HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Articles of Interest (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   hair (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55828)

janda 09-14-2012 02:00 PM

Hair not growing back help

hi im about to have my last herceptin on tuesday, i finished my chemo in november and radiotherapy in february, i was just wondering if there is anyone else out there whos hair hasnt grown back, im looking at hair systems but i think they are very expensive. JUST WONDERING IF ANYBODY HAS ANY IDEAS THAT CAN HELP ME thanks xxx

Jackie07 09-15-2012 07:43 PM

Re: hair

Hi,

Not sure what 'hair systems' are.

I was working full-time during treatment in 2007 and had to wear a wig (I used a small silk hankerchief as 'lining') for the whole year.

Below is a thread related to 'hair' - hopefully more members will chime in soon.

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...highlight=hair

'lizbeth 09-16-2012 10:09 AM

I tried Rogaine and Nioxin with little success. My hair got slightly thicker over the years, but is still very thin in the crown.

Bummer.

Rejoyce 09-16-2012 01:03 PM

Was Taxotere one of your chemo drugs? If so, you could possibly have permanent hair loss, up to 3% of us that have been on Taxotere do. I have only got back some fuzz on my head. Eyebrows and eyelashes never grew back. It has been a year and a half since my last chemo.

Nancy L 09-16-2012 03:59 PM

I am one of the Taxotere 3%. Whem my hair did not come back in 2005, I asked several oncologists why? All they said was, this is not suppose to happen. When I met with Dr Slamon in 2009, he told me about this Taxotere side effect. I used wigs but always was searching for a better solution. My hobbies are outside activities and sports and wigs don't work well on the golf course. In 2008 I went to a new shop in SF to get a cyber hair wig. When the owner was cutting the wig, we talked about my situation. She introduced me to hair replacement systems which I switched to as soon as I found a shop near my home (not so close--one hr away but worth the drive once a month.

Yes it is expensive but in life we all make trade offs on how we spend our money. I think the manufacturer of Taxotere should be paying for my hair but i don't have what it takes for a lawsuit. I heard that a woman in France did sue and settled with the drug manufacturer.

The process involves taking a mold of your head so the system is a perfect fit. The system is bonded to your head so you sleep in it, wash it on your head in the shower, etc. My husband loves it and says I have better hair now than before i had cancer. I go to the shop once a month. They take it off, service it and rebond.

Go to grafftech.com to learn more. Bette Graff is my stylist and if you give her a call, I am sure she would be happy to tell you is hair replacement is available near your home--it may not be.

Virtualreailty.com is another site to review.

Good luck. You would be surprised how many men and women wear hair. It is not just for celebs anymore.

janda 09-21-2012 01:12 PM

hi rejoyce, yes i had docetaxol every three week, im going to a dermatologist in November, but i have been going to different salons what do the hair systems, they all attach the hair differently so im going to see which is the best one for me. I have also rang my doctor and hospital to try to get funding for the hair system, as i have noticed they do take nhs so fingers crossed. Nancy your hair looks fab, my eyelashes have come back but my eyebrows are very light, also leg, underarm and ladygarden hair very rarely needs to be shaved lol. Not complaning about that. xx

'lizbeth 09-21-2012 02:16 PM

Yes,

I had the docataxel too. 6 treatments with 2 of them with a 33% increased dosage. If I had known the risk of permanent hair loss I would have made a different choice about the amount and the number of treatments. Later I saw a study that showed 4 treatments were as effective as 6. I've really regretted the additional 2 treatments. Sigh.

I have hair, but it is much thinner than before chemo, noticeably in the crown. I would love for it to be more full there.

I want to hear what the dermatologist recommends.

janda 09-22-2012 01:49 AM

hi i wouldnt regret having the six doses, i only had four and it still happened. Guess we are the unlucky few x

'lizbeth 09-22-2012 11:28 AM

That makes me feel a little better Janda. I wonder if the cool caps would have prevented the permanent hair loss.

michka 09-23-2012 02:17 AM

My heart sinks for all of you Ladies. I did not know that that was possible with Taxotere. Hugs. Michka

'lizbeth 09-24-2012 08:56 PM

I like having thick hair - it was very easy to style. Once I learned never to put conditioner on the roots of thin hair - it started looking better.