Her2 support group. I cannot even begin to imagine life without it.

Warmly,
Jean

Bill 04-28-2010 07:25 PM

Re: 5 yrs. have past..

Congratulations, Jean! You are a wonderful woman and will always have a special place in my heart.

Mary Jo 04-28-2010 07:38 PM

Congratulations Jean......you post here was very inspirational and oh so true. Approaching my 5 year cancerversary in a few months I feel the same way you do.

Thanks for letting us know so we, too, can share in your joy.

Many blessings Jean......

Mary Jo

flynny 04-28-2010 08:18 PM

Congrats on the 5 year mark! I love hearing all these positive stories! Thanks for sharing.

caya 04-28-2010 08:26 PM

Congrats Jean!! Wow, the 5 year mark, what a big accomplishment.

I'm coming up on 4 years out (this October), and I totally agree with you on "Don't sweat the small (or even big) stuff."

I'm also a bit more selfish, and do what's good for me, not everyone else, most of the time.

all the best
caya

StephN 04-28-2010 10:20 PM

Congratulations on becoming another member of the very elite Five Year Club!

Thank you for sharing your feelings at this important juncture in your life. And thank you for continuing to provide support and encouragement on this board.

Joe 04-28-2010 11:01 PM

Congratulations Jean..Just take it a day at a time and the years will keep rolling by. Someone sent me this interesting article about long term survivors from the NY. Times:

Long Term Survival

It was compelling as January 15th is also my youngest daughter's birthday !!

Regards
Joe

Jackie07 04-29-2010 12:14 AM

Congratulations! Jean. Thank you for being such a wonderful role-model for bc survivors. "Knowlege is power" - you certainly have proven it.

mcgle 04-29-2010 02:10 AM

More congratulations from someone 'over the pond', Jean. You were one of the first on this site to give me hope, though our diagnoses were somewhat different. Thank you for that.

Mcgle (UK) - who is also nearly five years out

lizm100 04-29-2010 05:54 AM

Jean-
wonderful news and thank you for sharing. Your story gives us hope that good things are to come to those of us who have not reached that point yet.

MJo 04-29-2010 08:58 AM

You worked hard for this milestone. Congratulations.

tricia keegan 04-29-2010 10:26 AM

Congratualtions Jean on reaching this special milestone:)

I'll be celebrating five years also in the summer and can't believe at times that all this really happened. I'm so glad you posted too and think it so important we see the good and happy threads here along with the sad. I think it provides encouragement.:)
xx

ammebarb 04-29-2010 10:59 AM

Congratulations, Jean! Your responses to my frightened first posts about my sis were life savers! I am so happy that you have celebrated that wonderful five year mark and am wishing you scores more!

It's been twenty six years since my diagnosis, and I can relate to what you say about survivorship.

It is always a gift to find the relieved and happy posts here. They are an encouragement.

Barb A.

Becky 04-29-2010 03:28 PM

Congratulations my dear friend Jean. You are an inspiration to me and all of us here on the Her2 board.

I love you!

schoolteacher 04-29-2010 03:31 PM

Congratulations Jean. You know you are my hero.

Amelia

lkc Gumby 04-29-2010 04:12 PM

congratulations Jean on your huge milestone.
I hope your celebrating in a big way!

krisvell 04-29-2010 04:21 PM

What a great accomplishment. I hope you celebrate. I just love reading success stories! It's very inspirational.

Kris....

Yorkiegirl 04-29-2010 04:33 PM

A BIG CONGRATS Jean on the 5 year mark, from another just recent 5 year person.

I just so loved your post. Thanks for posting your thoughts.

Laurel 04-29-2010 07:13 PM

Jean

I am also thankful for all the wonderful friends I have made on the board. Your wisdom, kindness is a generous gift.
I thank Christine and Joe for their wisdom to create the Her2 support group. I cannot even begin to imagine life without it.

Well said, and ditto! I am so very glad you are here on our board and celebrating life 5 yrs post dx! Here's to hoping for many, many more cancerversaries!

Paty 04-29-2010 09:38 PM

Congratulations Jean!! I am also on my way, I hope I reach the mark. I will be four years out in June and I agree with you in your views, every perspective of life changes or readjusts. Life is great even with cancer, if it hadn't been for it, we wouldn't be all here together knowing what love and compasion is, giving us support and love to one another.