HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   working while on taxol? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56925)

KayeR 12-27-2012 06:38 PM

working while on taxol?

I have recently had to add taxol to my regimine due to parcardial effusion. I was hoping to never have to go through chemo again (the AC I had back in 2000 was really hard on me) but when I was laid up in the hospital for 11 days and given the choice of having a permanent drain put in to drain the fluid that had accumulated around my heart or to start chemo to hopefully wipe out the fluid, I choose the chemo. My doctor assured me that taxol was a much easier chemo then AC and so far it has been (I received my 5th infusion yesterday). I have tolerated the treatments pretty well so far. And the good news is that the last 3 echos following the start of chemo have shown no additional fluid around the heart, so that seems to be a good indication that the chemo is doing its job. I have taken off work temporarily recovering from this lastest set back but I would like to return in mid January (I'm a highschool teacher). I was hoping that some of you might be able to share with me your experience of working while on taxol.

chicagoetc 12-27-2012 07:34 PM

Re: working while on taxol?

KayR,

I think responses to Taxol differ from person to person. I worked through receiving it though ran into some problems right at the beginning and then towards the end (some side effects of the Taxol). Others I know have had no problems at all. Sounds like you have done fine so far which may be a good sign. Regardless it did not stop me from working. Sounds you have had prior complications that I did not have. Still, Taxol is Taxol and I hope this helps!

Melanie

carolanno 12-27-2012 07:56 PM

I've had 2 12-week courses of Taxol and it was not that bad at all for me. There may have been some cumulative fatigue over time, but nothing that kept me from working. exercise and eating well helps increase energy. I hope it continues to go well for you. I'd say returning to work in mid-January seems very reasonable.

Barbara H. 12-27-2012 08:08 PM

I was first diagnosed in 1998. I had AC and then Taxol. I started AC during the summer and finished Taxol on Dec. 24th. I teach and worked the entire time. I actually found Taxol to be more difficult than AC.
Best,
Barbara H.

KayeR 12-28-2012 12:04 PM

Thank you for your responses. It is encouraging to hear from some of you that have done it successfully! :)

Redwolf8812 12-28-2012 10:13 PM

I was on taxol with carbo every 3 weeks for @ 8 months and worked through it, although my office job is nowhere near as tough as a high school teacher. I did have to occasionally go home early or go in late within the first week after treatments. There were times I wanted to just quit but the thought of being left home alone with my own thoughts kept me going back! Sounds like you'll be fine. Just take it day by day.

- Penny

MJo 12-31-2012 01:11 PM

I worked too, although I was tired and maybe a little dazed. I worked at a desk, not in front of a high school class. I've heard that kids can be very compassionate when they know a teacher is fighting cancer.

CoolBreeze 12-31-2012 01:42 PM

I was a high school secretary. I had to give up my job last summer, but I did work on taxol. No problems for me at all.

I've been on one chemo or another for three straight years now and am got too tired to work full-time. But it took me a while to get there. Here's hoping you will be fine.

chrisy 12-31-2012 02:17 PM

I also worked through all the chemos I've been on, although I did go on disability for a while due to clinical trial requirements and a bum leg. I too have an office job and a very understanding employer, and admit I was not always at my best. But as others have said, everyone is different! Hoping along with Ann that you will be able to continue working without too many issues if that is what you want to do.

Joanne S 12-31-2012 04:19 PM

Kaye, The only problem I can recall I had with Taxol is that it effected my internal thermostat. I shivered terribly with my first Taxol infusion. To this day, when I get cold, I have a lot of trouble warming up. I never went back to work so I can't really say. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Please take care and don't rush getting back to work until you have enough strength. Hugs, Joanne