HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Mom diagnosed with breast cancer (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46430)

Joan M 08-18-2010 03:38 PM

Mom diagnosed with breast cancer

My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer after a lump was noticed in her breast. She has Alzheimer's Disease and turned 87 on August 13. She takes medications only for memory loss, as she has no other ailments, which is a twist of fate.

Due to her age and the Alzheimer's the oncologist prescribed only Femara to treat the breast cancer. My mom is strongly ER+. She's HER2-, and the cancer is slow-growing.

The diagnosis is very depressing. I was hoping that the "complex" nodule would have been benign but the biopsy showed otherwise. Also, she doesn't quite understand what's happening due to her memory loss. Please pray that she doesn't suffer.

Joan

Mary Anne in TX 08-18-2010 03:47 PM

Re: Mom diagnosed with breast cancer

Joan, I'm really sorry to hear about your mom. I too pray she will not suffer more than she already does. ma

Sheila 08-18-2010 04:18 PM

Joan
My prayers are there for strength for you and your Mom. I know how difficult this can be. I spent the night with my Mom last night....never thought she would end up with liver cancer after surviving breast cancer for 23 years....it must be very hard that your Mom doesnt understand.....be thankful that you can be there for her, as you have walked this path for years.
Take care of yourself Joan, and know that i am keeping your Mom, and all Moms who are sick, in my heart and in my prayers.

lexigirl 08-18-2010 07:01 PM

Dear Joan,

I am so sorry that your mom has been diagnosed w/ bc. I am thankful that it is slow growing and hopeful that she will do well taking the femara.

Hugs for you and your mom,
Lexi

Jackie07 08-18-2010 08:06 PM

Joan,

Is your Mother being cared for in the nursing home? It's got to be tough for her caregivers. Please know that you all are in our thoughts and prayers.

Becky 08-18-2010 08:17 PM

I will be thinking and praying for your mother. Femara can do a very, very good job on something like this with an excellent quality of life.

Hug to you

ElaineM 08-18-2010 09:00 PM

I am sorry to hear about your mother. I have my fingers crossed for her. Hopefully the Femara will help keep the cancer under control.

Faith in Him 08-18-2010 09:47 PM

Joan,

I wish the news had been better. Praying for your mom's comfort and for your strengh to get through this.

Tonya

Ceesun 08-18-2010 09:50 PM

Joan, My thoughts and good wishes are with both of you. Ceesun

Ellie F 08-19-2010 02:57 AM

Joan
I am praying for both of you that you find peace and healing.

Ellie

Pam P 08-19-2010 03:28 AM

Joan - My thoughts and prayers for you and your mom. Pam

caya 08-19-2010 06:31 AM

Sorry to hear about your mom, Joan. I pray the Femara will help her.

all the best
caya

ammebarb 08-19-2010 10:28 AM

Joan, I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. I'm also praying that she does well on the Femara and that you are able to stay strong as you love and support her through this.

Barb A.

chrisy 08-19-2010 11:16 AM

Joan,
adding my thoughts and prayers for your mom, and for you.

Chris

tricia keegan 08-19-2010 01:31 PM

Joan I'm so sorry to know your Mom has been diagnosed with this too, thankfully it's slow growing and the Femara will work well for her:)

Lien 08-19-2010 03:37 PM

Dear Joan,

That's such sad news. Let's hope Femara does its magic and stops the tumor from growing for as long as needed. She may never have to deal with any other kind of therapy for her breastcancer. She doesn't need this and neither do you.

Love
Jacqueline

Mary Jo 08-19-2010 07:53 PM

Awww Joan......I'm so sorry! In a wierd kind of way, I'm thankful your mom doesn't understand. You know what I mean? I wish it didn't have to be like this for her or for you.

She is one lucky mother to have you for a daughter. You will be their with her and will help her through this all....with love!

You are a blessing Joan and you are loved.

Mary Jo

Joan M 08-21-2010 02:39 PM

Thank you for your prayers and support. My mom would feel the same, too, if she knew. I'll tell her anyway, as I never know what she might understand. Being part of our HER2 community is a very special privilege. Christine and Joe have made a very special place for us.

Joan

Cannon 08-21-2010 02:48 PM

Hi Joan,
So sorry to hear this news - God knows you didn't need one more thing to handle. Wishing you and your mom good health.

suzan w 08-21-2010 08:25 PM

This disease just does not know when to quit, eh? Good luck to your mom, it seems like you will know the right things to say to her!!